Best Cable Modem Router Combo – These days, makers of home networking gear seem to favor modem-router combinations over standalone cable modems. It may be tempting to buy one of these hybrid networking devices instead of a separate modem and router, as you can take care of two tasks with one device. We’d advise against modem-router combos, though.
First, some background: as our modem-vs.-router comparison explains, the two devices serve very different purposes. A cable modem brings internet connectivity into your home while the best routers distribute that internet connection wirelessly, so that all your devices — laptops, phones, and smart-home gadgets — can hop on the internet. If you’re dissatisfied with the reach of your network, it’s a router, not a modem, that you should be in the market for
- Fast 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 cable Modem Plus a built-in AC1900 Dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, power boost Wi-Fi amplifiers, firewall security, and more. The maximum modem speed is 1000 Mbps, supporting service speeds up to 650.
- Eliminate up to 156 dollars per year in cable Modem rental fees. (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) certified by all leading cable service providers including Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Charter spectrum (no cable Modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Built-in high-speed router with AC1900 wireless and Power boost - Provides internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, and more. 4 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers and other Ethernet-capable devices. A Broadcom cable Modem Chipset provides security from denial of service attacks.
- Wireless power boost for better speed and range - Adds high-performance Wi-Fi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant Boost in speed and range. In addition, anybeam Performing at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range
If it’s time to upgrade your modem and your router, the Motorola MG7700 is likely the right one for you if you’re a customer of Comcast Xfinity, Cox or Spectrum and don’t pay extra for a superfast plan. Your cable company (or even your bill from them) will be able to tell you what speed connection you have, but as a rough guide if you’re on a basic plan, it almost certainly won’t be a what’s known as a 1 gigabit connection, (and if it is, we’ve got picks for you below).
One of the best features of the Motorola MG7700 we like most has nothing to do with its technical prowess: It’s not terribly ugly. In order to get the best range from its wireless signal, you don’t want to hide the modem/router behind furniture or in a closet. But this unit is just inoffensive enough that you can put it on a side table in the living room and not be embarrassed.
2.ARRIS SURFboard SBG7600AC2
- DOCSIS Cable Modem, AC2350 dual-band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others. Cable internet service required. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers.
- 32 downstream & 8 upstream channels. Best for cable internet speed plans up to 800 Mbps.
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app
This ARRIS SURFboard doesn’t have fancy DOCSIS 3.1 technology like the NETGEAR Nighthawk C7800, but it will still support most cable internet speed—and at half the cost. ARRIS sweetens the deal with McAfee Secure Whole Home Internet so you don’t have to stress about viruses.
Just because you’re shelling out for fast internet doesn’t mean you have to empty your pockets for a cable modem with Wi-Fi too. Think of this modem/router as a cheaper gig solution that might not be relevant forever but will certainly last long enough to save you from leasing a device from your ISP.
- COMPATIBLE WITH MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, and more. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 6Gbps
- FAST WIFI 6 PERFORMANCE: Up to 3,000 sq. ft. wireless coverage with dual-band WiFi 6 (AX6000) speed (up to 6Gbps)
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: One 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 3.0 port give fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: DOCSIS 3.1 and 32x8 channel bonding
Like most NETGEAR Nighthawks, the C7000 is a slick piece of machinery. Thanks to its 24 download channels, it runs smooth and fast for all your streaming and gaming needs. And that textured grate on the exterior adds an extra bit of panache.
Grab this combo box to get up to 400 Mbps of unhindered internet access—and look cool while doing it.
- THREE-IN-ONE CABLE MODEM, AC1900 ROUTER, AND XFINITY COMPATIBLE VOICE PORTS - Includes 24X8 DOCSIS 3. 0 cable modem, AC1900 Dual Band (2. 4GHz and 5GHz) Gigabit Router, four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, and two XFINITY Voice compatible phone ports. This product is approved by Comcast for Xfinity Internet and Voice, and recommended by Comcast for XFINITY Internet service speeds up to 400 Mbps.
- REQUIRES COMCAST XFINITY INTERNET SERVICE. Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1. This product will not work with any other Internet service provider.
- ELIMINATE UP TO 156 Dollars IN CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES PER YEAR – Say goodbye to monthly rental fees and landline phone costs.
- BUILT-IN HIGH-SPEED ROUTER WITH AC1900 WIRELESS AND POWER BOOST - provides Internet access for WiFi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, and more. Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers and other Ethernet-capable devices. A Broadcom cable modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks.
- WIRELESS POWER BOOST FOR BETTER SPEED AND RANGE - adds high-performance WiFi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant boost in speed and range. In addition, AnyBeam beamforming at both 2. 4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range. NOT included is a backup battery option (Model 98250) that allows your phone to make calls for 8 hours on standby after power loss.
If you want to get some incredible savings on the best cable modem and router combos versus your provider’s lease option, the MOTOROLA MG7711 is the way to go. It supports only lower cable speeds and the technology is a little behind the times, but it’s still kicking.
This device is the best choice for someone who wants to save, doesn’t have many devices, and has an internet plan with download speeds lower than 145 Mbps. And since this baby pays for itself in less than a year, it’s a good option when you’re just trying out owning your own modem/router.
- Coverage up to 1,800 sq. ft. for up to 30 devices with AC1900 speed (up to 1900Mbps)
- Replaces your cable modem and Wi-Fi router, saving you up to Dollar 168/year in equipment rental fees
- Speeds by carrier: Xfinity (up to 800Mbps), Cox (up to 500Mbps), Spectrum (up to 400Mbps)
- Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and more with 4 x 1G Ethernet ports
- Share a storage drive with any connected device using the 2.0 USB port
If you consider yourself a power user and you’re an Xfinity, Spectrum or Cox user, the Netgear Nighthawk C7000 might check all the boxes. Let’s see. Capable of a pretty fast connection? Check! Four ports for lots of additional devices? Check! Good range for big homes (2,500 square feet): Check! Not ugly: Check (mostly)!
These capabilities are reflected in the higher price tag, and our reviewer said in fact, it is ‘overkill for the average user’s internet needs’, so it really comes down to whether your a gamer, or stream to a lot of different TVs in the house at the same time.
6.TP-Link 16×4 AC1750
- Tp-link Archer Cr700 Ieee 802.11ac Cable Modem/wireless Router - 2.40 Ghz Ism Band - 5 Ghz Unii Band - 6 X Antenna(6 X Internal - 1750 Mbit/s Wireless Speed - 4 X Network Port - Usb - Gigabit Ethernet - Yes Desktop
The sacrifice? You lose a USB 3.0 port which has questionable advantage on a router, and you get slower 2.4GHz at close range. 802.11n 5GHz and 802.11ac performance remains comparable. But rest assured: amongst top-tier AC1750 and AC1900 routers, the D7 easily takes the prize as the most budget-friendly.
The piano-black Archer D7 is separated down the middle by a silver, painted bit of plastic that also helps the router to sit flat. Above this separator are the status lights — power, line sync, Internet connection, wireless, LAN and USB. Sadly there’s just the one light to accommodate the four gigabit Ethernet ports, making troubleshooting a little harder than it needs to be.
7.ARRIS SURFboard SBG10
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 0 Cable Modem, AC1600 dual-band Wi-Fi Router, 2 Port Gigabit Ethernet Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Wi-Fi 5 AC1600 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app
- Compatible with major U S Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others. Cable internet service required. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- 16 downstream & 4 upstream channels. Best for cable internet service plans up to 400 Mbps.
The ARRIS SURFboard SBG7600AC2 is a powerhouse modem/router, with blazing speeds and excellent bandwidth. For those willing to part with a bit more cash, this router provides unparalleled performance.
This product can handle Wi-Fi speeds of up to 2350 Mbps, which blows the other routers on this list out of the water. These speeds should effectively future-proof it, and prevent you from having to buy a new router for a long time.
Best Cable Modem Router Combo – The best cable modem probably isn’t something you think about, but it should be at the front of your mind the next time you get your internet bill.
If you buy your own cable modem instead of using whatever your internet service provider dropped off, you can probably save money on your internet service by eliminating a needless equipment rental fee.