Best Cable Modem for Cable One – These days, makers of home networking gear seem to favor modem-router combinations over standalone cable modems. It may be tempting to buy one of these hybrid networking devices instead of a separate modem and router, as you can take care of two tasks with one device. We’d advise against modem-router combos, though.
First, some background: as our modem-vs.-router comparison explains, the two devices serve very different purposes. A cable modem brings internet connectivity into your home while the best routers distribute that internet connection wirelessly, so that all your devices — laptops, phones, and smart-home gadgets — can hop on the internet. If you’re dissatisfied with the reach of your network, it’s a router, not a modem, that you should be in the market for.
- Integrated cable modem and WiFi 6 satellite system provides high-performance WiFi coverage for up to 5,000 sq. ft. and 40+ devices. Expand coverage by 2,500 sq. ft. with each optional Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 satellite (sold separately)
- DOCSIS 3.1 modem supports internet plans up to 4Gbps and is compatible with most cable service providers. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps), Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers are subject to change over time
- Fast AX4200 Gigabit speed with WiFi 6 technology for uninterrupted streaming, HD video gaming, and web conferencing
- Save up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees
- Sets up in minutes with the Orbi App; easily manage WiFi settings, test internet speed, and monitor data usage
One of the first Wi-Fi 6 mesh networking kits available, the Netgear Orbi WiFi 6 (RBK852) takes its place at the top of the food chain, becoming one of the best mesh routers available.
Netgear’s two-piece Orbi RBK852 hits the mark for Wi-Fi 6 homes with a mix of good throughput, a dedicated backhaul channel for data from the satellites to the router as well as extra online security.
2.NETGEAR Cable Modem CM500
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM500 replaces your cable modem, saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps).
- Works with any wifi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate WiFi router.
- Modem technology: Engineered with 16x4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0.
In our cable modem tests, the Netgear CM500 performed extremely well on a network stressed by running four simultaneous bandwidth-hogging applications, including three large game file downloads on a PC, XBox One and PS4 Pro and 4K Netflix streaming.
Though it’s recommended for internet packages advertising speeds of 300 Mbps or lower, we ran our tests using Comcast Xfinity’s 400 Mbps speed package, and it performed admirably. Still, if you need a high-speed modem, we recommend the Motorola MB7621 instead. It’s a little more powerful and can handle higher speeds.
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d like, including Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mesh routers like eero, Google Wi-Fi, and Orbi. A 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port allows connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides advanced security from denial-of service attacks.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) - AQM significantly reduces Internet latency on both DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 services, resulting in faster page loads for all Web traffic and enhanced interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing. The MB8600 also includes a full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
The Motorola MB8600 is an easy choice. At some , it makes a gratifying upgrade for those moving from a sub-Gigabit to a Gigabit cable broadband plan.
If you’re in that situation, go for it, you won’t regret it.
Dong’s note: I tested the Motorola SM8600 with Comcast. While the modem will work with other cable providers, the experience expressed here is that of Xfinity subscribers.
- Eliminate Your Cable Modem Monthly Rental Fee
- Item is Cable Modem Router and great with Cable Internet plans up to 150Mbps
- Certified for XFINITY from Comcast, Spectrum (Including Charter, Time Warner Cable, and Bright House Networks), Cox, Suddenlink, Mediacom, and WOW
- Game, stream, and download at Wi-Fi speeds up to 300Mbps
- Up to 343Mbps download and 143Mbps upload speeds (based on cable provider’s service)
- Channel bonding of up to 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels
- Industry-leading 2-year warranty and unlimited 24/7 technical support
Compatible with cable internet plans up to 150Mbps**. Compatible with major cable ISPs, including XFINITY from Comcast, Cox Communications, Spectrum and more.
300Mbps wireless speeds provides a ultra-wireless experience. Channel bonding of up to 8 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels provide data rates up to 343 Mbps for downstream, and 143 Mbps for upstream
5.ARRIS SURFboard SBG7600AC2
- DOCSIS Cable Modem, AC2350 dual-band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others. Cable internet service required. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers.
- 32 downstream & 8 upstream channels. Best for cable internet speed plans up to 800 Mbps.
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app
The ARRIS Surfboard series always had their own distinctive style. Unfortunately, the SBG7600AC2 largely lacks that style.
It looks more like an ordinary home router than almost any other Surfboard. It only retains a glimmer of that distinctive style when you turn to its backside. From a hardware perspective, this router is a continuation of the widely popular SB6121.
6.ARRIS SURFboard SB6121
- Compatible with Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more
- Not compatible with Verizon FiOS or AT&T U-verse, no longer approved by Comcast Xfinity
- Requires Cable Iternet Service, if not sure your provider is CABLE call them to confirm
- BROWN BOX models NOT VALID for this item when sold as New, should report to Amazon immediately and RETURN to Seller
- Wired modem only, does NOT include WIFI Router or VOIP Telephone adapter. Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or Router for fast downloads.
- Internet speeds based on your Cable providers service - up to 172 Mbps download and 131 Mbps upload. 4 Download and 4 Upload Channels.
Compatible with Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Not compatible with Verizon FiOS or AT&T U-verse, no longer approved by Comcast Xfinity. Requires Cable Iternet Service, if not sure your provider is CABLE call them to confirm
BROWN BOX models NOT VALID for this item when sold as New, should report to Amazon immediately and RETURN to Seller. Wired modem only, does NOT include WIFI Router or VOIP Telephone adapter. Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or Router for fast downloads.
- Instantly upgraded you WiFi performance with advanced tech all while saving up to $168 per year in rental fees by owning your cable modem.
- Access the fastest cable internet plans available, with the future-proof performance of the DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.
- Includes a built-in high speed AC3200 WiFi router with Power Boost, Range Boost, and AnyBeam WiFi Beamforming for ultra fast, reliable WiFi.
- Intelligent mobile app - Comes with a smart WiFi app for easy setup, guest network management, usage monitoring, speed testing, parental controls, network security alerts, and more.
- Reliability you can count on - A worldwide leader in technology people depend on. Comes with 2-years of free expert support from our team
Ultra-fast DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem – Has 4 GigE ethernet ports for wired connections. Active Queue Management (AQM) reduces lag for faster page loads and enhanced interactive applications. Backwards compatible with 32×8 DOCSIS 3.0. Supports gigabit speed.*
Powerful 4×4 wifi 5 router – Power Boost, Range Boost, and AnyBeam WiFi beamforming enable quality streaming, gaming, and connecting throughout the home. MU-MIMO seamlessly manages multiple device connections.
Intelligent mobile app – Comes with a smart WiFi app for easy setup, guest network management, usage monitoring, speed testing, parental controls, network security alerts, and more.
Best Cable Modem for Cable One – The best cable modem probably isn’t something you think about, but it should be at the front of your mind the next time you get your internet bill. If you buy your own cable modem instead of using whatever your internet service provider dropped off, you can probably save money on your internet service by eliminating a needless equipment rental fee.
Equipment rental fees may be ridiculous, but they’re no joke. Some ISPs charge as much as $14 a month when you use one of their modems, and that cost can add overtime.