Best Hobby Cnc Router – You may also want to check the best desktop CNC or hobbyists and small business ownersThings to keep in mind when we sorted our product to add in the list:Value for Money: Since we are discussing about cheap CNC machines here, we wanted to include the machine that are pocket friendly.Beginner Friendly:
Most of our readers who wish to buy a cheap CNC are usually beginners, hence this was a good factor to include. Ease of assembly: All CNC machines are made up of several tiny parts and all of them need to fit properly and with use, otherwise it can get complicated.
1.BobsCNC Evolution 3
Pros & Cons
- A rigid laser cut 5-Ply Baltic Birch frame with SG20U supported rail system.
- GT2 belt drive on X and Y-axis and Tr8 Acme Rod mounted with an ACME Nut on the Z-axis.
- NEMA 17 Stepper Motors and Home switches on all axes with a Self-Squaring Gantry.
- 3/4” MDF Spoil-board with 1/4-20 threaded inserts and includes the Makita RT0701C Variable Speed Router.
- Designed to use GRBL1.1 firmware on the Arduino Uno with repeatability of 0.002” to 0.004”.
Acquiring this tool is like winning a jackpot. You get a lot of features for its price, making it one of the best CNC routers for small shops. The BobsCNC E3 CNC Router Engraver Kit comes with a powerful CNC machine that can handle some of the heavy-duty gigs you will encounter. Despite its small size, which is suitable for a small shop, this tool is outstanding performance-wise.
The assembly of this tool is not a straightforward one; however, if you have assembled a CNC router before, you’ll find it a breeze. Additionally, you don’t have to worry if you are a newbie as this tool comes with a manual and other tutorials to help you get started.
2.Genmitsu CNC 3018-PRO
Pros & Cons
- New Version: Genmitsu Cnc 3018-Pro Is An Upgraded Version Of 3018. All Components Do Not Need To Be Positioned, Which Greatly Reduces The Difficulty Of Assembly And Improves The Working Accuracy. The Base Height Is Raised To 4Cm For Better Stability. Capable Of Cutting All Types Of Plastics, Soft Aluminum, Woods, Acrylics, Pvcs, And Pcbs, The Genmitsu Can Be Used On A Wide Range Of Projects And Materials
- Upgraded Power Adapter: Ul Approved And Out-Of-The-Box Support For The Drop In 20,000Rpm Spindle, No Need To Modify G-Code To Ramp Up To Full Speed
- Controller Software: The Genmitsu 3018-Pro Uses Grbl, A High-Performance Open-Source Software For Controlling Movement, And Runs On Arduino. Its Dependability And Simplicity Make Grbl An Industry Standard, So There’S No Lack Of Support And Resources Available When You Get Stuck. Includes Carveco Maker Cam Design Software And Candle For Controlling Your Machine And Running Your Gcode Design Files
- Optional Upgraded Parts: Super Size Your 3018 Cnc To A 3040 By Getting A Genmitsu 3040 Y-Axis Extension Kit (B08P2S3Jwp). The 3040 Aluminum Spoilboard (B08Vnlp24C) And 3040 Mdf Spoilboard (B08Wz8Rv3Y) For This Extension Kit Are Also Available To Buy
If you want to talk about versatility, then talk about the Genmitsu CNC 3018. This tool can cut virtually all types of woods, soft aluminum, plastics, acrylics, PVCs, and PCBs, and a wide variety of materials. It comes with an effective engraving depth of 1.8 inches. What’s even enjoyable is that this tool is self-teaching hence allows you to try out your DIY ideas without having to spend necessarily high amounts of money.
The assembly of this tool is not the simplest. Even so, the manufacturer makes up for this by including an instruction guide to help you. It comes in a small size, which increases its portability and suitability for small shops.
3.VEVOR CNC Machine
Pros & Cons
- Premium Quality: CNC 3018 PRO is an upgraded version of 3018 CNC. The components do not need to be positioned, which reduces the difficulty of equipment and improves the work accuracy and stability. The frame and fixed parts are made of aluminum and bakelite. Effective working area: 300 (X) x 180 (Y) x 45 (Z) mm (11.8 "x7.1" x 1.8 ").
- Ease of Use: According to the instructions, the mini laser engraver is easy to assemble. Supports Windows XP, win7, win8, win10, (32/64 systems. The instructions are in the USB flash drive.
- Convenient Control: Connect to the computer via the USB port and be controlled by GRBL. An offline controller of the CNC router is also included for easy remote control without a computer. Three advantages of the offline controller: 1. No need to connect to a computer; 2. No need to download files. 3. Manually adjust the X, Y, Z-axis position to the starting point of engraving, and manually turn the spindle on or off.
- High Performance: The 3018 pro comes with T8 screw rods driving units, three 42 stepper motors, and a 775 24V spindle motor with the rotational speed of 10000r/min. An extra 5500mw laser engraver is included, with a wavelength of 450 nm, providing much more efficient engraving.
Here’s another CNC router that you should consider for your small shop and home DIY projects. The VEVOR CNC 3018 Pro 500mW CNC Machine has a durable aluminum and bakelite material. Other than its performance, this laser engraver for wood and metal has a good appearance with high precision and durability.
This machine comes with 3 redefined axes that can realize plane engraving, with an effective working area that measures 300(X)x180(Y)x45(Z)mm (11.8″x7.1″x1.8″). The driving units of this router consist of T8 stainless steel screw rods.
Pros & Cons
- ️【2-IN-1 CNC 3018 Pro】 - Designed for the absolute beginner, this machine is a great tool for starting CNC learning. It come with the spindle motor and 5.5W module on Z axis. If you use the spindle, please remove the module.
- ️【Offline Controller】- The offline controller is 1G Capacity. You can control the CNC router without connecting to the computer. The CNC router can be placed wherever you want, such as garage and workshop.
- ️【New Control Board】- Integrated driver chip + fixed heat sink + external fan + sturdy casing to extend the life of the control board, Self-contained short circuit protection, Not easy to damage. 12 Months Warranty.
- ️【Versatile】- Capable of cutting all types of plastics, woods, acrylics(Only suitable for spindle milling cutter engraving), PVCs, and PCBs, the MYSWEETY can be used on a wide range of projects and materials.
- ️【Simple Assembly】- Assembly instructions are provided, but if you get stuck, contact us with any questions that arise. Thank you!
The MYSWEETY makes a great CNC router for your home or small shop, thanks to the flexibility that you get when handling light-duty projects. Setting up this tool is a simple one and very easy to use as well.
One of the features that you will find impressive about this tool is that it is loaded with a GRBL-based control and support system that you can integrate with Windows operating systems such as XP, Win 7, 8, and 10. Additionally, this tool can work with software like PCB processing and Toolpath Creation; however, you’ll have to buy them separately.
5.SainSmart Genmitsu CNC
Pros & Cons
- Class leading values got even easier to use. Pre-assembled and no fuss with assembly taking less than 30 minutes out of the box. An entry-level CNC for anyone who wants to learn a new skill, work on an artwork project, design a DIY gift, or start a small business.
- Still based on open-source Grbl v1.1 the PROVer has stepped up to more powerful but silent Toshiba TB6S109 drivers with added life and performance along with added Optocouplers to protect your mainboard from hard stops without risk of damage and eliminate signal noise for more consistent projects and longevity.
- Make more with the all-aluminum body and take advantage of the added stability for milling a wider range of materials while also making clean up even easier with acrylic safety baffles to help contain dust and provide a safety barrier.
- Take control of your 3018-PROVer Desktop CNC machine with controls at your fingertips. The 1.8” display will clearly display readouts and provide manual control of your mill without any computer. If a project gets out of hand the PROVer has an emergency stop control that is very visible and easy to access for immediate shutdown of your machine.
- CAD/CAM software to design then convert your ideas into instructions (GCode) that the router can understand and execute (common options are Carveco, Fusion360 and Easel). If you get stuck, check out the SainSmart Resource Center (see at User Guide) or contact us with any questions that arise.
The MX3 is not the first Genmitsu product I’m reviewing in my list of the best CNC router for small shops, and you can attribute that to the top performance that you get from this brand.
The Genmitsu 3018-PROVer is the successor of the first version, the 3018-PRO, and it comes with so much improvement on many parts of the previous version. This machine comes with an improved design as well as safety features. Additionally, there’s the pre-assembly, upgraded mainboard, and many more.
6.Upgrade Version 2
Pros & Cons
- 【Update CNC 3018PRO】2-in-1 CNC 3018-PRO with 3000mW Module is an upgraded version of 3018. Integrated Driver Chip + Fixed Heat Sink + External Fan + Sturdy Casing to extend the life of the control board, Self-contained short circuit protection, Not easy to damage.(:Provide technical support,electronic software/manual)
- 【CNC Engraving】 With an effective engraving area of 300 x 180 x 45 mm, the 3018pro can easily accommodate most projects. Control software: GRBL; Spindle: 775 spindle motor (12-36V) 24V:10000r / min. Supported System: Windows XP / Win 7 / Win 8 / Win 10.
- 【3000MW Head】High precision - focus < 0.1mm, High engraving power and long-term available. Can directly import pictures to lasergrbl for engraving, --Adding a pair of safety goggles protect your eyes from injury.
- 【Offline Controller】 DO NOT need to connect the computer. Manually adjust X, Y, Z axis location as engraving starting point, manually open or close spindle, manully open or close cooling fan. Note: Please don't use the computer and the Offline Controller at the same time, otherwise it will block the communication.
- 【Wide Application】Suitable for carve wood, plastic, acrylic, PCB CCL, soft metal like copper and aluminum and other like materials, but can not carve hard metal, jade and other hard materials.
This CNC router by Mcwdoit will give you all the qualities that you can expect from a router, and above all, it is available for a relatively affordable price. The router has an average size, making it perfect for desktop usage, mainly if you have limited space in your workshop.
One thing you will love about this router is that you can use it offline, all you need to do is to download all of the fundamental files for its operation in a USB and then plug the drive into your offline connection.
7.3 Axis USB DIY
Pros & Cons
- ♞【Upgrade Version 3018 Pro】Mini CNC machine small size, light weight, USB interface, GRBL control systems, great cnc router machine for beginers; The CNC3018 PRO machine is very easy to install,stable structure.
- ♞【Working area】 30x18x4.5cm;Frame size: 40x33x24cm;Type:USB Port mini desktop cnc router【Spindle】 775 spindle motor (12-36V) DC24V:10000r/min【Stepper Motor】Nema17 stepper motor,1.3A, phase resistance 2.1 ohms, torque 0.25N.m
- ♞【Upgraded GRBL1.1 Control Board】Added the outer casing,emergency stop button port,tool setting (probe) port,X/Y/Z axis limit port and add the power button switch,and come with the fan port to force heat dissipation,with enhanced spindle drive,can support maximum 20000rpm spindle,and also can support 0.5W-20W module.
- ♞【Main application】Can be engraved plastic, wood, acrylic, pvc, pcb, wood and the like material,also can work on soft metal like copper,brass,aluminum and other similar metal materials, but can not carve hard metal, jade or other very hard texture of the items.
- ♞【GRBL Software】Our parcel include a 4G USB flash drive,it include the installation instructions,user manual and GRBL software;♞【System requirements】 Windows XP SP3,Win 7,Win 8,Win 10 (32/64 can be) Linux; Can't support Apple/Mac product.
If you have been in the woodworking industry for some time now, you are likely aware of the RATTMOTOR; if not, it does not break a bone to tell you that they are a reputable maker of some of them the best CNC Routers on the market today. The 3 Axis CNC 3018 PRO is the perfect DIY tool that you can use in your small woodworking shop, home, backyard, or even in the garage.
It is among the best CNC routers for small shops because it is convenient for home and other small scale uses. Much as it is a small machine, it still does jobs the right way and would meet all your need for a router in DIY projects. You will find it a breeze to make great cuts and carvings on a variety of materials.
Best Hobby Cnc Router – CNC is appropriate for low-to-medium and one-off jobs volume production, because of its high repeatability. Most CNC machines are expensive but here we will be looking at the best cheap CNC machines.
We understand that a lot of our readers are hobbyists woodworkers or beginners who have just fallen in love with woodworking and want to explore this domain but can’t afford the high price of some of the CNC machines.