Best Coax Router – Upgrading your cable modem (the box that turns the cable coming into your house into an internet signal) and Wi-Fi router (the box that takes this connection and turns it into Wi-Fi) is a surefire way to make your internet experience better and cheaper, as most cable companies charge a monthly fee to rent them.
The best cable modem/router combos will do the same job at a fraction of the cost of two devices, and in a far simpler way, with fewer cables and power plugs
ROUND UPback to menu ↑
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 1Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps), Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM1000 replaces your cable modem saving you up to dollar 168/year in equipment rental fees.
“I’m very happy and impressed on how drastically this improved my speed,” they write. “Plugged in everything, set up everything, then I tested my speed. And Jesus. I was getting 235 Mbps download and 12 Upload 10 ping.” Other reviewers mention the simple setup process: “The new modem was up and running in less than ten minutes.
Holy smokes! What a difference this made,” one says. According to another, it “changed my internet from bullet speed to light speed. I’m paying for 250 mbps but this thing keeps clocking in close to 600 mbps. So … yeah … pretty damn satisfied!!”back to menu ↑
2.ARRIS SURFboard SBG10
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 0 Cable Modem, AC1600 dual-band Wi-Fi Router, 2 Port Gigabit Ethernet Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Wi-Fi 5 AC1600 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports
One satisfied reviewer who bought this modem instead of renting one from his service provider says, “let me tell you this is a great product. I waited a few months to write this review and ensure that my Wi-Fi has functioned properly before writing this and so far it has been great and almost paid for itself.”
Another reviewer praises the Arris for its stability in a crowded building: “The apartment complex where I live requires you to have your own modem/router. I haven’t had a single glitch or problem with it and I’ve been using it for almost two months now.back to menu ↑
3.NETGEAR CM400 C
- ELIMINATE MONTHLY CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES - Up to $156 per year
- DOCSIS 3. 0 Cable Modem with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. One (1) Gigabit Ethernet port with auto-sensing technology
“This will be all the modem you ever need unless you plan to go over 450 megs in the future,” writes one IT professional. More than 1,000 reviewers give this cable modem a five-star rating, with hundreds saying this works well for everyday streaming and connecting multiple electronics.
“I have the following items that may be online at any time and all at once: Xbox One, PS3, two laptops, one desktop, one cell phone, and one tablet,” one reviewer writes, explaining, “I can play Netflix on all devices…and there is no buffering at all.” Reviewers also praise this modem for saving them money. “If you’re paying for renting a cable modem, get this,” one urges, saying, “You will start saving money in 3 months.back to menu ↑
- Model MB7621 is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 650 Mbps. Wirecutter rates this “the best modem for most people.” A Full-Band Capture Digital Tuner ensures faster, more reliable Internet.
- This cable modem's 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to a WiFi router, computer, HDTV, game station, or streaming video device. Great for use with Whole Home WiFi or Mesh networks like eero, Google WiFi, and Orbi. (This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability. The Motorola MG7315, MG7540, MG7550, and MG7700 have a built-in wireless router.)
One user who “upgraded our service to a 400mbps because we have a gamer in the house plus about 14 connected devices on our WiFi” found that “every speed test I have performed since activating has delivered 375-395mbps,” which is very fast. They add that “the difference is remarkable” compared to their old modem. Another reports that this modem is “completely reliable with no downtime.”
Dozens more note that this runs cool and is easy to setup, which came as a relief to one self-proclaimed “not tech-savvy” reviewer. “Sometimes you just got to take a chance on life, so I took the plunge and bought it because the Motorola website said it would provide technical support if I ran into any problems…My fears were for naught because the set up was super easy.”back to menu ↑
5.ARRIS SURFboard (16×4)
- 3 products in 1: 16x4 Cable Modem, AC1900 Dual band Wi-Fi Router, 4 Port Gigabit Router. Operating System Compatibility-Linux, Mac, Unix, Windows
- APPROVED with major U.S. Cable Providers Xfinity and Cox. Compatible with Spectrum (Time Warner, Charter and Brighthouse). REQUIRES Cable Internet Service. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon or CenturyLink
If you’re looking for a “zero-frustration” cable modem, one reviewer claims this is it. “We saw great reviews for this product when we purchased it and we can now confirm that this is super fast, easy to install, reliable, reasonably priced, and maintenance free,” they write. With this dual cable modem and WiFi router device, reviewers say they get a strong connection throughout their home.
One writes, “Strong signal throughout my 2 floor home, with range to the street, in my garages and throughout the backyard,” while another says “the WiFi reaches the whole house at 1700 square feet.” Another reviewer who thinks it was “definitely worth the upgrade” praises this device not only for its WiFi but Ethernet speeds as well.back to menu ↑
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM500 replaces your cable modem, saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps).
“The days of experiencing problems streaming media via Firestick, phone, computer is over,” raves one reviewer who has “3 smart TVs, 2 Firesticks, 3 laptops, 3 cell phones and numerous video games using WiFi at any given time” and has “never seen the modem/router even flinch.”
Another user says that after they “finally got rid off Spectrum’s shitty modem they give [you] and a old router” their internet was much faster. “Plugged in everything set up everything then I tested my speed.back to menu ↑
7.ARRIS SURFboard SB6190
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers.
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 800 Mbps. Easily setup your modem with the SURFboard Central app
“I was randomly losing connection for a few seconds at a time. I’d be watching TV, and it would start buffering out of nowhere. I’d be playing online games and get dropped from the server, constantly. I couldn’t use discord [a messaging and voice-chat platform popularized by gamers].
All in all, it was miserable,” writes one reviewer. “But then on a whim I decided to try a new modem. I have not had a single issue since I got this. I receive consistent speeds and no more dropped connections.”back to menu ↑
Best Coax Router – However, it’s not quite that simple. Not all modems work with all providers, and you’ll need to make sure the unit you buy is compatible with your cable company (e.g Spectrum, Cox or AT&T). Information about compatibility can usually be found on your cable provider’s website. If not, it’s best to call and check before you buy.