Best Cable Modem for Xfinity – Our pick for the best Xfinity-compatible cable modem is the Motorola MB7621, thanks to its low price and support for wired speeds up to 1,000 Mbps. But if you don’t need gig speeds, the NETGEAR CM500 can save you a bit of cash with its budget-friendly price.
For anyone looking for the latest DOCSIS 3.1 technology and the ludicrous speeds it brings, the ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 and NETGEAR Nighthawk CM1150V are top-rated contenders. And those looking to replace the Xfinity xFi Gateway without having to buy a router as well should consider the NETGEAR Nighthawk C7000 modem and router combo.
- This 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 686 Mbps, sixteen times faster than DOCSIS 2.0. A Full-Band Capture digital tuner ensures a faster, more reliable Internet.
- Cable modem's Ethernet port connects to a computer, HDTV, game station, or wireless router. (This Model MB7420 cable modem does NOT have a built-in wireless router and does not have a telephone adapter or phone jack. The Motorola MG7310, MG7315, MG7540 and MG7550 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service. Certified by Comcast XFINITY for residential speeds up to Extreme 300, by Comcast Business for speeds up to Deluxe 250, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse, and other leading cable service providers for modem ownership programs that typically save rental charges of 120 dollar or more per year
- Setup is fast and easy with a few quick steps set out in a Quick Start guide. Experienced USA-based customer support specialists are there to help if you need them.
This makes it future-proof because when Xfinity upgrades its internet to DOCSIS 3.1, you won’t have to go get a new modem. And since DOCIS 3.1 is backward compatible, it will work with DOCSIS 3.0. 
The 2.5GB ethernet port is also a great feature. Because this makes the modem compatible with internet plans up to 2500 Mbps.
And even if it feels excessive today, it won’t be in a couple of years.
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM500 replaces your cable modem, saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps).
- Works with any wifi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate WiFi router.
- Modem technology: Engineered with 16x4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0.
The Netgear CM500 remains one of the best cable modems available, because it’s easy to find at most retailers; you can also find it for a little less than the Motorola MB7420 most of the time, making it a good value. (Modem prices can fluctuate so keep an eye peeled for the best tech deals when shopping for a cable modem.) Anytime you can find a new CM500 for or less, that’s a good buy.
The Netgear CM500 works with the biggest cable providers and supports speeds of up to 300 Mbps, which should be enough for the vast majority of Internet users out there. (If you’ve got a high-speed plan, look for a faster modem.)
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router).Memory: 8 MB NOR flash and 128 MB RAM
- Support Cable Internet Service plans up to 300Mbps. Recommended for all speed tiers up to 500 Mbps. Separate router required for WiFi. 24x8 channel bonding
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. DOCSIS 3.0 unleashes 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- Ideal for streaming 4K UHD content, fastest downloads, and high-speed online gaming
While most homes opt for internet plans that promise speeds of around 100 to 300 Mbps, some people prefer higher-speed service. If your plan promises download speeds that top 300 Mbps, you’ll want a cable modem that can take advantage of that greater performance. Netgear’s CM600 is the best cable modem for those higher speeds, though you’ll pay a little bit more than you would for the CM500.
Netgear’s modem doesn’t use the same Intel Puma 6 chipset that’s been blamed for latency issues with some other high-speed modems, such as the Arris Surfboard SB6190. (There’s a firmware update that resolves this issue, though ISPs roll out such updates on their own schedule.)
4.ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 2 Gbps. Note, a 2nd IP address is required from your cable internet provider to reach 2 Gbps.
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
- Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- Cable internet service required; Does not inlcude Wi-Fi and does not support cable digital voice service
The Arris Surfboard SB6183 was once our pick for the best cable modem thanks to its solid performance that will satisfy most home internet customers who don’t pay for high-speed service, though this older modem is harder to find these days. (As of this writing, Best Buy is selling the SB6183.) If you can track down the SB6183 at a competitive price, its two-year warranty also is a big plus.
At 5.2 x 5 x 2.1 inches, the all-white SB6183 can be tucked unobtrusively next to a router, cable box and whatever other hardware you have on hand.
- 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1600 Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) WiFi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, a firewall, and more. This product is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 375 Mbps. A Broadcom cable modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks.
- Requires cable Internet service. Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse, WOW., CableOne, RCN, Mediacom and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable modem rental fees up to 168 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by provider). Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink and other fiber optic, DSL or satellite services. Model MG7540 does not have a phone jack. This model cannot be used for making or receiving telephone calls.
- Built-in high-speed Wi-Fi router with AC1600 Wi-Fi provides Internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, game stations, HDTVs, Amazon Echo, Google Home, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and AppleTV. 4 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers, HDTVs, game stations, streaming TV devices, and other Ethernet-capable devices.
- The router can work on WiFi DFS frequencies, unlike most routers, so it is much less vulnerable to WiFi interference from neighbors. AnyBeam beamforming at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range.
- Integrating the cable modem and router creates a reliable connection that reduces unwieldy wiring and power adapter clutter while conserving desk space. The vertical design minimizes shelf space and improves cooling while looking great in any home or office. A 2-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
If you don’t want to spend too much money and have the Performance Pro internet plan or below, the Motorola MG7540 is perfect for you.
During testing, its Wi-Fi reached 301.85 Mbps from 5 feet, 102.38 Mbps from 25 feet, and 49.06 Mbps from 50 feet. All using the 5GHz band.
Considering its price, these are some pretty good results that would be enough for one to three 4K streams.
6.ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem, AC2350 Dual band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U S Cable Internet Providers including CableOne/ Sparkligh, Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Grande Communicatio, Mediacom, RCN, Service Electric, Spectrum (Charter, TWC, BHN), Wave Broadband, WOW. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream DOCSIS 3 1 OFDM channels Best for cable internet speed plans up to 4 Gbps. Cable internet service required
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app Add SURFboard skills to your Alexa network for voice management of your Wi-Fi settings
Most smart homes today have an increasing number of devices that connect to the internet through Wi-Fi. It has become a necessity to have a modem router combo that is capable of supporting a growing number of devices.
ARRIS Surfboard SBG8300 is a three-in-one network device that works as a modem, a four-port gigabit router, and the AC2350 dual-band WiFi.
This advanced modem provides internet broadband speed over 10Gbps and a WiFi speed up to 2350 Mbps. It is capable of streaming videos in ultra-HD easily. You can play online games without buffering.
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM700 replaces your cable modem saving you up to 168 Dollars/year in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Xfinity (up to 800Mbps), Cox (up to 500Mbps), Spectrum (up to 400Mbps).
- Works with any Wi-Fi router: Connect any Wi-Fi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate Wi-Fi router.
- Modem technology: Engineered with 32x8 channel bonding, OFDM 2x2, and DOCSIS 3.1.
Not surprisingly, that’s hard to find these days. But the NETGEAR Nighthawk CM1150V packs in all the features into one six-inch-high black box. You’ll get DOCSIS 3.1 technology that supports wired download speeds up to 1,000 Mbps, and you’ll get two phone jacks that are compatible with Xfinity Voice service.
Granted, all those features cost a pretty penny. So if cost-savings is what you’re after, you might try the cheaper ARRIS SBV3202—just be aware it supports speeds only up to 600 Mbps.
Best Cable Modem for Xfinity – Channel bonding tells you how many channels a modem has for downloading and uploading data. Think of it like lanes on a highway: The more lanes, or channels, that you have, the more traffic, or data, that can get through.
When talking about channel bonding, the first number refers to the number of channels available for downloading data. The second number refers to how many channels are available for uploading data.