Best Cable Modem Docsis 3.1 – We focus on DOCSIS 3.0 modems, though you’ll also find DOCSIS 3.1 modems rolling out that are capable of delivering speeds that top 1Gbps; if you’re receiving DOCSiS 3.1 service, look for a device that can take advantage of those faster speeds.
If you don’t get speeds greater than 1 Gbps with your internet service, you can still with a DOCSIS 3.0 device like the ones reviewed above.
We haven’t tested DOCSIS 3.1 modems yet, but we can point to a few models with strong word of mouth.
1.Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d like, including Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mesh routers like eero, Google Wi-Fi, and Orbi. A 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port allows connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides advanced security from denial-of service attacks.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) - AQM significantly reduces Internet latency on both DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 services, resulting in faster page loads for all Web traffic and enhanced interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing. The MB8600 also includes a full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
Next up is my upgrade pick, the ARRIS SURFboard SB8300. It’s pricey, but when you consider the features, it’s easy to see why.
First, it’s a dual modem-router capable of delivering direct speeds up to 4 Gbps (via four 1-gigabit Ethernet ports). It has a quick-connect app for easy WiFi management. You can even voice-manage WiFi settings with Alexa.
As for wireless connectivity, the built-in router is equipped with a powerful Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent wireless antenna. While this isn’t the latest Wifi 6 protocol, WiFi reception should not be a problem, even in medium to larger-sized homes.
2.ARRIS SURFboard SB6121
- This Certified Refurbished product is manufacturer refurbished, shows limited or no wear, and includes all original accessories plus a 90-day warranty. IMPORTANT NOTEL: A few units might show the brand as Motorola (and not Arris) as Arris had acquired Motorola for 2 years; hence it will be the same product and the same model
- Requires CABLE Internet Service, if not sure your provider is CABLE call them to confirm. Does NOT work with Charter cable provider.
- Compatible with MOST Major CABLE providers like Comcast/Xfinity, Cox, Time Warner, Mediacom, Bright House.
- Wired modem only, does NOT include WIFI Router or VOIP Telephone adapter. Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or Router for fast downloads.
- Internet download speeds up to 172 Mbps and upload speeds up to 131 Mbps based on your Cable provider service. Good for streaming Video and gaming on multiple devices at a time.
The Arris SURFboard SB8200 is first on our list. This DOCSIS 3.1 modem allows you to reach those top speeds but without having to fork out a fortune for some of the more complex modems on the market.
Next up is the Netgear Nighthawk CM1200. This DOCSIS 3.1 modem is the perfect choice if you want to cut back on rental fees without having to sacrifice the faster speeds that DOCSIS 3.1 technology offers.
The Motorola MB8600 ranks in third place. This modem is a great choice if you’re looking for super fast internet speeds but with minimal lag. It’s the perfect fit for keen gamers.
The Netgear Nighthawk C7800 Modem-Router Combo is a great choice if you don’t want to buy an additional router. You get all the great connectivity you need in one product, all while saving on rental fees.
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 2Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps) and Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers may change over time. Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- Works with any WiFi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM1200 replaces your cable modem saving you up to 168 dollars/yr in equipment rental fees
- Four (4) Gigabit Ethernet ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, separate WiFi router, printer, game box, and other devices
- Modem technology: Engineered with 32x8 channel bonding, OFDM 2x2, and DOCSIS 3.1
- Multi-gig ethernet: Link aggregation combines two 1G ports into one 2G port for faster wired ethernet speed.
The Netgear Nighthawk C7800 modem-router combo is the perfect choice if you want a device that will be able to tackle all of your internet connectivity needs. This product combines both a modem and a router, so you won’t have to worry about buying an additional router in order to get connected to the internet. This modem-router combo is also designed to work with the fastest speeds, and is capable of delivering up to 2 Gigabits of speed depending on your internet package.
This particular modem-router combo is widely compatible with a range of internet service providers. It makes use of the latest DOCSIS 3.1 technology to deliver super fast speeds to make it one of the most competitive models on the market. It’s also equipped with DOCSIS 3.0 technology as well as 32×8 channel bonding.
4.NETGEAR Cable Modem CM600
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router).Memory: 8 MB NOR flash and 128 MB RAM
- Support Cable Internet Service plans up to 300Mbps. Recommended for all speed tiers up to 500 Mbps. Separate router required for WiFi. 24x8 channel bonding
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. DOCSIS 3.0 unleashes 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- Ideal for streaming 4K UHD content, fastest downloads, and high-speed online gaming
The Netgear CM600 is a 24×8 DOCSIS 3.0 modem that supports the same performance levels as the Motorola MB7621, though it is slightly more expensive. The biggest downside is that, although the CM600 has positive reviews from owners, it comes with only a one-year warranty, whereas most modems come with a two-year warranty.
There are only two ethernet ports, which let you plug in devices with a cable, which is faster and more reliable – but obviously you have to trail a cable between them. Overall, despite its modest performance, it can handle Zoom calls and 4K streaming (i.e. pin sharp TV shows and movies) with ease.
5.ARRIS Surfboard SBG8300-RB
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem, AC2350 Dual band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U S Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others Cable internet service required Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream DOCSIS 3 1 OFDM channels Best for cable internet speed plans up to 4 Gbps. Cable internet service required
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app Add SURFboard skills to your Alexa network for voice management of your Wi-Fi settings
- ARRIS REFURBISHED only SBG8300-RB with part number 1000926-RB
A great feature of this modem-router combo is that it’s suitable for use with the vast majority of major US cable internet providers. So you won’t have to worry about checking whether it’s suitable for use in your home. This modem-router combo makes use of the latest DOCSIS 3.1 technology for super fast internet speeds. It features 4 1 Gigabit ports to help you achieve the fastest speeds your internet provider is able to offer you.
A handy feature of this modem-router combo is that you can easily manage your network using the SURFboard manager app. This allows you to manage your WiFi settings. You can also configure your modem-router combo device for use with Alexa for easier usability.
- Support all cable internet speed tiers, up to Gigabit (1000 Mbps) service. Separate router required for Wi-Fi
- Docsis 3. 1 up to 10x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 3. 0. Docsis 3. 1 is OFDM 2x2+ DOCSIS 3. 0 32x8 channel bonding
- Eliminate monthly cable Modem rental fees - up to $156 per year. Meets DOCSIS 3. 1 specifications and is backward compatible with DOCSIS 3. 0 networks
- System Requirements- Cable broadband Internet service, Please check your cable Internet service provider web site for data speed tier compatibility and to ensure it provides DOCSIS 3.1 service, otherwise this modem will only work as a DOCSIS 3.0 modem,Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, or other operating systems running a TCP/IP network, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- CM1000-1AZNAS is not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink. Not compatible with cable bundled voice services
If your endgame is Gigabit-speed Internet then you will have to upgrade to a DOCSIS 3.1 modem sooner or later. The main benefit of this technology is that its max downstream caps out at 10Gbps and its upstream caps out at 2 Gbps. This is a massive improvement over DOCSIS 3.0, which throttles your downstream at 100 Mbps.
This is the case even if you have a solid router (which you should) because a home network can only be as strong as its weakest link. That’s why an updated modem is so important for getting top speeds. The same can also be said for an updated router, though.
- THREE-IN-ONE CABLE MODEM, AC1900 ROUTER, AND XFINITY COMPATIBLE VOICE PORTS - Includes 24X8 DOCSIS 3. 0 cable modem, AC1900 Dual Band (2. 4GHz and 5GHz) Gigabit Router, four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, and two XFINITY Voice compatible phone ports. This product is approved by Comcast for Xfinity Internet and Voice, and recommended by Comcast for XFINITY Internet service speeds up to 400 Mbps.
- REQUIRES COMCAST XFINITY INTERNET SERVICE. Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1. This product will not work with any other Internet service provider.
- ELIMINATE UP TO 156 Dollars IN CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES PER YEAR – Say goodbye to monthly rental fees and landline phone costs.
- BUILT-IN HIGH-SPEED ROUTER WITH AC1900 WIRELESS AND POWER BOOST - provides Internet access for WiFi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, and more. Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers and other Ethernet-capable devices. A Broadcom cable modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks.
- WIRELESS POWER BOOST FOR BETTER SPEED AND RANGE - adds high-performance WiFi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant boost in speed and range. In addition, AnyBeam beamforming at both 2. 4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range. NOT included is a backup battery option (Model 98250) that allows your phone to make calls for 8 hours on standby after power loss.
When looking at the connection speeds, this is great, especially when using the Ethernet port. Even with multiple devices connected, these speeds are still impressive. The proactive network security is a fantastic feature that will help to shield you from specific security attacks too.
Overall, it is easy to see why this is a popular choice, and the 6 Gbps maximum speeds are impressive.
Best Cable Modem Docsis 3.1 – In this article, we chat you through our top five picks for the best Docsis 3.1 modems.
We have carefully considered these choices, and have based our recommendations on the research we have carried out. We have taken into consideration aspects such as the cost, connection speeds, and compatibility.