Best Cable Modem for 300 Mbps – Knowing which device is perfect for you and your preferences is essential if you want a seamless internet service.
First you need to decide if you prefer a separate Cable modem and WiFi router (two boxes) or a combo modem/router on one box. The first option is more flexible (and has better performance) while the second option is for people who want simplicity and less management overheads (and less wires in the home).
1.NETGEAR Cable Modem CM500
Pros & Cons
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM500 replaces your cable modem, saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps).
- Works with any wifi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate WiFi router.
- Modem technology: Engineered with 16x4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0.
While we don’t expect your modem to function as a piece of art, many people are still concerned that it will be an eyesore. This particular model has a sleek and sophisticated look, though the shiny exterior can easily smudge. It also doesn’t have the best ventilation, so you will want to keep it in a cool, open area to prevent overheating. Overall, however, reviewers at Top Ten Reviews found that despite the CM500’s low price, it’s competitive with top-tier modems.
“ Netgear CM500 performed extremely well on a network stressed by running four simultaneous bandwidth-hogging applications, including three large game file downloads on a PC, XBox One, and PS4 Pro and 4K Netflix streaming,” they wrote. While it’s best running at only 300 Mbps or lower, they tested up to 400 Mbps and didn’t have issues.
2.Motorola MB8600 DOCSIS
Pros & Cons
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d like, including Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mesh routers like eero, Google Wi-Fi, and Orbi. A 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port allows connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides advanced security from denial-of service attacks.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) - AQM significantly reduces Internet latency on both DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 services, resulting in faster page loads for all Web traffic and enhanced interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing. The MB8600 also includes a full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
When buying a modem, it’s imperative that you make sure it will work with either your current router or the router you plan to purchase. The Motorola MB8600 relieves you of that stress—it’s capable of connecting to any Wi-Fi router and, on top of that, has a two-year warranty.
The design is functional, if not particularly attractive, and it has good ventilation to prevent it from overheating. There’s also built-in protection against service attacks and power surges. Reviewers noted that the MB8600 was easy to set up and connect, and confirmed that it worked well with multiple ISPs.
3.ARRIS Surfboard SB6183-RB
Pros & Cons
- APPROVED with Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse), Cox and more. If not sure call your cable provider to find out if approved to use. REQUIRES Cable Internet Service. Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router). NO support for Cable TELCO options
- Internet speeds up to 686 Mbps on 16 Download Channels and 131 Mbps on 4 Upload Channels, based on your cable ISP subscription. Approved for plans up to 400Mbps. Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or router
- Great for streaming HD Video and gaming on multiple devices at a time
- 90 Day Warranty. ARRIS Certified Refurbished. US Technical support. ARRIS Certified Refurbished products will ALWAYS be branded ARRIS, Never Motorola! If you get Motorola branded product they are illegitimate, need to be returned to Seller and Reported to Amazon
The Arris Surfboard SB6183 was once our pick for the best cable modem thanks to its solid performance that will satisfy most home internet customers who don’t pay for high-speed service, though this older modem is harder to find these days. (As of this writing, Best Buy is selling the SB6183.) If you can track down the SB6183 at a competitive price, its two-year warranty also is a big plus.
At 5.2 x 5 x 2.1 inches, the all-white SB6183 can be tucked unobtrusively next to a router, cable box and whatever other hardware you have on hand. The coaxial-cable connector is a little too close to the power connector for my taste, but you’re likely to have to deal with that only when setting up the modem.
4.ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
Pros & Cons
- A Trusted Name in Home Connectivity: Better connectivity, better speed. The ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem is designed to bring you superior connectivity, increase your network capability and provide faster streaming and downloading throughout your home. From a trusted brand with over 260 million modems sold and growing.
- Save Money: Own your modem and save. Reduce your cable bill up to $168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings vary by cable service provider). Certified for use with most U.S. cable internet service providers. For a complete list see additional details below.
- Modem Technology: DOCSIS 3.1 is the newest technology available from cable internet providers. Its 10x faster than DOCSIS 3.0, provides better security, reduces lag while gaming & enables multi-gig networking (ability to run fast speeds on your copper cable from your internet provider).
- Simple and Secure Set-up: Plug-in the device, download the SURFboard Central App, and follow the instructions to activate the modem. Connect to a Wi-Fi router for networking.
- Compatibility: The SURFboard SB8200 is compatible with major U.S. cable internet providers including Cox (Gigablast), Spectrum (Internet Gig), Xfinity (Blast!/Extreme Pro) and others. It's approved for cable internet speed plans up to 1-Gbps. Check your Internet Service Provider (ISP) website to confirm compatibility.
- What's in the Box: When you purchase you will get an ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 Cable Modem, Power Supply, Quick-Start guide, and 2-year warranty card.
- Ethernet Ports: Has two 1-Gigabit ethernet ports to connect to a Wi-Fi router or other wired device.
- Dedicated Customer Support: Live Chat and Phone Support available 8am -1am EST. Product ships with 2-Year Limited Warranty.
The Arris SURFboard SB8200 is among the very first modems to allow users to quickly download by supporting both the new and older version of the DOCSIS system. When the SURFboard was first introduced, it seemed way ahead of its time since it supported the DOCSIS standard, which had not yet been spread among users. Most internet providers prefer using the Arris cable modems and the Arris SURFboard is a future proof modem.
The next-gen cable modem is under less risk of overheating compared to other modems. It has been completely covered with a cut-out that facilitates better airflow. The modem is very lightweight and can be easily moved from one place to another. It is also pretty small with a compact design that enables it to be tucked away in tight spaces.
Pros & Cons
- input voltage：120 -240V
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and Cable bundled voice services
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C7000 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to $150/yr in equipment rental fees. System Requirements Cable broadband Internet service, Check your cable Internet service provider web site for data speed tier compatibility, Not compatible with Cable bundled voice services, Microsoft Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- BUILT FOR FAST SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 400 Mbps speed
- FAST Wi Fi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1800 sq ft wireless coverage and 30 devices connected with AC1900 speed (up to 1900 Mbps)
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 USB ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: Engineered with 24x8 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0
- SAFE & SECURE: Includes parental controls, and supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols
Netgear’s Nighthawk CM2000 is a high-performance cable modem with a sleek design that looks the part. It can keep up with the fastest internet plans available today—and well into the future—thanks to its support for the latest DOCSIS 3.1 standards. With two upstream and two downstream OFDM channels, you can achieve download speeds of up to 2.5Gbps and upload speeds reaching 800Mbps.
Don’t worry if your ISP doesn’t support DOCSIS 3.1 yet, though, as the CM2000 is fully backward compatible with the more common DOCSIS 3.0 technology, featuring 32×8 channel support so it can handle the fastest sub-gigabit plans too. Around the back you’ll find a 2.5Gbps Ethernet port so you can connect a compatible router like Netgear’s RAX120 or Orbi AX6000 and get the maximum possible speeds for your home network with only a single Cat 6 Ethernet cable.
Pros & Cons
- This modem works only with Verizon DSL and is not Compatible with Verizon FIOS
- Three products in one: a full rate ADSL 2/2+ modem, 4-port switch and dual-antenna Wireless N router
- Specifically designed for use with Verizon High Speed Internet Service
- Rigorously tested to ensure the highest levels of compatibility and performance
- Includes high-grade firewall, parental controls and a variety of protections and encryptions
Solve network connectivity issues with the Actiontec GT784WNV 300 Mbps four-port wireless router. Effortlessly compatible with all major DSL providers, this modem also provides 24 Mbps of downstream to support IPTV, and is also compatible with ADSL2+, which routinely allows you to triple the bandwidth. With 902.11n built-in Wi-Fi, you can enjoy streamlined speeds with added backwards compatibility, ensuring that older devices are always supported.
Security features on this modem include a fully customizable firewall with Stateful Packet Inspection, in addition to denial-of-service protection, intrusion detection, encryption, and content filtering. Feel secure and safe with a reliable, fast connection when you use this efficient combination DSL and ADSL2+ modem.
Pros & Cons
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more; Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router), Interfaces: Cable: F type female 75 ohm
- Experience high speed Wi Fi speeds from your existing ISP plans up to 300 Mbps; Ideal for HD media streaming, simultaneous online gaming, web surfing and more
- Features Intel Puma 6 chipset to achieve high speed downstream and upstream performance
- Easy plug and play setup
The Linksys CM3024 is a 24 x 8 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with max downstream speeds up to 960 Mbps and upstream speeds of up to 122 Mbps with channel-bonding technology to maximize data-transfer efficiency. We tested it on Comcast Xfinity’s 400 Mbps speed tier, and it worked without issue while we simultaneously streamed and downloaded multiple large files.
Its performance was typical for our tests, as all the modems we tested handled the same setup with very little variation. Still, if you’re subscribed to internet speeds above 300 Mbps, the CM3024’s extra channels give it an advantage over 16 x 4 modems like the Asus CM-16.
Best Cable Modem for 300 Mbps – As a Network Engineer, I have bought a bunch of modems and tested them against each other.
And out of these, I have concluded that the best cable modem is the Motorola MB8600, which proved itself as a reliable, high-performing modem for a good price.