Best Gateway Modem – Most modern modem routers use 2 kinds of broadcast frequencies: 2.4GHz and 5GHz. The difference between these two frequencies is their range and bandwidth. Specifically, each channel makes a trade-off between the two.
Generally, lower frequencies have less bandwidth and a wider range while higher frequencies have higher bandwidth and less range. This tradeoff is simply due to how information is encoded in wireless signals. Wireless signals encode information in the pattern of electromagnetic waves that they produce.
- Integrated cable modem and WiFi 6 satellite system provides high-performance WiFi coverage for up to 5,000 sq. ft. and 40+ devices. Expand coverage by 2,500 sq. ft. with each optional Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 satellite (sold separately)
- DOCSIS 3.1 modem supports internet plans up to 4Gbps and is compatible with most cable service providers. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps), Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers are subject to change over time
- Fast AX4200 Gigabit speed with WiFi 6 technology for uninterrupted streaming, HD video gaming, and web conferencing
- Save up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees
- Sets up in minutes with the Orbi App; easily manage WiFi settings, test internet speed, and monitor data usage
The future is now, friends. The NETGEAR Orbi CBK752 supports unbelievably fast internet speeds with the latest DOCSIS and Wi-Fi technology.
You’ll even get a satellite extender included with this device, so your Wi-Fi coverage will reach 5,000 square feet—and you can add on more satellites if your home is bigger than that.
But with the high price tag, don’t go for this one unless you have gigabit internet or plan to have it soon. Most homes won’t need this sort of technological overkill. Still, if that’s your jam, you’re looking at your new best friend.
2.ARRIS SURFboard SBG7600AC2
- DOCSIS Cable Modem, AC2350 dual-band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others. Cable internet service required. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers.
- 32 downstream & 8 upstream channels. Best for cable internet speed plans up to 800 Mbps.
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app
This ARRIS SURFboard doesn’t have fancy DOCSIS 3.1 technology like the NETGEAR Nighthawk C7800, but it will still support most cable internet speed—and at half the cost. ARRIS sweetens the deal with McAfee Secure Whole Home Internet so you don’t have to stress about viruses.
Just because you’re shelling out for fast internet doesn’t mean you have to empty your pockets for a cable modem with Wi-Fi too. Think of this modem/router as a cheaper gig solution that might not be relevant forever but will certainly last long enough to save you from leasing a device from your ISP.
- Coverage up to 1,800 sq. ft. for up to 30 devices with AC1900 speed (up to 1900Mbps)
- Replaces your cable modem and Wi-Fi router, saving you up to Dollar 168/year in equipment rental fees
- Speeds by carrier: Xfinity (up to 800Mbps), Cox (up to 500Mbps), Spectrum (up to 400Mbps)
- Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and more with 4 x 1G Ethernet ports
- Share a storage drive with any connected device using the 2.0 USB port
Like most NETGEAR Nighthawks, the C7000 is a slick piece of machinery. Thanks to its 24 download channels, it runs smooth and fast for all your streaming and gaming needs. And that textured grate on the exterior adds an extra bit of panache.
Grab this combo box to get up to 400 Mbps of unhindered internet access—and look cool while doing it.
- 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1900 Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) WiFi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, a firewall DFS, Power Boost, and more. This product is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 375 Mbps. A Broadcom cable modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks. WiFi performance is exceptionally good, even in multi-dwelling units with lots of WiFi noise from neighbors. DFS and Power Boost are key
- Requires cable Internet service. Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable, Suddenlink, WOW., CableOne and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable modem rental fees up to 156 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by cable service provider. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others. Model MG7550 has no phone jack.)
- Built-in high-speed Wi-Fi router with AC1900 Wi-Fi, and Power Boost, and DFS provides Internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, game stations, HDTVs, Amazon Echo, Google Home, Chromecast, Roku, Amazon Fire TV, and AppleTV. Four 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers, HDTVs, game stations, streaming TV devices, and other Ethernet-capable devices.
- Wireless Power Boost adds high-performance WiFi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant boost in speed and range. The router can work on WiFi DFS frequencies, unlike most routers, so it is much less vulnerable to WiFi interference from neighbors. In addition, AnyBeam beamforming at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range.
- Integrating the cable modem and router creates a reliable connection that reduces unwieldy wiring and power adapter clutter while conserving desk space. The vertical design minimizes shelf space and improves cooling while looking great in any home or office. A two-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
This Motorola model is an excellent choice for speeds up to 375 Mbps. Unless there’s a major sale going on, it’s usually more affordable than the other options above. The only drawback is that it doesn’t have a USB port, which is a bummer if you need to connect a printer or add extra storage.
Go for this internet modem if you have the matching speed with your internet plan and don’t have a ton of devices running at once. While sixteen download channels should be enough for most households, you may want to go for something stronger if you’re trying to run an entire smart home on it.
- Compatible with Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, CableONE & more; Double firewall protection (SPI and NAT firewall)
- Three in one DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem + N300 WiFi Router+ 2 Gigabit Wired Switch. ELIMINTE MONTHLY CABLE MODEM RENTAL FEES Up to $156 per year
- DOCSIS 3.0 unleashes 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- NETGEAR Genie App Content filtering Parental Controls allow you to manage your network from anywhere
- Note check your cable internet service provider web site for data speed tier compatibility. Ieee 802.11 b/g/n 2.4 GHz. Not compatible with cable bundled voice services
This DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem router device comes in handy if you’re streaming in HD and gaming daily. You can use it with cable internet plans of up to 2 Gbps and it has up to 6 Gbps WiFi speeds, while the maximum download speed is up to 1000 Mbps.
The 3 antennas and amplifiers boost the signal throughout the entire house. It is compatible with Xfinity, by Comcast, Spectrum, and COX. It covers up to 3000 square feet of your home.
- Model MB7621 is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 650 Mbps. Wirecutter rates this “the best modem for most people.” A Full-Band Capture Digital Tuner ensures faster, more reliable Internet.
- This cable modem's 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to a WiFi router, computer, HDTV, game station, or streaming video device. Great for use with Whole Home WiFi or Mesh networks like eero, Google WiFi, and Orbi. (This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability. The Motorola MG7315, MG7540, MG7550, and MG7700 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service.Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable, BrightHouse, CableOne, SuddenLink, RCN, and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable modem rental fees up to 156 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by cable service provider. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others. Model MB7621 has no phone jack.)
- Setup is fast and easy using the quick start guide.
- Attractive, compact design minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office. A 2-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
The Motorola MB7621 is reliable, supports the fastest internet speeds available to the vast majority of Americans, and offers compatibility with just about every non-gigabit plan from every cable internet service provider in the US—including Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (formerly Time Warner, Charter, and Bright House), Cox, Suddenlink, Sparklight/Cable One, and WOW—which gives you flexibility if you move or switch ISPs.
The MB7621 works well for plans up to 600 megabits per second, because it’s a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that can handle 24 downstream channels and eight upstream channels. It also includes a two-year warranty.
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router).Memory: 8 MB NOR flash and 128 MB RAM
- Support Cable Internet Service plans up to 300Mbps. Recommended for all speed tiers up to 500 Mbps. Separate router required for WiFi. 24x8 channel bonding
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. DOCSIS 3.0 unleashes 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- Ideal for streaming 4K UHD content, fastest downloads, and high-speed online gaming
The Netgear CM600 is a 24×8 DOCSIS 3.0 modem that supports the same performance levels as the Motorola MB7621, though it is slightly more expensive.
The biggest downside is that, although the CM600 has positive reviews from owners, it comes with only a one-year warranty, whereas most modems come with a two-year warranty.
Best Gateway Modem – For higher frequencies, there are more waves passing through a given point each second, which means more information can be accessed per unit time. The higher frequency means that the signal is more likely to be absorbed or blocked by the environment, so it has less range.
Lower frequencies, by contrast, transmit information slower, but they are less likely to be absorbed by things in the environment, giving them better range.