Best Cable Modem for 4k Streaming – Whether you’re trying to handle streaming in 4K, multiple streams, or divvying up bandwidth between Netflix and your roommate’s daily Zoom conference call with their whole family, these routers won’t leave you buffering.
Our pick for most households is the Linksys EA7500 Max Stream because it offers great performance at a reasonable price.
- BUILT FOR FASTEST MULTI-GIG SPEEDS: Best for cable provider plans up to 2.5Gbps
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, COX and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, ATandT, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- WORKS WITH ANY WIFI ROUTER, BEST WITH WIFI 6: Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices. For the fastest Internet, connect to a NETGEAR WiFi 6 router or Orbi Mesh system.
- MULTI-GIG ETHERNET: 1 x 2.5Gbps Ethernet port for the fastest, true multi-gig Internet connections.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Replaces your cable modem saving you up to dollar 168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: Engineered with DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 channel bonding and OFDM(A) 2x2.
With max speeds up to 6 Gbps, a range up to 3,500 square feet, and capacity for more than 40 connected devices, the NETGEAR Nighthawk AX12 is probably overkill.
But if you’re looking for top-of-the-line equipment that can handle all your 4K streaming, gaming, and other internet activities without breaking a sweat, this is your router.
2.ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 2 Gbps. Note, a 2nd IP address is required from your cable internet provider to reach 2 Gbps.
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
- Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- Cable internet service required; Does not inlcude Wi-Fi and does not support cable digital voice service
The SB6190 is also certified by all the major cable providers, so you won’t have any problem getting it going with your ISP of choice, and the DOCSIS 3.0 32×8 channel bonding can deliver download speeds of up to 1.2Gbps and upload speeds reaching over 200Mbps.
There’s only a single Gigabit Ethernet port on the back, but Arris expects that most users will be adding their own Wi-Fi router into the mix anyway. The coaxial cable connection is a bit awkwardly placed—it’s very close to the power connector, but once it’s plugged in that’s not something you’ll need to deal with, and we think the compact size of the SB6190 makes it worth the tradeoff.
- This 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 686 Mbps, sixteen times faster than DOCSIS 2.0. A Full-Band Capture digital tuner ensures a faster, more reliable Internet.
- Cable modem's Ethernet port connects to a computer, HDTV, game station, or wireless router. (This Model MB7420 cable modem does NOT have a built-in wireless router and does not have a telephone adapter or phone jack. The Motorola MG7310, MG7315, MG7540 and MG7550 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service. Certified by Comcast XFINITY for residential speeds up to Extreme 300, by Comcast Business for speeds up to Deluxe 250, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse, and other leading cable service providers for modem ownership programs that typically save rental charges of 120 dollar or more per year
- Setup is fast and easy with a few quick steps set out in a Quick Start guide. Experienced USA-based customer support specialists are there to help if you need them.
The MB7621 also features an attractive low-profile design that means you can leave it in plain sight without the risk of it looking like an eyesore, and it won’t take up much space.
It’s also certified for use with all major cable providers, including Comcast Xfinity for speeds of up to 600Mbps and Spectrum and Cox for 400Mbps plans, so you can have it up and running out of the box in mere minutes. A single Gigabit Ethernet port on the back gives you a full-speed connection to your wireless router, although it lacks support for voice services.
4.NETGEAR Cable Modem CM500
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM500 replaces your cable modem, saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps).
- Works with any wifi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate WiFi router.
- Modem technology: Engineered with 16x4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0.
The Netgear CM500 remains one of the best cable modems available, because it’s easy to find at most retailers; you can also find it for a little less than the Motorola MB7420 most of the time, making it a good value. (Modem prices can fluctuate so keep an eye peeled for the best tech deals when shopping for a cable modem.) Anytime you can find a new CM500 for $50 or less, that’s a good buy.
The Netgear CM500 works with the biggest cable providers and supports speeds of up to 300 Mbps, which should be enough for the vast majority of Internet users out there. (If you’ve got a high-speed plan, look for a faster modem.)
5.TP-Link – Archer AX11000
Aiming for a gaming audience, AX11000 sets itself apart from the competition as one of the best performing Wi-Fi 6 routers on the market right now. If your streaming device is compatible, there’s a considerable difference in making sure your best router for streaming is also Wi-Fi 6 ready. Providing you have a good environment for Wi-Fi signals, Wi-Fi 6 performs just as well as a wired ethernet connection.
It’s major issue it’s it’s laser focused gamer targets, which will put off some streaming enthusiasts for a cheaper model, don’t fall for this trap. AX11000 is great for big families and heavy streamers, making sure everyone has incredible bandwidth and signal strength.
- Provides up to 1,500 square feet of Wi-Fi coverage for 15plus wireless devices
- Works with existing modem, simple setup through Linksys App
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- Dual band Wi-Fi speeds up to 1.9 Gaps (2.4 GHz/ 600 Mbps) plus (5 GHz/ 1300 Mbps). Minimum system requirements - Internet Explorer versions 8 and newer, Safari 5 (for Mac), Firefox 8, Google Chrome
- MU MIMO (Multi User Multiple Input Multiple Output) provides Wi-Fi to multiple devices at once, at the same high speed
Linksys is putting it’s money on MU-MIMO support with this best router for streaming, and providing your streaming device is compatible with the technology, you’ll get a lot out of it. Otherwise, its high price point doesn’t make EA7500 as competitive as other routers in its band currently.
It’s a clear performer for management options and for an all round family router for a mid-range option however. It’s a good option for introducing 802.11ac Wi-Fi into your home alongside it’s user-friendly options and settings in the Linksys companion app which is why it made the list. Just make sure that you can take full advantage of it’s features before purchasing.
7.NETGEAR Cable Modem
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C6220 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to Dollar 168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- SPEEDS BY CARRIER: Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps), Spectrum (up to 100Mbps).
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1200 sq ft wireless coverage and 20 devices connected with AC1200 speed (up to 1200 Mbps).
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 USB port give you fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices.
Users can expect around 20% improvement on download speeds when compared to stock ISP routers, providing a user’s home isn’t full of obstacles and made of lead.
It’s also 802.11ac compatible and dual band (2.4Ghz and 5 Ghz) which is amazing for the price, with two 1 Ghz ethernet ports for wired purists. It might be an idea to check if this router will be compatible with higher-end ISP packages though, as C6220 isn’t going to support anything over 250Gbps. Although small families and single users won’t need to worry about getting a large internet bundle anyway. This is the perfect router for one or two concurrent streamers and casual users.
Best Cable Modem for 4k Streaming – Most modern routers can handle video streaming. But if you’re looking for the absolute best for your 4K streaming experience, we recommend the Linksys EA8300 Max-Stream router. It has speeds fast enough for streaming, gaming, and other bandwidth-hogging activities without buffering.
Of course, different home networks have different needs. So here are our top five router recommendations to keep you connected.