Best Cable Modem Router Combo for Xfinity – In other words, your modem can work with only one device, while the router will act as a dispatcher between the modem and other internet-capable devices like your TV, smartphone, printers, and much more.
Most homes or offices are used to getting the router and modems as separate devices. Though they may have reasons for that, getting a 2-in-1 device is ideal. Aside from the convenience it gives, you will love many other features that are discussed below.
A modem-router combo is often called a Gateway, and most ISPs on sign up give you the option to rent one at a low monthly fee. Xfinity, for example, gives you a $14/mo combo option; at first look, this may seem cheap, but when you punch it into your calculator, you’ll discover that in a year, you are paying almost double of what it will cost you if you purchase your modem-router combo.
1.ARRIS Surfboard S33
Pros & Cons
- A Trusted Name in Home Connectivity: Better connectivity, better speed. The ARRIS SURFboard S33 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem is designed to bring you superior connectivity, increase your network capability and provide faster streaming and downloading throughout your home. From a trusted brand with over 260 million modems sold and growing.
- Save Money: Own your modem and save. Reduce your cable bill up to $168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings vary by cable service provider). Certified for use with most U.S. cable internet service providers. For a complete list see additional details below.
- Modem Technology: DOCSIS 3.1 is the newest technology available from cable internet providers. Its 10x faster than DOCSIS 3.0, provides better security, reduces lag while gaming & enables multi-gig networking (ability to run fast speeds on your copper cable from your internet provider).
- Simple and Secure Set-up: Plug-in the device, download the SURFboard Central App, and follow the instructions to activate the modem. Connect to a Wi-Fi router for networking.
- Compatibility: The SURFboard S33 is compatible with major U.S. cable internet providers including Cox (Gigablast), Spectrum (Internet Gig), Xfinity (Blast!/Extreme Pro) and others. It's approved for cable internet speed plans up to 2.5-Gbps. Check your Internet Service Provider (ISP) website to confirm compatibility.
- What's in the Box: When you purchase you will get an ARRIS SURFboard S33 Cable Modem, Power Supply, Quick-Start guide, and 2-year warranty card.
- Ethernet Ports: Has one 2.5-Gigabit ethernet port and one 1-Gigabit ethernet port to connect to a Wi-Fi router or other wired device.
- Dedicated Customer Support: Live Chat and Phone Support available 8am -1am EST. Product ships with 2-Year Limited Warranty.
ARRIS S33 is our pick for the best modem for Xfinity. This absolute beaut’ from ARRIS makes our hearts go pitter-patter. It comes with the latest DOCSIS 3.1 technology, which is just what you need to get the most out of your Xfinity Gigabit plan—even with the new speed hike up to 1,200 Mbps.
But if you want to be on the cutting-edge of modem tech, it’ll cost ya. To be fair, if you’re already shelling out for Xfinity’s Gigabit plan, you’ve probably got enough cash flow that you’re not worried about the $199.99 upfront price tag in exchange for long-term savings.
As for the rest of us, we’ll stick with the bargain modems.
Pros & Cons
- COMPATIBLE WITH MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, and more. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 6Gbps
- FAST WIFI 6 PERFORMANCE: Up to 3,000 sq. ft. wireless coverage with dual-band WiFi 6 (AX6000) speed (up to 6Gbps)
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: One 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 3.0 port give fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: DOCSIS 3.1 and 32x8 channel bonding
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees
- NETGEAR Armor protects your family's WiFi with an automatic shield of security across all your connected devices with a 30-day free trial
- SAFE AND SECURE: Supports WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols
NETGEAR is a well-established company in the internet device domain. So, no wonder they have the modem router combo to offer as well. For all those who need the best speeds, security, and great range, the NETGEAR Nighthawk CAX80 is the best choice.
This DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem router device comes in handy if you’re streaming in HD and gaming daily. You can use it with cable internet plans of up to 2 Gbps and it has up to 6 Gbps WiFi speeds, while the maximum download speed is up to 1000 Mbps.
Pros & Cons
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d like, including Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mesh routers like eero, Google Wi-Fi, and Orbi. A 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port allows connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides advanced security from denial-of service attacks.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) - AQM significantly reduces Internet latency on both DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 services, resulting in faster page loads for all Web traffic and enhanced interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing. The MB8600 also includes a full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
The Motorola MB8600 supports up to 1,000 Mbps download speed. But since Xfinity upped its Gigabit plans to 1,200 Mbps, we suggest you use it only for Xfinity’s Extreme Pro and lower-speed plans.
If you’re living in the fast lane, you’ll appreciate how smoothly this modem streams 4K Ultra HD content and handles high-speed online gaming. And it’s durable, too, so you can expect it to keep you up to speed for years to come.
4.ARRIS Surfboard SB6183-RB
Pros & Cons
- APPROVED with Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse), Cox and more. If not sure call your cable provider to find out if approved to use. REQUIRES Cable Internet Service. Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router). NO support for Cable TELCO options
- Internet speeds up to 686 Mbps on 16 Download Channels and 131 Mbps on 4 Upload Channels, based on your cable ISP subscription. Approved for plans up to 400Mbps. Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or router
- Great for streaming HD Video and gaming on multiple devices at a time
- 90 Day Warranty. ARRIS Certified Refurbished. US Technical support. ARRIS Certified Refurbished products will ALWAYS be branded ARRIS, Never Motorola! If you get Motorola branded product they are illegitimate, need to be returned to Seller and Reported to Amazon
SURFboard from ARRIS is an excellent modem router combo option in the slightly higher price tag. Still, if offers excellent features.
This combo comes with a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem, a dual-band Wi-Fi router AC2350, and another 4-port Gigabit router. It is compatible with Xfinity, Spectrum, and COX. You cannot use AT&T, Century Link, or Verizon with this combo.
It can give you speeds up to 1.4 Gbps and Wi-Fi speeds up to 2350 Mbps. The Wi-Fi router has 4 gigabit Ethernet ports and 8 upstream and 32 downstream channels. The signal is adequate for mid and large-sized homes.
Pros & Cons
- ELIMINATE MONTHLY CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES - Up to $156 per year
- DOCSIS 3. 0 Cable Modem with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. One (1) Gigabit Ethernet port with auto-sensing technology
- Up to 340Mbps download and upload speed. Separate router required for WiFi. 8x4 channel bonding.
- DOCSIS 3. 0 unleashes 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2. 0
- Ideal for streaming HD videos, faster downloads, and high-speed online gaming
- Required for the fastest cable Internet speed tiers
- Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, & more. Not compatible with bundled voice services.
- Memory storage capacity: 64.0 MB
This DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem router device comes in handy if you’re streaming in HD and gaming daily. You can use it with cable internet plans of up to 400 Mbps and it has up to 1900 Mbps WiFi speeds, while the maximum download speed is up to 1000 Mbps.
The 3 antennas and amplifiers boost the signal throughout the entire house. It is compatible with Xfinity and has voice phone support for use with Xfinity Voice.
Pros & Cons
- 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1900 Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) WiFi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, a firewall DFS, Power Boost, and more. This product is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 375 Mbps. A Broadcom cable modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks. WiFi performance is exceptionally good, even in multi-dwelling units with lots of WiFi noise from neighbors. DFS and Power Boost are key
- Requires cable Internet service. Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable, Suddenlink, WOW., CableOne and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable modem rental fees up to 156 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by cable service provider. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others. Model MG7550 has no phone jack.)
- Built-in high-speed Wi-Fi router with AC1900 Wi-Fi, and Power Boost, and DFS provides Internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, game stations, HDTVs, Amazon Echo, Google Home, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and AppleTV. Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers, HDTVs, game stations, streaming TV devices, and other Ethernet-capable devices.
- Wireless Power Boost adds high-performance WiFi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant boost in speed and range. The router can work on WiFi DFS frequencies, unlike most routers, so it is much less vulnerable to WiFi interference from neighbors. In addition, AnyBeam beamforming at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range.
- Integrating the cable modem and router creates a reliable connection that reduces unwieldy wiring and power adapter clutter while conserving desk space. The vertical design minimizes shelf space and improves cooling while looking great in any home or office. A two-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
The second Motorola on the list, MG7550, has a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem and a dual-band AC1900 WiFi router with 4 gigabit Ethernet ports.
This combo should be used with cable provider plans of up to 375 Mbps. The Broadcom chipset saves you from DoS attacks, while Power Boost technology amplifies the WiFi signal which can cover an entire medium-sized home.
You can use the MG7550 with Xfinity, Xfinity X1, Spectrum, COX, Time Warner Cable, WOW!, Suddenlink, CableOne, and others. You cannot use it with DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, Frontier AT&T, CenturyLink, and fiber optic.
7.NETGEAR Cable Modem
Pros & Cons
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C6250 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to 168 dollars/yr in equipment rental fees.
- SPEEDS BY CARRIER: Spectrum (up to 300Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps).
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1500 sq ft wireless coverage and 25 devices connected with AC1600 speed (up to 1600 Mbps).
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 USB port give you fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices.
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: Engineered with 16x4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0.
- SAFE & SECURE: Includes parental controls, and supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols.
- The List of supported "Internet Service Providers" is available in the "Compatibility Guide" under "Product guides and documents" Section
COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C6250 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
Best Cable Modem Router Combo for Xfinity – Without a modem and router, you can’t make the best use of Xfinity internet. While the modem acts as the bridge between an internet device in your possession and your Internet Service Provider (ISP), the router helps you connect more devices to the internet.