Best Ethernet Modem – Although most of the DOCSIS 3.1 modems are backward-compatible with DOCSIS 3.0, you should only get them if your internet provider has rolled out the technology in your area. Before choosing an internet modem, make sure that it’s compatible with your Service Provider or else it won’t connect.
To make it easy for you, we’ve added the compatible and non-compatible service providers near every modem listed below, but it’s recommended that you double-check with your internet service provider.
- Model MB7621 is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 650 Mbps. Wirecutter rates this “the best modem for most people.” A Full-Band Capture Digital Tuner ensures faster, more reliable Internet.
- This cable modem's 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to a WiFi router, computer, HDTV, game station, or streaming video device. Great for use with Whole Home WiFi or Mesh networks like eero, Google WiFi, and Orbi. (This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability. The Motorola MG7315, MG7540, MG7550, and MG7700 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service.Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable, BrightHouse, CableOne, SuddenLink, RCN, and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable modem rental fees up to 156 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by cable service provider. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others. Model MB7621 has no phone jack.)
- Setup is fast and easy using the quick start guide.
- Attractive, compact design minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office. A 2-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
The Motorola MB7621 is reliable, supports the fastest internet speeds available to the vast majority of Americans, and offers compatibility with just about every non-gigabit plan from every cable internet service provider in the US—including Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (formerly Time Warner, Charter, and Bright House), Cox, Suddenlink, Sparklight/Cable One, and WOW—which gives you flexibility if you move or switch ISPs.
The MB7621 works well for plans up to 600 megabits per second, because it’s a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that can handle 24 downstream channels and eight upstream channels. It also includes a two-year warranty.
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router).Memory: 8 MB NOR flash and 128 MB RAM
- Support Cable Internet Service plans up to 300Mbps. Recommended for all speed tiers up to 500 Mbps. Separate router required for WiFi. 24x8 channel bonding
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. DOCSIS 3.0 unleashes 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- Ideal for streaming 4K UHD content, fastest downloads, and high-speed online gaming
The Netgear CM600 is a 24×8 DOCSIS 3.0 modem that supports the same performance levels as the Motorola MB7621, though it is slightly more expensive.
The biggest downside is that, although the CM600 has positive reviews from owners, it comes with only a one-year warranty, whereas most modems come with a two-year warranty.
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM500 replaces your cable modem, saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps).
- Works with any wifi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate WiFi router.
- Modem technology: Engineered with 16x4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0.
America’s average internet speeds measure around 180 Mbps, depending on which survey you pick. If your plan is in that range and you don’t intend to upgrade beyond 300 Mbps anytime soon, we recommend the Netgear CM500.
The CM500 matches the ISP compatibility of the pricier CM600, but its maximum download and upload speeds are lower (300 Mbps on the CM500 versus 600 Mbps on the CM600, though Suddenlink certifies it for 500 Mbps speeds). The CM500 has a good reputation for reliability, but like the CM600 it comes with only a one-year warranty.
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d like, including Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mesh routers like eero, Google Wi-Fi, and Orbi. A 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port allows connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides advanced security from denial-of service attacks.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) - AQM significantly reduces Internet latency on both DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 services, resulting in faster page loads for all Web traffic and enhanced interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing. The MB8600 also includes a full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
If you already have a gigabit internet plan and your ISP allows you to use your own modem, the Motorola MB8600 is the best of the DOCSIS 3.1 modems that are widely available right now because of its relatively low price and its two-year warranty.
You’ll need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem to guarantee gigabit speeds from most cable ISPs, and the MB8600 is also compatible with gigabit internet on networks that still use the DOCSIS 3.0 standard; for example, Sparklight/Cable One supports both DOCSIS 3.0 (32×8) and DOCSIS 3.1 modems for its GigaOne service.
5.ARRIS Surfboard SBG8300-RB
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem, AC2350 Dual band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U S Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others Cable internet service required Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream DOCSIS 3 1 OFDM channels Best for cable internet speed plans up to 4 Gbps. Cable internet service required
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app Add SURFboard skills to your Alexa network for voice management of your Wi-Fi settings
- ARRIS REFURBISHED only SBG8300-RB with part number 1000926-RB
The ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300 is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem with a dual-band Wi-Fi router attached. In that respect, it’s pretty much just like NETGEAR’s Nighthawk C7800, only without the Nighthawk’s red, wavy stripe, cool antennas, or added security features.
The big bonus here is that you can save on space in your home and maybe a little money by opting for a gigabit modem router rather than having to shop for both a modem and a router.
- COMPATIBLE WITH XFINITY INTERNET & VOICE SERVICE: Certified by Comcast for Xfinity. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and non Xfinity voice services
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model CM1150V replaces your cable modem saving you up to $150/yr in equipment rental fees
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 2 Gigabits speed
- WORKS WITH ANY WiFi ROUTER: Connect any WiFi router to this modem's ethernet port to support all your wireless devices
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, separate WiFi router, printer, game box, and other devices
- VOICE PHONE SUPPORT: For use with Xfinity Voice service and up to 2 telephone lines with enhanced call features including caller ID, 3 way conference calling, call forwarding and more
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: Engineered with 32x8 channel bonding, OFDM 2x2, and DOCSIS 3.1.Compatible Operating System:Windows 7,8,10,Vista,XP,2000, Mac OS. Compatible web browser:Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or Later,Firefox 2.0 or later, Safari 1.4 or Later, Google Chrome 11.0 or Later
- MULTI GIG ETHERNET: Link aggregation combines two 1G ports into one 2G port for faster wired ethernet speed
If your service provider has the infrastructure in place to churn out speeds of up to 2 Gbps, this modem can be quite a handful, considering the engineering, 32 x 8 channel bonding technology in place.
Although the 4096 QAM and OFDM technology, paired with channel bonding strength, allows the modem to reach download speeds of up to 10 Gbps. The ISP restrictions will allow less than this, and the speed also depends on the quality of the router in place.
In terms of ports, we were pleased to see 4 gig slots on the modem itself. Netgear also offers link aggregation support to help you combine two 1G connections into a single 2G output, provided the ISP permits this. This multi-gig modem features Active Queue Management, minimizing latency and gaming ping.
- 3 products in 1: 32x8 Cable Modem, AC1750 Dual band Wi-Fi Router, 4 Port Gigabit Router
- APPROVED with major U.S. Cable Providers Xfinity and Cox. Compatible with Spectrum (Time Warner, Charter and Brighthouse). REQUIRES Cable Internet Service. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem: 32 DOWNLOAD & 8 UPLOAD channels to maximize your Cable ISP service offerings. APPROVED for plans of 300 Mbps and above. Supports IPv4 and IPv6 – the latest Internet standard
- Router: AC1750 2.4/5.0 GHz Dual-band Concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports. Wi-Fi beamforming – max coverage and performance
- Security: McAfee Secure Whole Home Internet with App to monitor and configure.Up to 1.4 Gbps DOCSIS Download Speeds
- Easy Mobile Management - Monitor and control your entire home network from your smartphone.
Most smart homes today have an increasing number of devices that connect to the internet through Wi-Fi. It has become a necessity to have a modem router combo that is capable of supporting a growing number of devices.
ARRIS Surfboard SBG8300 is a three-in-one network device that works as a modem, a four-port gigabit router, and the AC2350 dual-band WiFi.
This advanced modem provides internet broadband speed over 10Gbps and a WiFi speed up to 2350 Mbps. It is capable of streaming videos in ultra-HD easily. You can play online games without buffering.
Best Ethernet Modem – Did your cable internet provider roll out DOCSIS 3.1 based gigabit connections in your service area? To get gigabit internet speeds (up to 10 Gbps) and other benefits, you’ll need a DOCSIS 3.1 modem.
Although you can rent a modem or a modem/router combo from your ISP, we think it’s better to purchase one. But, which one?