Best Gaming Cable Modem Router – Thankfully, these gaming routers are the perfect solution. Whether you’re playing on a PC or one of the newest consoles, you need something that can cater to your online needs. And, one of these will more than fit the bill, whether you’re in the middle of a heated battle or trying to speed up the download process for one of the best PC games you just bought on Steam.
You need a gaming router as part of your setup if you play any games online. So, we gathered the best of them on this list where you’ll find everything from ones packed with gamer-centric features to ones with cutting edge tech like Wi-Fi 6. Take a look and take your pick.
- JD Power Award- Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Wi-Fi Router Made for Gamers: Leading edge 1.8 GHz 64 bit Quad-core CPU and 1G RAM accelerates loading
- 8 Gigabit LAN ports and 1 Gigabit WAN port, with Link Aggregation, you can team two ports to double connection speed
- AC5400 Tri-band Wi-Fi over one 2.4 GHz (1000Mbps) and two 5 GHz bands (2167Mbps), dedicate one band to gaming traffic.
- MU-MIMO and AirTime Fairness maximize total throughput and response rates.
- Range boost strengthens reception and Beamforming sends targeted Wi-Fi to keep devices connected at farther distances than other wireless internet routers
- Advanced security: Protect your network and connected devices with a free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare featuring next-level antivirus, robust parental controls, and QoS.
- Dynamic optimization prioritizes traffic to eradicate latency
If you’re looking for the best router for gaming, look no further than the TP-Link Archer C5400 v2. An update to an already powerful wireless router, this device from TP-Link is capable of ridiculous top speeds of more than 2 Gbps. On top of that blazing fast speed, its tri-band connection allows you to do multiple high data activities at once. Play your game without lag and watch a 4K video at the same time without interruption.
A 1.4GHz dual-core CPU and three co-processors help to manage and prioritize traffic so you’ll never experience hang-ups even when multiple people are connected to the internet at the same time. If you’re worried about security, this router allows you to set up your own personal VPN to stay safe and connected. With a two-year warranty, you’ll get constant support for any problem that you may encounter.
- High Speed WiFi 6 Interent Router: AX6000 Dual Band Wi-Fi speed boosted by 1024QAM deliver wireless speed up to 5952 Mbps: 4804 Mbps (5GHz) and 1148 Mbps (2.4GHz)
- Highly efficient: OFDMA increases average throughput by 4x in high density scenarios, compared with an 802.11ac standard wireless internet router; More devices can use Wi-Fi at the same time
- Long Range WiFi Coverage: 8 high-gain external antennas deliver a strong Wi-Fi signal throughout your home. BSS colour technology ensures smooth and stable connections by eliminate signal interference probably from your neighbours, while Beamforming and Range Boost deliver stronger and far-reaching network
- Powerful Processing: 1.8 GHz Quad Core CPU and 2 co-processors eradicate latency and deliver stable Performance
- Ultra-Connectivity: 1 × 2.5Gbps WAN port, 8 × Gigabit LAN ports, and 2 × USB 3.0 in Type A and Type C
- Advanced security with TP-Link HomeCare: Protect your network and connected devices with a free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare featuring Next-level Antivirus, Robust Parental Controls, and QoS*
- OneMesh Compatible: Simply form a Mesh network with a single Wi-Fi name for seamless whole-home coverage. Just connect a OneMesh range extender to a OneMesh router. No more searching around for a stable connection.
- Works with all internet service providers, such as Comcast, Charter, AT&T, Verizon, Xfinity, Spectrum, RCN, Cox, CenturyLink, Frontier, etc.( a modem is required for most internet service providers)
If you’re after a fast connection, but don’t want to break the bank to get it, the Asus RT-AX86U is the device for you. This gaming router provides top speeds of up to 2700 Mbps. On top of that, it also supports the latest connection standard, WiFi 6. This will help the router handle multiple connections at once, meaning that having other people in your home who are connected to the internet won’t slow you down.
While some gamers prefer their game systems to be hardwired for a more consistent connection, this router provides about as steady a connection as you could ask for out of a wireless network. With Asus AiMesh support, you can create a flexible and seamless connection across your entire house by adding other AiMesh compatible routers.
3.NETGEAR Nighthawk Pro
- DumaOS 3.0 is built especially for gamers, reducing ping rates up to 93% while enjoying faster, lag-free online gaming and smoother streaming.
- Fast WiFi 6 AX5400 Dual-Band speed provides coverage up to 2500 sq.ft. and 25 devices simultaneously
- Brings unbelievable speed and lower latency to your PS5 by leveraging all the benefits of WiFi 6 so you can always beat the competition.
- Compatible with any wired Ethernet or wireless gaming device including PCs, Xbox, PlayStation, and Nintendo Switch consoles.
- Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
If there is one thing that will make a gamer want to pull out their hair, it’s lag. The Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500 does everything to make sure those little blips and slowdowns never get in the way again. With DumasOS 3.0, an operating system built for this gaming router, this device is capable of reducing ping rates by 93 percent, producing a nearly lag-free online gaming experience.
On top of that, this router supports WiFi 6, the latest wireless standard. With dual-band connections, you’ll be able to get top speeds even with other devices connected to this router. And if you’re worried about security, this router had guest access Wi-Fi, the ability to create a personal VPN and built-in antivirus and anti-malware protection.
Gamers know that a steady connection is an absolute must when it comes to online gaming, which is why many choose to stay hardwired instead of going wireless. If you decide to go that route, you’ll have a hard time finding a better modem for gaming than the Motorola MB8600. There’s not a lot of flash to be found here, just a steady connection with fast speeds that few can match.
This modem has built-in compatibility for DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0, meaning it works with basically any internet provider. You’ll also get incredibly fast top speeds, with multi-gigabit support. That means you can connect multiple devices via Ethernet and still get top speeds without any slowdown. If you do decide to go wireless, this modem supports most protocols, but you’ll be hard-pressed to beat the wired connection it provides.
5.ASUS ROG Rapture
Gamers love power, and there is no shortage of it with the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AC5300. This router is basically unmatched when it comes to its capabilities. With its tri-band connection, you’ll get top speeds even with multiple devices connected at the same time.
On top of great speeds, Asus has gone all out to provide additional features that will help gamers get the most out of their experience. You can create your own VPN and enjoy the built-in protection of Game IPS, an antivirus tool that will prevent interruptions to your gaming sessions. Plus, you can get an optimized connection with the ROG Game Dashboard, which gives you full control over your network.
The CenturyLink Prism TV Technicolor modem is one of the only few options out there, which also comes with Wi-Fi support. With this modem, you get the support for both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz wireless networks. Although this also limits its maximum speed to just 300Mbps, which is a bit low for many users.
As for its DOCSIS version, it uses the older DOCSIS 3.0, which is to be expected with a Wi-Fi modem. This is combined with 16 upstream and 4 downstream channels, which is decent if not the best. Thankfully, CenturyLink offers a 1-year warranty, which you would not expect from a smaller brand like this one.
7.ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
The Arris Surfboard SB6190 modem is another great option if you are looking for a high-performance mode. When compared with most other modems, this one offers a slightly higher maximum speed rating of 1.4Gbps.
You also get a total of 32 downstream channels and 8 downstream channels with this modem, which is quite good for stability and performance. Although, it uses the slightly older DOCSIS 3.0 version instead of the 3.1. Even though Arris is a smaller brand of models, it still offers a 2-year long warranty for your peace of mind.
Best Gaming Cable Modem Router – In choosing the best modem router combos, we’ve aimed to provide a range of different options that cover a variety of common needs. This includes high speeds, ethernet ports, dual-band frequencies, and more.
Additionally, we’ve also taken budgets into account, detailing modem router combos that are excellent value for money as well as high-end picks for those that want to splurge on a top-tier internet connection.