Best Dd-wrt Router – Before we get started, let’s answer some common doubts. First of all, yes – it’s true that DD-WRT routers can be quite expensive. However, we fully understand that our readers want options for different budgets and routers suitable for different needs.
That’s the reason why we’ll go over a sizeable list of the best DD-WRT routers, providing answers to all your questions. And also, make sure to closely inspect the specs of your chosen router before buying it. This will help you make sure that you can use your Web connection up to its full extent, especially its speed.
1.NETGEAR R6700 – AC1750
- Recommended for up to 25 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming plus, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, and more
- USB connections: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest Wi-Fi access, DOS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
- Netgear Armor protects your network and connected devices from Internet threats; Get peace of mind knowing you have the best in class anti virus, anti malware, and data protection for all your smart devices, smartphones, and computers with a 30 day free trial
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest Wi-Fi access, DOS, Firewall, VPN, and more. System requirements: Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux. Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
If you decide to go with the R6700, you’ll get a complete package at a very interesting price. In many ways, it’s similar to our next suggestion but also brings a few interesting compromises that average home users wouldn’t mind.
First of all, this router brings a well-known design that’s unique to routers made by NETGEAR. The company has included one front-placed USB 3.0 that can be used for external storage devices. This allows you to easily create entertainment hubs and access those from different devices. There’s also one more interesting thing. You’ll get three high-power antennas that are not only adjustable but removable as well.
- Fast wireless router provides Wi-Fi coverage for your home (works with existing modem)
- Open source firmware offers advanced customization; Certified operating systems: MacOS (10.X or higher), Windows 7, Windows 8.1 (Works with Windows 10)
- Tri stream 160 technology doubles bandwidth from 80 MHz to 160 MHz
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- Dual band Wi-Fi speeds up to 2.6 Gbps (2.4 GHz / 600 Mbps) plus (5 GHz / 2600 Mbps). Operating temperature: 32 to 104 F (0 to 40 C)
- MU MIMO (Multi User Multiple Input Multiple Output) provides Wi-Fi to multiple devices at once, at the same high speed
- Power supply: Input: 100 240V - 50 60Hz; Output: 12V, 3.0A
- Amazon exclusive extended 18 month warranty
When it comes to the best Linksys routers, the WRT-3200ACM model is one of the top-rated. This is a real beast in terms of its performance and specs, and we recommend it to those who really want the very best.
Inside of this router, Linksys has packed a 1.8Ghz dual-core CPU, 512 MB of RAM and 256MB of flash storage. There are four Ethernet ports, a USB 3.0 port for sharing files and an eSATA port for file transfers. Aside from using the built-in software, you can install a custom DD-WRT management option to fine-tune this router to your needs.
- 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz Concurrent Dual-Band Transmissions for Strong Signal Strength and Ultra-Fast Connection Rates up to 900Mbps
- Gigabit Ethernet Ports for the Fastest, Most Reliable Internet Performance
- Download Master for Wireless Data Storage and Access to Router-Connected USB Storage Devices
- Expanded Wireless Coverage with 3 Detachable High-Powered Antennas
- File Sharing, Printer Sharing, and 3G Sharing via Two Multi-Functional Built-in USB Ports
- ASUSWRT Dashboard UI for Easy Setup, Signal Monitoring, and Network Application Control
- WAN Ports - 1 x 10/100/1000M, LAN Ports - 4 x 10/100/1000M
At the moment, the RT-N66U is one of the most popular DD-WRT routers on the market. It’s been available for a while now and it’s price had dropped in the meantime. On the other hand, this router brings capable features that should meet the needs of above-average home users.
If you take a closer look at the RT-N66U, you’ll see that it brings support for 802.11ac – which isn’t the latest nor the fastest Wi-Fi standard. However, it can still support Web connections of up to 900Mbps, which is definitely more than what many of us will ever need. It’s also worth noting that you’ll get two USB 2.0 ports (which means there no USB 3.0 here) which should still serve you well in terms of creating a digital media center.
4.D-Link WiFi Router
- AC2600 Dual band router: Wi-Fi speeds of up to 2600 Mbps (800 Mbps in 2.4 gigahertz plus 1733 Mbps in 5 gigahertz) to support more connected Wi-Fi devices to your high speed home network
- Stream, game, and more: Enjoy 4K/HD video and online gaming simultaneously with 4 x 4 data streams and 4 high performance antennas
- Dual Core Processor: The dual core processor gives you powerful wired and wireless internet network speeds
- Multi user MIMO technology: Significantly improves simultaneous streaming on multiple devices
- Advanced Smart Beam: Tracks your connected devices for enhanced Wi-Fi speed and range throughout your home
- Intelligent quality of Service: Traffic optimization delivers seamless performance for your applications
- 2 USB ports: Remotely deliver high speed data transmissions for storage devices (1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0)
- Intuitive user interface: For easy setupfrom your mobile devices and network management from your desktop
- Connect securely: WPA/WPA2 encryption for home network security
First of all, we think you’re going to love the way this router is designed. It brings a modern design and fits nicely into any room. Then, there’s a whole series of interesting features. The DIR-878 supports the latest 802.11ac standard and can be used for beamforming. You can install it in a matter of minutes and you’ll get to use an intuitively designed Web interface through which you can fine-tune its settings.
And when it comes to its performance, you can use both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz networks, combined up to 1.9Gbps which should make any Web-related task as smooth as possible. All in all, the DIR-878 truly brings a lot of value for its price, which is why we believe this is one of the best DD-WRT routers right now.
- 【WIRELESS MOBILE MINI TRAVEL ROUTER】 Convert a public network(wired/wireless) to a private Wi-Fi for secure surfing. Create a secure Wi-Fi hotspot quickly. Tethering, 3G/4G USB Modem Compatible. Powered by any laptop USB, power banks or 5V DC adapters (sold separately). 39g (1.41 Oz) only, portable and pocket friendly.
- 【OPEN SOURCE & PROGRAMMABLE】 OpenWrt/LEDE pre-installed, backed by software repository. DDWrt supported. USB disk extendable.
- 【VPN CLIENT & SERVER】 OpenVPN and WireGuard pre-installed, compatible with 30+ VPN service providers.
- 【LARGER STORAGE & EXTENSIBILITY】 64MB RAM, 16MB Flash ROM, dual Ethernet ports, UART and 2.54mm standard GPIOs available for hardware DIY.
- 【PACKAGE CONTENTS】 GL-AR150-Ext mini router (1-year Warranty), USB cable, Ethernet cable, User Manual.
You are most probably surprised by the size of its router. As you can see, it’s quite small and it’s lightweight. That’s because the GL-AR150 is meant to be a travel-friendly router. As such, it can turn any wired connection into a wireless one, and reap number benefits along the way. And of course, since we’re talking about this product in our article on the best DD-WRT routers, it supports this kind of firmware as well.
You need to know that the GL-AR150 supports Web speeds of up to 150Mbps. Also, it comes with a single USB port. This means that you can also use this router with different types of external storage options. This kind of modular design is really hard to come by, especially when it comes to affordable routers.
- Delivers blazing fast AC1900 speeds up to 1.9GBPS (600+1300 Mbps) for seamless 4K steaming and lag-free gaming
- Next-generation beamforming technology creates direct connections to all your devices for reliable, fast WiFi
- 1GHz powerful dual-core processor easily handles multiple devices (laptops, tablets, phones, smart home, Alexa-enabled devices & more)
- Easily share media w/ 1x USB 3.0 and 1x 2.0 ports to easily share printers, files, and media across your network
Despite its somewhat odd design, TP-Link’s Archer C9 might just be the perfect router for average home users. It brings plenty of power under the hood as well as a few features typically found in more expensive models.
Since this is a DD-WRT router, we first need to take a look at its internals. The C9 model comes with a 1Ghz dual-core processor and has 128MB of RAM. This means that running DD-WRT firmware should not produce any issues, whatsoever. Once you decide to connect your devices, you can count on 2.4Ghz and 5GHz networks with a total bandwidth of up to 1,900Mbps – which is what really stands out here. And on top of all of this, the C9 includes USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports, which means that connecting other devices is a possibility.
7.NETGEAR (R8000) – AC3200
- Recommended for up to 50 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- Wired Ethernet ports: plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 6 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and more.
- USB connections: Share a storage drive and printer with any connected device, and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1x3.0 and 1x2.0 USB ports.
- Smart parental controls: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free. Set online time limits, schedule device internet access, and more for dollar 4.99/month (1st month free trial).
- Netgear Armor protects your network and connected devices from Internet threats. Get peace of mind knowing you have the best-in-class anti-virus, anti-malware, and data protection for all your smart devices, smartphones, and computers with a 30 day free trial.
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest WiFi access, DOS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
The best part about this router is the fact that it offers 3,200 Mbps bandwidth no matter when. It even boasts of both manual and automatic configurations.
Starting with the design of the router, it offers a sleek and angular build. The geometrically lined grille has a neat, beast-like appearance. The 13 LEDs at the bottom provide clear notifications for when the bands and ports are activated. Lastly, the six durable antennas help achieve great signal for speedy performance.
For setup, it takes not more than 5 minutes, thanks to the powerful Genie software setup wizard. All you have to do is connect the router to your computer and log into its main website. It does just about everything for you. It’s that straightforward and efficient.
Best Dd-wrt Router – Without any doubt, DD-WRT routers are perhaps the best way to experience everything your Web connection has to offer. By getting a capable router and installing DD-WRT firmware, you get a whole arsenal of advanced tools that let you control, fine-tune, and optimize your Web browsing experience.
Features like parental controls and content filtering, advanced optimization for different online activities, online privacy protection, and protection against malware are just the tip of a giant iceberg. However, the big question here is – what are truly the best DD-WRT routers in 2021? Well, let us tell you – you’ve come to the right place!