Best Cable Modem for Gaming – If you play a lot of online multiplayer games, then you must know that keeping your ping to a minimum is highly important for getting rid of all lag and other latency issues. This means that apart from having a high-quality internet connection, you will also need to have high-performance networking devices for your computer.
This also includes getting one of the best modems for gaming mentioned up above in this article. We have mentioned all of them, along with all their important details like major features and options.
1.NETGEAR Cable Modem CM1000
Pros & Cons
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 1Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps), Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM1000 replaces your cable modem saving you up to dollar 168/year in equipment rental fees.
- Works with any Wi-Fi router: Connect any Wi-Fi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate Wi-Fi router.
Netgear is one of the most popular brands of networking tools and devices out there, which is known for offering high-performance products like its modem for gaming.
The Netgear CM1000 modem is present in the 1st position in this article as it offers great performance without charging a premium for it. With this modem, you get a maximum speed of 1Gbps, which is quite high and results in a high value for money.
It is able to offer these speeds thanks to its DOCSIS 3.1 version, which is paired along with a 32 x 8 channel configuration. This means that you get 32 upstream and 8 downstream channels with this modem. You also get a 1-year warranty with this Netgear modem, which is always great to have.
Pros & Cons
- COMPATIBLE WITH MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, and more. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 6Gbps
- FAST WIFI 6 PERFORMANCE: Up to 3,000 sq. ft. wireless coverage with dual-band WiFi 6 (AX6000) speed (up to 6Gbps)
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: One 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 3.0 port give fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: DOCSIS 3.1 and 32x8 channel bonding
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees
- NETGEAR Armor protects your family's WiFi with an automatic shield of security across all your connected devices with a 30-day free trial
- SAFE AND SECURE: Supports WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols
If you want a modem for gaming that you can trust to work regardless of your internet provider, the Netgear Nighthawk is up to the task. We’ve already praised the Netgear Nighthawk router in our guide to the best gaming routers of 2021, but their companion modem is an equally impressive piece of equipment. The design is aesthetically slick without so much of the flamboyance so prevalent in gadgets targeted towards gamers, and its sleek and lightweight design means it isn’t going to crowd your gaming desk.
This gaming modem also makes use of link aggregation that combines two 1G ports into a single 2G port, so your preferred computer or gaming console will be sure to get the fastest internet speeds available in your home.
3.Linksys (CM3016) Docsis
Pros & Cons
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable modem only (no WiFi router)
- Experience high speed Wi Fi speeds from your existing ISP plans upto 250 Mbps. Ideal for HD media streaming, simultaneous online gaming, web surfing and more
- Features Intel Puma 6 chipset to achieve high speed downstream and upstream performance
- Able to handle high bandwidth transfer rates over your existing cable lines
Next up is a respectable budget option from Linksys. This particular unit won’t provide fiber-level speeds, but you’re also not paying for that kind of support. Coming in just over , it’s a smart entry-level option for the more casual gamer.
In terms of tech, the CM3016 offers DOCSIS 3.0, 16 downstream channels, and 4 upstream channels. Together with the integrated Intel Puma 6 chipset, this modem can support speeds up to 680 Mbps with surprising stability. Use it alongside your current cable internet to improve speeds and performance, or pair it up with a new provider for a total transformation. Either way, it’ll save you the modem rental fee, meaning it pays for itself within a year of service!
4.TP-Link 16×4 AC1750
Pros & Cons
- Eliminate rental fee: eliminate your cable Modem monthly rental fee - up to $120 per year
- Cable Modem router: item is cable Modem router and this will serve as both your cable Modem and Wi-Fi router
- Industry leading support: 2-year warranty and free 24/7 technical support; J. D. Power Ranked TP-LINK "highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers in 2017"；great for cable internet plans up to 300Mbps with Infinity from Comcast, spectrum (including Charter, time Warner Cable, and bright house networks), Cox, Sudden link, Mediacom, and wow
- Faster speed: up to 1750Mbps Wi-Fi speeds with simultaneous 2. 4GHz (up to 450Mbps) and 5GHz (up to 1300Mbps) bands; Channel bonding of up to 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels, up to 680Mbps download speeds
- Increased Wi-Fi range: six internal antennas and high-powered amplifiers Boost signal strength and reduce interference
Once again, the TP-Link Archer CR700 is a 2-in-1 router modem that pairs a Wi-Fi 5 modem capable of dual-band speeds up to 1750 Mbps and a 16×4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0 modem. Although DOCSIS 3.0 is technically last-gen, it still packs a punch and is by far the most common modem technology, so no qualms there for the significant savings over a 3.1 alternative.
Beamforming technology ensures a focused Wi-Fi signal that hones in on your devices rather than sending it blindly in all directions, ideal for gaming on mobile. As for wired players, the TP-Link Archer CR700 has four high-speed Gigabit Ethernet ports.
5.ASUS Modem Router Combo
Pros & Cons
- Ditch the monthly cable modem rental fees save upto $120 per year
- Certified by comcast xfinity, spectrum (legacy time warner cable and charter) and cox
- All in one docsis 3.0 32x8 cable modem + ac2600 wifi router (4x4) provides full bandwidth internet access and expansive wireless coverage
- Stay connected with 4x gigabit ethernet and 2x USB 2.0 ports for your non wifi devices like external storage and printers including support for Apple time machine
- Perfect for streaming and gaming in hd, dual bands (2.4ghz / 5ghz) featuring the latest 802.11ac 32x8 channel bonding technology deliver upto 1.3 gbps download speeds; Ac input : 110v to 240v(50 to 60hz); Dc output : 19 v with max; 3.42 a current
As you might’ve guessed by the name, the ASUS Modem Router Combo offers a one-two punch – it works as a modem to secure internet from your provider, and it beams it out over dual-band 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies. The end result is fantastic performance across gaming and entertainment streaming (including HD and 4K).
Although the modem uses DOCSIS 3.0 and not 3.1, it does come with the maximum number of channels. This should secure you up to 1.3 Gbps download speeds, which means it’s capable of fiber-level internet delivery.
Pros & Cons
- IMPORTANT: BE SURE TO CONTACT YOUR SERVICE PROVIDER BEFORE purchasing this product. MODEL MD1600 DOES NOT WORK WITH BONDED VDSL, BONDED ADSL, OR VDSL VECTORING. PLEASE READ THE CHECKLIST IN THE PRODUCT IMAGES BEFORE PURCHASING. If you’re still not sure whether you have the right type of DSL service, MODEL MD1600 IS NEVER COMPATIBLE with Verizon, AT&T services, Comcast, Charter Spectrum, Cox, or other cable services.
- MD1600 IS A GREAT CHOICE for many non-bonded/non-vectoring ADSL AND VDSL SERVICES FROM FRONTIER, WINDSTREAM, TDS TELECOM, AND FAIRPOINT. It combines a VDSL2/ADSL2+ Modem with a full-featured AC1600 WiFi Gigabit Router to provide fast Internet to all your WiFi and Ethernet devices. DSL services use your home telephone wiring. Supplying your own modem typically saves $9.99 in modem rental fees; savings vary depending on service provider.
- BUILT-IN ROUTER INCLUDES 4 GIG-E PORTS, AC1600 WIRELESS, a firewall, WPA/WPA2 wireless security, IPv4 and IPv6 support, and Virtual Private Network (VPN) capability. You can plug a USB storage device into the USB 2.0 host port for Network Attached Storage (NAS) which supports DLNA Media Sharing.
- CLEAN AND EASY. This DSL modem/router combo saves space, reduces wires, and includes a setup wizard for fast, easy installation. Delivers Internet speeds up to 100 Mbps; speeds depend on the speed of your VDSL or ADSL Internet service. The MD1600 provides a high-speed Internet link for all your wireless and Ethernet devices including smartphones, HDTVs, computers, tablets, game stations, and more.
- MD1600 IS SUPPORTED by expert, friendly customer support specialists in the US with a 2-year warranty from a company you trust
You probably know Motorola for their entry-level smartphones. But did you know that they also manufacture a line of advanced modems?
The Motorola MB8611 is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem that can tackle all of your gaming needs, no problem. It sports DOCSIS 3.1 technology combined with a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port to provide your entire house with lightning-fast connection speeds (router sold separately, however). It works alongside every major cable provider and is ideal for plan packages over 1 Gbps.
7.CenturyLink Prism TV
Pros & Cons
- Compatible with CenturyLink VDSL/ADSL2+ Services (Not compatible with fiber connections or ATT)
The CenturyLink Prism TV Technicolor modem is one of the only few options out there, which also comes with Wi-Fi support. With this modem, you get the support for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless networks. Although this also limits its maximum speed to just 300Mbps, which is a bit low for many users.
As for its DOCSIS version, it uses the older DOCSIS 3.0, which is to be expected with a Wi-Fi modem. This is combined with 16 upstream and 4 downstream channels, which is decent if not the best. Thankfully, CenturyLink offers a 1-year warranty, which you would not expect from a smaller brand like this one.
Best Cable Modem for Gaming – A modem is one of the simplest yet highly important devices needed to connect to the internet. It is used to modulate and demodulate network signals from cable and thus making it highly important if you are using the internet.
A low-performance modem can cause a lot of latency issues, which is quite a problem while gaming. Hence, we are here with the best modems for gaming based on the following factors: