Best Cable Modem Docsis 3.1 – We focus on DOCSIS 3.0 modems, though you’ll also find DOCSIS 3.1 modems rolling out that are capable of delivering speeds that top 1Gbps; if you’re receiving DOCSiS 3.1 service, look for a device that can take advantage of those faster speeds.
If you don’t get speeds greater than 1 Gbps with your internet service, you can still with a DOCSIS 3.0 device like the ones reviewed above.
We haven’t tested DOCSIS 3.1 modems yet, but we can point to a few models with strong word of mouth.
ROUND UPback to menu ↑
1.Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
Next up is my upgrade pick, the ARRIS SURFboard SB8300. It’s pricey, but when you consider the features, it’s easy to see why.
First, it’s a dual modem-router capable of delivering direct speeds up to 4 Gbps (via four 1-gigabit Ethernet ports). It has a quick-connect app for easy WiFi management. You can even voice-manage WiFi settings with Alexa.
As for wireless connectivity, the built-in router is equipped with a powerful Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent wireless antenna. While this isn’t the latest Wifi 6 protocol, WiFi reception should not be a problem, even in medium to larger-sized homes.back to menu ↑
2.ARRIS SURFboard SB6121
- This Certified Refurbished product is manufacturer refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty. IMPORTANT NOTEL: A few units might show the brand as Motorola (and not Arris) as Arris had acquired Motorola for 2 years; hence it will be the same product and the same model
- Requires CABLE Internet Service, if not sure your provider is CABLE call them to confirm. Does NOT work with Charter cable provider.
The Arris SURFboard SB8200 is first on our list. This DOCSIS 3.1 modem allows you to reach those top speeds but without having to fork out a fortune for some of the more complex modems on the market.
Next up is the Netgear Nighthawk CM1200. This DOCSIS 3.1 modem is the perfect choice if you want to cut back on rental fees without having to sacrifice the faster speeds that DOCSIS 3.1 technology offers.
The Motorola MB8600 ranks in third place. This modem is a great choice if you’re looking for super fast internet speeds but with minimal lag. It’s the perfect fit for keen gamers.
The Netgear Nighthawk C7800 Modem-Router Combo is a great choice if you don’t want to buy an additional router. You get all the great connectivity you need in one product, all while saving on rental fees.back to menu ↑
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 2Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps) and Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers may change over time. Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- Works with any WiFi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices
The Netgear Nighthawk C7800 modem-router combo is the perfect choice if you want a device that will be able to tackle all of your internet connectivity needs. This product combines both a modem and a router, so you won’t have to worry about buying an additional router in order to get connected to the internet. This modem-router combo is also designed to work with the fastest speeds, and is capable of delivering up to 2 Gigabits of speed depending on your internet package.
This particular modem-router combo is widely compatible with a range of internet service providers. It makes use of the latest DOCSIS 3.1 technology to deliver super fast speeds to make it one of the most competitive models on the market. It’s also equipped with DOCSIS 3.0 technology as well as 32×8 channel bonding.back to menu ↑
4.NETGEAR Cable Modem CM600
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
The Netgear CM600 is a 24×8 DOCSIS 3.0 modem that supports the same performance levels as the Motorola MB7621, though it is slightly more expensive. The biggest downside is that, although the CM600 has positive reviews from owners, it comes with only a one-year warranty, whereas most modems come with a two-year warranty.
There are only two ethernet ports, which let you plug in devices with a cable, which is faster and more reliable – but obviously you have to trail a cable between them. Overall, despite its modest performance, it can handle Zoom calls and 4K streaming (i.e. pin sharp TV shows and movies) with ease.back to menu ↑
5.ARRIS Surfboard SBG8300-RB
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem, AC2350 Dual band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U S Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others Cable internet service required Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
A great feature of this modem-router combo is that it’s suitable for use with the vast majority of major US cable internet providers. So you won’t have to worry about checking whether it’s suitable for use in your home. This modem-router combo makes use of the latest DOCSIS 3.1 technology for super fast internet speeds. It features 4 1 Gigabit ports to help you achieve the fastest speeds your internet provider is able to offer you.
A handy feature of this modem-router combo is that you can easily manage your network using the SURFboard manager app. This allows you to manage your WiFi settings. You can also configure your modem-router combo device for use with Alexa for easier usability.back to menu ↑
- Support all cable internet speed tiers, up to Gigabit (1000 Mbps) service. Separate router required for Wi-Fi
- Docsis 3. 1 up to 10x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 3. 0. Docsis 3. 1 is OFDM 2x2+ DOCSIS 3. 0 32x8 channel bonding
If your endgame is Gigabit-speed Internet then you will have to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem sooner or later. The main benefit of this technology is that its max downstream caps out at 10Gbps and its upstream caps out at 2 Gbps. This is a massive improvement over DOCSIS 3.0, which throttles your downstream at 100 Mbps.
This is the case even if you have a solid router (which you should) because a home network can only be as strong as its weakest link. That’s why an updated modem is so important for getting top speeds. The same can also be said for an updated router, though.back to menu ↑
- THREE-IN-ONE CABLE MODEM, AC1900 ROUTER, AND XFINITY COMPATIBLE VOICE PORTS - Includes 24X8 DOCSIS 3. 0 cable modem, AC1900 Dual Band (2. 4GHz and 5GHz) Gigabit Router, four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, and two XFINITY Voice compatible phone ports. This product is approved by Comcast for Xfinity Internet and Voice, and recommended by Comcast for XFINITY Internet service speeds up to 400 Mbps.
- REQUIRES COMCAST XFINITY INTERNET SERVICE. Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1. This product will not work with any other Internet service provider.
When looking at the connection speeds, this is great, especially when using the Ethernet port. Even with multiple devices connected, these speeds are still impressive. The proactive network security is a fantastic feature that will help to shield you from specific security attacks too.
Overall, it is easy to see why this is a popular choice, and the 6 Gbps maximum speeds are impressive.back to menu ↑
Best Cable Modem Docsis 3.1 – In this article, we chat you through our top five picks for the best Docsis 3.1 modems.
We have carefully considered these choices, and have based our recommendations on the research we have carried out. We have taken into consideration aspects such as the cost, connection speeds, and compatibility.