Best Gaming Modem for Xfinity – Although streaming services like Stadia, Playstation Now and Xbox Game Pass are becoming increasingly more feasible options for playing your favorite games on a budget, you’ll still need a great modem to provide you with decent performance.
When shopping for a modem, there are a number of key factors to keep in mind. Naturally, you should first and foremost consider the features and capabilities that most matter to you. Beyond this, factors such as the download and upload speeds offered by your internet service provider, the space you’re working with, and your ideal budget should each play a role in your purchasing decisions.
1.NETGEAR Nighthawk CM2000
- BUILT FOR FASTEST MULTI-GIG SPEEDS: Best for cable provider plans up to 2.5Gbps
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, COX and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, ATandT, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- WORKS WITH ANY WIFI ROUTER, BEST WITH WIFI 6: Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices. For the fastest Internet, connect to a NETGEAR WiFi 6 router or Orbi Mesh system.
- MULTI-GIG ETHERNET: 1 x 2.5Gbps Ethernet port for the fastest, true multi-gig Internet connections.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Replaces your cable modem saving you up to dollar 168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: Engineered with DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 channel bonding and OFDM(A) 2x2.
If you’re seeking the best gaming modem money can buy, we wholeheartedly recommend the NETGEAR Nighthawk CM2000.
Part of the Nighthawk lineup (which we’ve tested extensively), this modern modem provides sky-high speeds up to 2,500 Mbps after a quick plug-and-play setup. It syncs perfectly with all major cable internet providers — including Comcast, Cox, and Spectrum — to receive and deliver fast, consistent internet for casual and competitive gaming. Hook it up to your router of choice via Ethernet, and you’ve got the perfect foundation for serious online play.
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable modem only (no WiFi router)
- Experience high speed Wi Fi speeds from your existing ISP plans upto 250 Mbps. Ideal for HD media streaming, simultaneous online gaming, web surfing and more
- Features Intel Puma 6 chipset to achieve high speed downstream and upstream performance
- Able to handle high bandwidth transfer rates over your existing cable lines
Next up is a respectable budget option from Linksys. This particular unit won’t provide fiber-level speeds, but you’re also not paying for that kind of support. Coming in just over , it’s a smart entry-level option for the more casual gamer.
In terms of tech, the CM3016 offers DOCSIS 3.0, 16 downstream channels, and 4 upstream channels. Together with the integrated Intel Puma 6 chipset, this modem can support speeds up to 680 Mbps with surprising stability. Use it alongside your current cable internet to improve speeds and performance, or pair it up with a new provider for a total transformation. Either way, it’ll save you the modem rental fee, meaning it pays for itself within a year of service!
- COMPATIBLE WITH MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, and more. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 6Gbps
- FAST WIFI 6 PERFORMANCE: Up to 3,000 sq. ft. wireless coverage with dual-band WiFi 6 (AX6000) speed (up to 6Gbps)
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: One 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 3.0 port give fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: DOCSIS 3.1 and 32x8 channel bonding
If you prefer simplicity and want to kill two birds with one stone, the Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 is the best modem router combo for gaming on the market.
Not only is the CAX80 a modem and router in one, but it’s also one of the fastest options available, with speeds up to 6000 Mbps via dual-band coverage. Hook it up straight to your PC or console for best performance, or sync to it over WiFi 6 for untethered gaming from anywhere in the house.
4.TP-Link 16×4 AC1750
- Tp-link Archer Cr700 Ieee 802.11ac Cable Modem/wireless Router - 2.40 Ghz Ism Band - 5 Ghz Unii Band - 6 X Antenna(6 X Internal - 1750 Mbit/s Wireless Speed - 4 X Network Port - Usb - Gigabit Ethernet - Yes Desktop
Choose the TP-Link Archer CR700 to never miss another in-game shot due to lag or packet loss.
This modem advertises maximum speeds up to 1750 Mbps across WiFi, with a more realistic maximum of 680 Mbps download speeds and everyday speeds closer to half of that. This is plenty for most gaming households and comes courtesy of the Archer’s 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels. It’s not as fast as some of the others on our list, but you can’t beat a budget 2-in-1.
- Ultra-fast DOCSIS 3.1 performance - Delivers true Gigabit-plus speeds. Supports fast internet plans with Comcast Xfinity, Cox, and Spectrum. Backward compatible with 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0.
- Pairs with any WiFi router - Seamlessly compatible with any WiFi router to connect all your devices. This cable modem does NOT have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Multi-gigabit Ethernet speed - A 2.5 GB Ethernet port delivers true high-speed connectivity to even the fastest routers and computers, providing downstream speeds just below 2,500 Mbps and upstream speeds up to 800 Mbps when supported by your internet service plan.
- Fast streaming, conferencing, gaming - Applies Active Queue Management (AQM) for reduced Internet latency and better app performance, including online gaming, conferencing, and streaming.
- Extreme cost savings - Owning your own modem typically saves the home $168 per year in monthly rental charges. (Savings described is for Comcast Xfinity and vary by service provider.)
- Built for reliability - Motorola is a worldwide leader in technology people depend on. Comes with a 2-year warranty and free support from our team of USA technicians.
You probably know Motorola for their entry-level smartphones. But did you know that they also manufacture a line of advanced modems?
The Motorola MB8611 is a DOCSIS 3.1 modem that can tackle all of your gaming needs, no problem. It sports DOCSIS 3.1 technology combined with a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port to provide your entire house with lightning-fast connection speeds (router sold separately, however). It works alongside every major cable provider and is ideal for plan packages over 1 Gbps.
6.ASUS Modem Router Combo
- Ditch the monthly cable modem rental fees save upto $120 per year
- Certified by comcast xfinity, spectrum (legacy time warner cable and charter) and cox
- All in one docsis 3.0 32x8 cable modem + ac2600 wifi router (4x4) provides full bandwidth internet access and expansive wireless coverage
- Stay connected with 4x gigabit ethernet and 2x USB 2.0 ports for your non wifi devices like external storage and printers including support for Apple time machine
- Perfect for streaming and gaming in hd, dual bands (2.4ghz / 5ghz) featuring the latest 802.11ac 32x8 channel bonding technology deliver upto 1.3 gbps download speeds; Ac input : 110v to 240v(50 to 60hz); Dc output : 19 v with max; 3.42 a current
As you might’ve guessed by the name, the ASUS Modem Router Combo offers a one-two punch – it works as a modem to secure internet from your provider, and it beams it out over dual-band 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies. The end result is fantastic performance across gaming and entertainment streaming (including HD and 4K).
Although the modem uses DOCSIS 3.0 and not 3.1, it does come with the maximum number of channels. This should secure you up to 1.3 Gbps download speeds, which means it’s capable of fiber-level internet delivery.
7.ARRIS Surfboard S33
- MULTI-GIG NETWORKING: The SURFboard S33 features a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port plus an additional 1 Gbps Ethernet port for a 2nd network
- Cable internet service required. Does NOT include Wi-Fi and does not support cable digital voice service.
- DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem approved for cable internet speed plans up to 1.2 Gbps
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3.0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
- Connects to any existing Wi-Fi router for blazing-fast internet.
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others.ice.
- Stop renting your modem and save on monthly modem rental fees!
- Sleek new, modern design fits nicely into home or office
- Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
The ARRIS Surfboard S33 features DOCSIS 3.1 alongside 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels. This technology combines with ARRIS’s proprietary modem infrastructure to deliver zippy speeds throughout the entire house!
What’s more, the ARRIS is the only 3.1 gaming modem on this list to feature two Ethernet ports — one 2.5 Gbps and one 1.0 Gbps. This allows you to create two separate networks in your home, so you can have a dedicated gaming line for uninterrupted action (you’ll need to contact your cable provider to set this up, however).
Best Gaming Modem for Xfinity – If you’re an online gamer who takes your hobby seriously, then you’ve probably long since recognized the importance of having a good modem, with solid internet connections becoming increasingly more important even if you prefer single-player gaming.