Best Cable Router for Gaming – A router made specifically for gaming, however, will not only deliver a stable, uninterrupted connection – most vital during the most intense moments of your game – but also allow you to prioritize traffic to your PC and consoles.
It’ll vastly improve your gaming experience (and your download speed), minimizing lags and offering smoother graphics. It’ll also feature technologies like MU-MIMO and Quality of Service (or QoS) to take your network to the next level when playing with or against players from around the world.
Pros & Cons
- Game Band: Tri-Band structure provides a 4.8 Gbps Game Band exclusive for your gaming rigs and bings pure immersion. 4804 Mbps (5GHz, HE160) + 1201 Mbps (5GHz) + 574 Mbps (2.4GHz)
- Game Accelerator: Detect and optimize gaming streams, to ensure your gaming stays immersive
- Ultra Connectivity: 1 × 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port + 1 × 1 Gbps WAN/LAN port + 3 × Gigabit LAN ports and 2 x USB ports ensure max flexibility and boosted throughput
- Expansive Coverage: 8 detachable high-performance antennas, Beamforming, high-power FEM, 4T4R combine to deliver WiFi coverage up to a 4-bedroom house
- More Devices with Less Lag: OFDMA and MU-MIMO technology deliver data to multiple devices, simultaneously
- Powerful Processing: 1.5 GHz Quad-Core CPU ensures your network performance always at peak run
- TP-Link HomeCare: Protect your network and connected devices with a free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare featuring next-level antivirus, robust parental controls, and QoS
- TP-Link OneMesh Supported: Flexibly Create Whole Home WiFi with Archer GX90 by adding a OneMesh supported Range Extender, like RE505X
There may be a few things you might not like about the TP-Link Archer GX90. It’s big, it’s bulky, and it’s expensive. However, those are easy to forgive when you realize that you’re getting a big bang for your buck. This is a high-speed, reliable Wi-Fi 6 router that boasts a handful of features for hard-core gamers.
That includes a dedicated 5GHz ‘gaming band’ that lets you hog most of your household bandwidth when you need it. Have younger gamers at home? It also provides good parental controls like content filters to block unsuitable material, with pre-set profiles for children of different ages.
Pros & Cons
- Next gen Wi-Fi standard 802.11Ax Wi-Fi standard for better efficiency and throughput; ultrafast Wi-Fi speed 6000 Mbps Wi-Fi speed to handle even the busiest network with ease
- Certified for Humans – Smart home made easy for non-experts. Setup with Alexa is simple.
- Wider usage and more convenience 4 antennas plus 8 LAN ports to support more clients at the same time
- Commercial-grade security – AiProtection powered by Trend Micro blocks internet security threats for all your connected smart devices
- Better partner with mesh system; compatible with ASUS AiMesh Wi-Fi system for seamless whole home coverage’s support: Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.6, Mac OS X 10.7, Mac OS X 10.8
The Asus RT-Ax6000 is one of the best gaming routers – it has a collection of advanced features, making online and network gaming as lag and frustration free as possible. This includes a straightforward yet powerful interface, as well as comprehensive QoS settings.
The spider-like design is somewhat of an acquired taste, but the eight antennae serve a purpose since they can be used to direct the Wi-Fi signal throughout your home, providing this router with remarkable range.
3.NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro
Pros & Cons
- Minimize ping and maximize performance with six 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports for lag free, wired connectivity and 1.7 GHz quad core processor network efficiency
- Amp up your WiFi with cutting edge AD7200 Quad stream router that delivers speeds up to 7.2 Gbps. 60 GHz WiFi- Features the fastest WiFi technology for near-instant downloads and backup
- Put your gaming traffic in a designated express lane with advanced Quality of Service, bypassing network congestion and reducing lag spikes, jumps and jitters
- Make every millisecond count by using geo filtering to connect to the closest servers and players so you can respond and dominate
- Monitor your network and game ping in real time so you can see who’s hogging the bandwidth by device and application
- Protect your network identity by connecting to a secure gaming VPN server
- Optimized to give you the lowest ping on Fortnight, Call of Duty: Black Ops 4, OverWatch, PubG, CS:Go, and more
The Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR700 is a strong follow-up to the XR500, which impressed us last year as it was the fastest router we had tested to date. Both are part of the company’s ‘Nighthawk Pro Gaming’ networking line of products—but the XR700 is even faster than its predecessor.
The XR700 has plenty of the right ingredients, with one WAN and six LAN ports for enough wired connections, support for link aggregation, and even a 10 Gigabit LAN SFP+ port for ridiculous Ethernet bandwidth. Let’s get it out of the way. With all the attention on the wireless market heading to 802.11ax/Wi-Fi 6, this XR700 uses a combination of the last generation 802.11ac/Wi-Fi 5 wireless and 802.11ad technology (that’s the 60 GHz frequency one), which unfortunately has not gone mainstream. It also supports Beamforming via four active antennas.
4.ASUS ROG Rapture WiFi 6
Pros & Cons
- Triple level game acceleration accelerate game traffic With device, game packet and game server prioritization
- Cutting edge hardware offers the best performance 1.8 GigaHertz Quad Core cpu and 2.5 G gaming port for ultimate performance
- Your own gaming mesh network Compatible with ASUS AiMesh Wi Fi system for seamless whole home coverage.Memory:256 MB Flash,1 GB RAM
- ASUS wrt enables support for open, advanced monitoring and control which includes device bandwidth utilization as well as device or usage prioritization
- ASUS AiProtection security to neutralize internet threats before they hit your network
- Nextgen ax Wi Fi is backward compatible with 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi Fi devices and Supports current Wi Fi devices. Operating Frequency:2.4 GigaHertz, 5 GigaHertz 1, 5 GigaHertz 2
The Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 is designed to be the class-leading, ‘best of the best’ gaming router, and looking at the hardware specs, it delivers—big time.
Building on the prior routers of this series, the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300, and adding in Wi-Fi 6 technology, it promises a lot. This router uses a dedicated 2.5G Base-T port for higher wired bandwidth and four Gigabit LAN ports, although we prefer the eight ports that other Asus routers offer.
Pros & Cons
- Maximum Range : 1500 Sq Ft
- WIFI 6 – STREAM EVERYTHING AT FASTER SPEED: Simultaneously stream uninterrupted movies, games, video calls or download/transfer files at 3Gbps WiFi speed. Works with existing and new WiFi 6 devices like iPhone 11, Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy S10.
- WORKS WITH ALL INTERNET PROVIDERS: Replace your existing WiFi Router (separate modem or gateway required). Compatible with any Internet Service Provider up to 1Gbps including cable, satellite, fiber, DSL and more.
- EASY TO SET-UP AND MANAGE: Connects to your existing cable modem and sets up and customizes in minutes with the Nighthawk app – easily manage your WiFi settings at the device and network level, test your Internet speed, view speed history and monitor data usage.
- USB CONNECTIONS: Share a storage drive with any connected device and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere using the 1 x 3.0 USB port.
- WIRED ETHERNET PORTS: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1G Ethernet ports.
- NETGEAR Armor protects your family's WiFi with an automatic shield of security across all your connected devices with a 30-day free trial.
- NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls promotes healthy Internet habits, fosters responsibility and builds trust with your kids (30-day free trial included).
- LOADED WITH ADVANCED TECHNOLOGY: Designed with a dual-core processor, OFDMA, 1024-QAM, Beamforming technologies and Amazon Alexa Voice Control. Supports WPA2/WPA3 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest WiFi access, DoS, Firewall, VPN and more.
The Nighthawk AX4 does not have flashy colored stripes and LEDs of high-end gear. Rather it has a horizontal orientation, with two external antennas, four Gigabit LAN ports, a single USB port, and a row of green indicator LEDs.
The Nighthawk app handles the interface, although it can also be used via a web portal, this is also more generic, as you won’t find the DumaOS here, but the more familiar Netgear one. There is also QoS (which is a simple toggle on or off) for gaming. Still, there is no granular control to better balance gaming needs and video streaming across multiple connected devices to optimize the experience better.
6.Zyxel Armor Z2 AC2600
Pros & Cons
- 2nd generation AC2600 chipset for 2600 Mbps speed 802.11ac. Coverage area - 2,500 square feet
- 4x4 MU-MIMO technology that enables accelerated transmission to wireless devices for even faster Wi-Fi speeds
- Stream boost optimization to deliver the best gaming and streaming experience
- Beam forming antennas for enhanced wireless coverage and stability
- Easy setup wtih Easy 123 and user freindly usage monitoring
This router might look like it’s going to abduct a close friend or family member, but we promise the Zyxel Armor Z2 AC2600 isn’t as alien in function as it is in aesthetics.
Brimming with the latest MU-MIMO support, which boosts speed when multiple devices are connected to the same network, this gaming router prides itself on its performance capabilities. Since it can handle several devices, while prioritizing bandwidth depending on the needs of each connection, it’s one of the best gaming routers you can purchase today.
Pros & Cons
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d like, including Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mesh routers like eero, Google Wi-Fi, and Orbi. A 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port allows connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides advanced security from denial-of service attacks.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) - AQM significantly reduces Internet latency on both DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 services, resulting in faster page loads for all Web traffic and enhanced interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing. The MB8600 also includes a full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
Gamers know that a steady connection is an absolute must when it comes to online gaming, which is why many choose to stay hardwired instead of going wireless. If you decide to go that route, you’ll have a hard time finding a better modem for gaming than the Motorola MB8600. There’s not a lot of flash to be found here, just a steady connection with fast speeds that few can match.
This modem has built-in compatibility for DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0, meaning it works with basically any internet provider. You’ll also get incredibly fast top speeds, with multi-gigabit support.
Best Cable Router for Gaming – You can master every element of your favorite game, know all of the ins and outs that you need to defeat your opponents and set up the perfect gaming rig to get the ideal experience. But none of it matters if your internet connection is slow. There is no bigger disadvantage in gaming than lag, which is why it is important to get a router and modem that are specifically for gaming.
Don’t leave it up to your internet service provider to give you a generic router and modem that might not be capable of giving you the connection you need, instead, grab one of these best gaming routers and watch your gaming experience level up.