Best Ethernet Router – Additional features like firewalls and simple network controls can also vary from one router to the next.
These are the best wired routers in 2021 thanks to at least four connection ports for computers and devices, in addition to the input port that connects to your modem or other networking device.
You get great speed and performance through these routers since they all support 10/100Mpbs ethernet connections, though some of them offer gigabit support for even faster data rates. All of these routers include excellent performance and security features, such as port forwarding, DoS protection, and firewall protection.
1.Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway (USG)
Pros & Cons
- 3 Gigabit Ethernet ports, CLI management for advanced users
- 1 million packets per second for 64-byte packets
- 3 Gbps total line rate for packets 512 bytes or larger
- Integrated and managed with UniFi Controller v4.x
- Secure off-site management and monitoring, Silent, fanless operation
I covered EdgeRouter 4 in the article here where I compared it with another Ubiquity product, the USG (Unifi Security Gateway).
It is one of the most powerful router models in this article, but if you are a novice in networking concepts then maybe it is not for you.
The EdgeRouter 4 is managed by its own full-fledged management GUI (web based) which provides all configuration options available and is very powerful. However, you need to know some networking concepts to make full use of its capabilities.
If you have Gigabit Internet connection, then ER-4 can easily handle gigabit speeds, provided that you don’t enable any Deep Packet Inspection (DPI) or QoS features that slow-down the device.
2.MikroTik hEX S
Pros & Cons
- Mikrotik hEX S (RB760iGS) is a five port Gigabit Ethernet router for locations where wireless connectivity is not required.
- It comes with a very powerful dual core 880 MHz CPU and 256 MB RAM, capable of all the advanced configurations that RouterOS supports.
- The device has a USB 2.0, PoE output for Ethernet port #5 and a 1.25Gbit/s SFP cage.
- 5x Gigabit Ethernet, SFP, Dual Core 880MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, USB, microSD, RouterOS L4, IPsec hardware encryption support and The Dude server package.
- IPsec hardware encryption (~470 Mbps) and The Dude server package is supported, microSD slot on it provides improved r/w speed for file storage and Dude.
MikroTik is a European company (from Latvia) founded in 1996. They managed to become one of the top SOHO router manufacturers with fanatic users worldwide.
Their router devices are based on RouterBOARD hardware running on RouterOS software.
MikroTik is an excellent option for home networks where you don’t need a wireless connection for PCs, laptops, and phones.
hEX S comes with 5 -Gigabit ports with two of them supporting Power over Ethernet (PoE), one of them to power the router itself (PoE in) and one to power other devices (PoE out).
Pros & Cons
- Five Gigabit Ports — 1 Gigabit WAN Port + 3 Gigabit WAN/LAN Ports +1 Gigabit LAN Port. Up to four WAN ports optimize bandwidth usage through one device.
- Integrated into Omada SDN — Omada’s Software Defined Networking (SDN) platform integrates network devices including gateways, access points & switches with multiple control options offered – Omada Hardware controller or Omada Software Controller. Standalone mode also applies.
- Cloud Access — Remote Cloud access and Omada app brings centralized cloud management of the whole network from different sites—all controlled from a single interface anywhere, anytime.
- SDN Compatibility — For SDN usage, make sure your devices/controllers are either equipped with or can be upgraded to SDN version. SDN controllers work only with SDN Gateways, Access Points & Switches. Non-SDN controllers work only with non-SDN APs. For devices that are compatible with SDN firmware, please visit TP-Link website.
- Abundant Security Features — Advanced firewall policies, DoS defense, IP/MAC/URL filtering, speed test and more security functions protect your network and data.
- Highly Secure VPN — Supports up to 20× LAN-to-LAN IPsec, 16× OpenVPN, 16× L2TP, and 16× PPTP VPN connections.
- Limited Lifetime Protection — Backed by our industry-leading limited lifetime protection and free 24/7 technical support, you can work with confidence.
TP-Link is well known for manufacturing value-for-money networking devices. The TL-R605 is the successor of the successful TL-R600VPN Safestream model which has been in the market for many years.
This model is classified as SDN Router which is part of the Omada cloud SDN offering from TP-Link. Although it can be managed and work as a standalone device, the main purpose of this router is to work as part of the SDN Omada cloud
Pros & Cons
- PERFECT FOR BUSINESSES: High-speed Ethernet connectivity with up to 900-Mbps TCP throughput for faster downloads
- SECURITY: Robust and secure VPN: secure interconnectivity, including standard IPsec, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) over IPsec, and Cisco IPsec
- CONNECTIVITY: 16 ports of Gigabit for high-performance connectivity
- CONNECTIVITY: Dual WAN support allows multiple Internet connections for load balancing and failover
- PORT COUNT: 2 USB ports to support a 3G/4G modem or flash drive
- PEACE OF MIND: Limited-lifetime warranty, one-year technical support, and free software fixes for the term of the warranty
When it comes to network routers for small or large business networks, Cisco is my favorite brand.
Many would agree with me, I hope. Now, I have my reasons for liking Cisco as a networking brand. Each and every product of this brand carries a signature feature that makes our lives easier.
Take the RV345 for example. One of the reasons I have chosen this model as an excellent choice for small business networks is that you will get 16 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports with the device to work with. Add two WAN ports with them and you’ll open up a wide array of possibilities.
Pros & Cons
- Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Up to 50 IPsec tunnels (for site to site and client to site VPN) and 5 OpenVPN tunnels for iOS and Android users
- 900 Mbps firewall and 110 Mbps IPsec throughputs
- Feature rich to meet a wide range of business network requirements
- Operating Temperature: 0ºC to 40ºC (32ºF to 104ºF). Non operating Temperature: 0ºC to 70ºC (32ºF to 158ºF)
Linksys is another networking giant. Being part of Cisco and then acquired by Belkin, Linksys manufactures solid wired and wireless devices.
I have ranked this Linksys model as the best option in this list for VPN connectivity.
Many people use this router as home or small-business main router in order to connect remotely into the local network via VPN tunnels. It even supports OpenVPN for smartphone devices (iOS and Android).
6.D-Link VPN Router
Pros & Cons
- High speed router with integrated VPN tunnel support for secure remote network access
- (8) Gigabit LAN Ports plus (1) Gigabit WAN Port; 20,000 Concurrent Sessions
- Policy based service management allows for easy configuration of firewall rules
- Supports (5) SSL VPN tunnels and (10) Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) tunnels
- Simultaneously supports up to (25) IPsec VPN tunnels plus (25) additional PPTP/L2TP tunnels
- D Link Green Ethernet features save power and help cut energy costs
- Dynamic Web Content Filtering enables the administrator to allow or block access to web sites
D-Link mainly manufactures SOHO routing devices but they have also some notable options for business networks as well.
The DSR 250 features one WAN Gigabit port and eight LAN Gigabit ports, so you have plenty of LAN ports for wired connections.
I was pleasantly surprised to know I could run at least 20,000 concurrent network sessions using this small device. This is important in a business network with multiple people using the Internet at once.
Pros & Cons
- Ethernet port configuration 8 Gigabit RJ-45 ports provide high-speed network connections to devices and a 16Gbps switching capacity allows data traffic to flow smoothly reducing traffic bottlenecks
- Desktop design with a compact and lightweight metal housing design this Ethernet Switch is well-suited for desktop installations Its fanless design is perfect for quiet environments that require silent operation
- Energy savings The 8-Port Gigabit GREENnet switch model TEG-S82G Provides high bandwidth performance ease of use and reliability All while reducing power consumption by up to 70% GREENnet technology automatically adjusts power consumption as needed resulting in substantial energy savings Embedded GREENnet technology works right out of the box with no management requirement
- Mounting options wall mountable
- Plug-and-play easy setup simply power up the switch and plug in connected devices
- Low-noise operation fanless design lowers energy consumption and eliminates operating noise
- TRENDnet Lifetime protection lifetime TRENDnet manufacturer
Though lacking any noteworthy bells and whistles, this is an excellent choice for a simple home or small business network. It has a single dedicated WAN connection and four 10/100Mbps half/full duplex LAN ports.
This pick isn’t ideal if you want to connect five or more computers together, but otherwise it’s a great choice as the firewall and network management tools included by TRENDnet are powerful and easy to use, so you don’t need a lot of networking experience to effectively set up this router. These tools include features like virtual server and DMZ support, along with web URL filtering and a firewall.
Best Ethernet Router – While wireless routers have become more affordable and popular in many network setups, they’re not always necessary or ideal for every situation. A wired router provides connectivity for multiple computers on a local area network (LAN) and gives them access to a wide area network (WAN) such as the Internet.
Ethernet cables are typically used for these connections and most modern wired routers support 10/100 Mbps connections for optimal data transfer speeds. These devices often have different numbers of ports for setting up a network, so consider how many systems you want connected on your LAN before making a purchase.