Best Docsis 3.1 Router – With that in mind, it is important to understand the history of the DOCSIS standard because it shows you that these standards are all an ever-evolving process and as our needs and internet requirements rise, there will be newer, faster standards which will support an even faster downstream/upstream speed.
The technology took a major jump over the past three decades as it went from 10 Mbps to 10 Gbps – a sign of changing needs and changing times.
1.ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 2 Gbps. Note, a 2nd IP address is required from your cable internet provider to reach 2 Gbps.
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
- Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- Cable internet service required; Does not inlcude Wi-Fi and does not support cable digital voice service
The ARRIS SB8200 is one of the best DOCSIS 3.1 modems for cable ISPs, considering the extremely reasonable price tag and a respectable compatibility catalog. The ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 can reach download speeds of up to 2Gbps.
However, for this to work, the ISP must offer gig internet plans or even multi-gig packages in the future. With this modem in play, it is easier to future-proof your internet setup at an affordable rate.
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d like, including Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mesh routers like eero, Google Wi-Fi, and Orbi. A 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port allows connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides advanced security from denial-of service attacks.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) - AQM significantly reduces Internet latency on both DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 services, resulting in faster page loads for all Web traffic and enhanced interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing. The MB8600 also includes a full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
Internet service providers like Comcast Xfinity and Cox have high-speed plans in place. Be it the Gigabit Xfinity from Comcast or the Cox Gigablast, the Motorola MB8600 can help you reach the highest possible speeds, without connection drops or latency.
The Motorola MB8600 features one of the best DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem technology. While this modem can reach up to 6Gbps, provided the ISP hardware is capable of accommodating this, the existing plans can only allow you to experience up to 1.2Gbps speeds.
- Supports internet speed up to 2Gbps. Certified with Xfinity Internet & Voice Plans up to 800Mbps speed. Future speed with Xfinity is subject to change
- Works with any WiFi router. Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices
- Save monthly rental fees. Model CM1150V replaces your cable modem saving you up to $150/yr in equipment rental fees
- Four (4) Gigabit Ethernet ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, separate WiFi router, printer, game box, and other devices
- For use with Xfinity Voice service and up to 2 telephone lines with enhanced call features including caller ID, 3 way conference calling, call forwarding and more
- Modem technology: Engineered with 32x8 channel bonding, OFDM 2x2, and DOCSIS 3.1
- Multi-gig Ethernet: Link aggregation combines two 1G ports into one 2G port for faster wired ethernet speed
If your service provider has the infrastructure in place to churn out speeds of up to 2 Gbps, this modem can be quite a handful, considering the engineering, 32 x 8 channel bonding technology in place.
Although the 4096 QAM and OFDM technology, paired with channel bonding strength, allows the modem to reach download speeds of up to 10 Gbps. The ISP restrictions will allow less than this, and the speed also depends on the quality of the router in place.
- input voltage：120 -240V
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and Cable bundled voice services
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C7000 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to $150/yr in equipment rental fees. System Requirements Cable broadband Internet service, Check your cable Internet service provider web site for data speed tier compatibility, Not compatible with Cable bundled voice services, Microsoft Windows 7, 8, Vista, XP, 2000, Mac OS, UNIX, or Linux, Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, or Google Chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- BUILT FOR FAST SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 400 Mbps speed
- FAST Wi Fi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1800 sq ft wireless coverage and 30 devices connected with AC1900 speed (up to 1900 Mbps)
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 USB ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: Engineered with 24x8 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0
- SAFE & SECURE: Includes parental controls, and supports WEP and WPA/WPA2 wireless security protocols
While certain websites have listed the existing modem technology as DOCSIS 3.0, the new NETGEAR Nighthawk C7000 with DOCSIS 3.1 is also up for grabs. However, the backward compatibility ensures that it pairs perfectly with the DOCSIS 3.0 technology.
Even though it’s listed “for Cable Plans Up 400 Mbps” under ideal conditions, the NETGEAR Nighthawk C7000 Modem-Router Combo can reach speeds of up to 1900Mbps. The excellent router coverage of 1800Sqft is one of the class-leading features associated with this combo, followed by Beamforming+ support.
5.NETGEAR Nighthawk Multi-Gig
- Delivers true Multi-Gig Internet speeds with link aggregation support
- Built-in high-speed DOCSIS 3.1 channel bonding cable modem
- Two (2) Gigabit Ethernet port with auto-sensing technology
- DOCSIS 3.1 provides up to 10X faster download speeds than DOCSIS 3.1
- 2 OFDM downstream & 2 OFDMA upstream channels
The Nighthawk CM1200 is an amazing standalone modem priced competitively. And comes with decent support for wired connections as well. It’s compatible with multiple service providers: Cox, Comcast Xfinity, and Spectrum.
The Nighthawk CM1200 justifies the quality with four gig Ethernet ports and a maximum 2Gbps speed limit to rely on. However, the limitations of the ISP ensure that the speeds are most often capped at 1Gbps.
6.ARRIS SURFboard T25
- Certified to work with Xfinity internet & voice service Not certified for use with other cable internet service providers
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem with 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels. Compatibility-Comcast Xfinity
- Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 Telephony ports for Xfinity digital voice service
- Best for Xfinity internet speed plans up to 1 Gbps
- Xfinity internet service required. Does NOT include Wi-Fi Router
Both Arris T25 and Netgear CM1150V support speeds up to 1 Gbps and offer also support for the voice service (VoIP) from Xfinity.
They are also capable to support even higher Internet plans (up to 2Gbps) with proper link aggregation as we will describe later in this article.
Cable modems are not sophisticated devices, so there are not many things to compare. However, there are some crucial specifications that you need to be aware of, and the purpose of this article is to highlight these important specs so that to help you buy the best modem for your home.
- Fast 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 cable Modem Plus a built-in AC1900 Dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, power boost Wi-Fi amplifiers, firewall security, and more. The maximum modem speed is 1000 Mbps, supporting service speeds up to 650.
- Eliminate up to 156 dollars per year in cable Modem rental fees. (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) certified by all leading cable service providers including Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Charter spectrum (no cable Modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Built-in high-speed router with AC1900 wireless and Power boost - Provides internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, and more. 4 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers and other Ethernet-capable devices. A Broadcom cable Modem Chipset provides security from denial of service attacks.
- Wireless power boost for better speed and range - Adds high-performance Wi-Fi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant Boost in speed and range. In addition, anybeam Performing at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range
The downside of this arrangement is that they usually charge you a monthly equipment rental fee which might seem small on paper but adds up over time. The Motorola MG7700 is a modem and router combo that can put your ISP’s unit to shame with four gigabit-capable LAN ports, dual-band Wi-Fi, and user-friendly setup.
We recently reviewed the MG7700 to examine just how well it would perform in an average home environment by evaluating the design, ease of setup, network speeds, and software features.
Best Docsis 3.1 Router – Although most of the DOCSIS 3.1 modems are backward-compatible with DOCSIS 3.0, you should only get them if your internet provider has rolled out the technology in your area. Before choosing an internet modem, make sure that it’s compatible with your Service Provider or else it won’t connect. To make it easy for you, we’ve added the compatible and non-compatible service providers near every modem listed below, but it’s recommended that you double-check with your internet service provider.
Unlike the old DOCSIS 3.0 modems which come with different channel bonding variations (8×4, 16×8, 24×8, 32×8), the 3.1 modems only come has 32 x 8 channels (32 downstream and 8 upstream). This channel bonding setup ensures that the device is capable of handling high-gigabit internet plans.