Best Docsis 3.1 Modem for Comcast – With the DOCSIS 4.0 standard that is currently being worked upon, the downstream speeds are still going to be at about 10 Gbps, but the upstream speeds are going to get a major boost, and would reach 6 Gbps.
With that in mind, it is important to understand the history of the DOCSIS standard because it shows you that these standards are all an ever-evolving process and as our needs and internet requirements rise, there will be newer, faster standards which will support an even faster downstream/upstream speed. The technology took a major jump over the past three decades as it went from 10 Mbps to 10 Gbps – a sign of changing needs and changing times.
ROUND UPback to menu ↑
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
Motorola is among the oldest and the most trustworthy names when it comes to network solutions. This is among the best DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems from the company, the Motorola MB8600 supports very high connection speeds – ranging up to 6,000 Mbps at the upper limit. The modem is certified by various ISP networks such as Comcast, Xfinity, and Cox, and supports their Gigabit plans really well. In fact, this is among the best modems for Gigabit connections.
Since this modem has been approved by various ISP networks, you won’t even need a rental modem from them and you could save over $150 which would otherwise have to be paid to your ISP in rental charges. The modem is also highly compatible with practically all WiFi routers which will help you ensure the fast internet reaches all over your home.back to menu ↑
- Supports internet speed up to 2Gbps. Certified with Xfinity Internet & Voice Plans up to 800Mbps speed. Future speed with Xfinity is subject to change
- Works with any WiFi router. Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices
One of the most prominent names when it comes to getting modems and routers for your home network, Netgear also makes some of the best DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems, and the CM1150V is a top name from the company. This modem supports speeds up to 2 Gbps and is more than enough for an entire household’s high-speed internet needs.
The modem has been certified to function really well with Comcast Xfinity internet connections, and also replaces the rental cable modem, which would otherwise cost you $168 in yearly rental. Besides that, there is no restriction on the router too, and you can purchase any router to connect with this modem without any restrictions.back to menu ↑
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 2Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps) and Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers may change over time. Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- Works with any WiFi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices
If you are looking for a value-for-money sort of a deal, this modem from Netgear (once again) is something that you should totally get your hands on. Priced under $200, you aren’t really getting it for ‘cheap’, but this is something that is totally worth every penny that you will be paying for it. This DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem from Netgear has impressed millions of users all over the world and is one of our favorites too.
It supports the usual list of ISPs, Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. These three companies have officially approved of it and you will not need to buy their rental modem if you own this one. Straight up, you save $168 in rental costs if you own this. This is an ideal modem for those people who require high-speed internet connections, but more so for those who need stability.back to menu ↑
4.ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 1 Gbps. Note, a 2nd IP address is required from your cable internet provider to reach 1 Gbps.
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
After a flurry of Netgear routers, here comes one from ARRIS. One of the first things that really stands out about this modem that makes it a top choice is the fact that it supports a very long list of Internet Service Providers. This is one of the best DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem out there, and supports high speeds of up to 2 Gbps.
This modem from Arris is, technically speaking, one of the most robust devices out there and one which will last you for a very long time. It has been designed using the 32 x 8 channel bonding technology, which ensures that the data is prioritized based on your needs and the network traffic is organized better to ensure tasks with a higher priority get better internet access. Besides that, the modem supports 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels.back to menu ↑
- Integrated cable modem and WiFi 6 router provides high-performance WiFi coverage for up to 2,500 sq. ft. and 40+ devices. Expand coverage by 2,500 sq. ft. with each optional Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 satellite (sold separately)
- DOCSIS 3.1 modem supports Internet plans up to 4Gbps and is compatible with most cable service providers. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps) and Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers are subject to change over time
Perhaps the best option out there for anyone who needs a very fast and very stable wireless connection, and doesn’t want a separate router from a modem. This is a wireless router that comes in with a built-in DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, which is an incredible option for people who wish to use it in a large home. The router supports a large number of ISPs, but comcast is not one of them, which is one drawback that you need to know up-front about.
This WiFi system from Netgear (not the last time you’re seeing this name on our list) comes with 8 simultaneous WiFi streams, which makes it very easy for you to manage multiple connections at the same time. At a coverage of 2500 sq. ft., this wireless router is just the perfect option for anyone who has a large home, or needs a multi-floor connectivity. Moreover, you can wirelessly connect over 40 devices to this router at the same time. You can even expand your wireless coverage by buying satellites which will help you beam the internet into an even larger area.back to menu ↑
6.ARRIS SURFboard T25
- Certified to work with Xfinity internet & voice service Not certified for use with other cable internet service providers
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem with 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
Arris makes some of the best DOCSIS 3.0 and DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems out there, and this is another example of the fine work that they’ve been putting in. However, unlike the other Arris modems that you have seen in our list which are rather chonky looking and box-like, this one has a somewhat better look to it, thanks to some much-needed design changes. This is a pure cable modem and does not include a built-in wireless router.
On the back of this modem, there are four ports – two x 1-gig Ethernet ports, as well as 2 phone lines. There’s also a port for the coax cable to enter the modem. The modem can support internet speeds up to 2Gbps on the Xfinity network, which is another major plus point – giving you an access to the maximum possible speed that you can get on cable internet at the moment.back to menu ↑
7.ARRIS Surfboard SB6183-RB
- APPROVED with Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse), Cox and more. If not sure call your cable provider to find out if approved to use. REQUIRES Cable Internet Service. Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router). NO support for Cable TELCO options
While the ARRIS SB6183 runs on DOCSIS 3.0 tech—older than the DOCSIS 3.1 of the two previous devices—it’s still a zippy little modem. If you have an Xfinity Blast! or Blast! Pro Plus plan, go for this device to get the speeds you need without forking out a ton of dough.back to menu ↑
Best Docsis 3.1 Modem for Comcast – With DOCSIS 3.0 in 2006, another major shift in speeds came up as they shot up from 40 Mbps in DOCSIS 2.0 to 1 Gbps in 3.0. DOCSIS 3.0 continues to be a popular type of modem that is still in use today, but is fading out of the markets ever since DOCSIS 3.1 was introduced in 2013. It was a 10x improvement, as it supported download speeds of over 10Mbps and upload speeds between 1-2 Gbps.