Best Home Router for Streaming – You’re paying for fast internet so you can watch all of your favorite shows, movies and live streaming events whenever you want — in crystal-clear, high definition.
In order to make the most of your internet connection, you’re going to need a modem and router that is capable of making the most of what you pay for. While your internet service provider might offer you rental equipment, you may not want to be locked into their limited offerings. Instead, get a modem and router that can provide you with the features you need. This guide will help you determine the best modem and router for streaming.
1.NETGEAR (R6900P) – AC1900
Pros & Cons
- Recommended for up to 30 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- Wired Ethernet ports: Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports. Microsoft internet explorer 5.0, Firefox 2.0, Safari 1.4, Google chrome 11.0 browsers or higher
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a dual core 1GHz processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, MU MIMO, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and more
- USB connections: Share a storage drive or printer with any connected device or create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1 x 3.0 USB port
- Smart parental controls: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free; Set online time limits, schedule device internet access, and more for 4.99 dollars /month (1st month free trial)
- NETGEAR Armor protects your network and connected devices from Internet threats; Get peace of mind knowing you have the best in class anti virus, anti malware, and data protection for all your smart devices, smartphones, and computers with a 30 day free trial
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest Wi-Fi access, DOS, Firewall, VPN, and more. Memory:128 MB flash and 256 MB RAM
As anonymity becomes increasingly important when surfing the web today, NETGEAR’s Nighthawk R6900P’s VPN capabilities come in quite handy.
It’s the best router on the list, considering its powerful features: it can connect up to 30 devices and implement intelligent parental controls.
A cool, stealthy design, respectable range, and excellent speeds on the 5GHz band, as well as NAS capability, are just some of the things that are worth liking about the NETGEAR Nighthawk R6900P.
Pros & Cons
- OneMesh Compatible Router- Form a seamless WiFi when work with TP-Link OneMesh WiFi Extenders
- Router for wireless internet, works with Alexa, compatible with all Wi-Fi devices, 802.11ac and older
- Dual band router upgrades to 1750 Mbps high speed internet(450mbps for 2.4GHz, 1300Mbps for 5GHz), reducing buffering and ideal for 4K streaming
- Gigabit Router with 4 Gigabit LAN ports, fast access to multiple connected wired devices, Ideal as a gaming router
- Integrated USB port acts as a media Server, easily share your USB drive content
- TP-Link tether app easily set up and remotely manage your home network
- Works with all internet service providers, such as AT&T, Verizon, Xfinity, Spectrum, RCN, Cox, CenturyLink, Frontier, etc.( a modem is required for most internet service providers)
Sometimes, it’s enough that a router is at least better than the stock router that their internet service provider gives the average user.
A long-time fan favorite, the latest iteration of the TP-Link A7 AC1750 is just that, and probably a little bit more.
Priced to perfection, the TP-Link A7 AC1750 is easy to set up and even easier to manage, all the while boasting plenty of connectivity options, including a USB-A 2.0 port on the back.
3.Google Wifi – AC1200
Pros & Cons
- Google Wifi is a scalable flexible mesh Wifi system that blankets your home in reliable coverage and keeps buffering at bay; 1 Google Wifi point replaces your router and additional points expand your network to keep the connection fast in every room
- Google Wifi gives you whole home coverage; 1 Pack covers up to 1500 square feet and 3 Pack covers up to 4500 square feet; points work together to create a mesh network for more coverage
- Intelligently works behind the scenes to make sure your Wifi remains fast so you can stream with speed
- Simple setup in a few steps; use the Google Home app to create your network and get online in minutes
- Parental controls let you manage screen time, restrict certain kinds of adult content, and pause Wifi to specific devices on your mesh network whenever you want
- Easy to control home Wifi system lets you prioritize devices check your network speeds, set up a guest network, and more
- Works with all Google Wifi points and can be added to any existing Nest Wifi system; just add more points if you need more coverage
- Sustainably designed; 49% of the plastic part weight is made with recycled material (2020 model)
- Please refer to the product description section below for all applicable legal disclaimers denoted by the bracketed numbers in the preceding bullet points (e.g. , , etc.)
The quintessential WiFi mesh router system, the Google WiFi blends excellent coverage and ease-of-use perfectly.
If you want consistent WiFi coverage throughout your house, whether it be in your bathroom, or your garage, or when you’re outside relaxing on your front porch, the Google WiFi mesh router system is a catch-all solution for the typical average user’s range problem, especially in larger homes with a limited number of people streaming.
Pros & Cons
- Wireless AC, up to 4.3x faster than N technology: Simultaneous dual band speed up to 600 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + 1300 Mbps (5 GHz) for media intensive applications
- 4 high performance antennas: Engineered to enhance dual band communication, four external, adjustable antennas ensure supreme Wi Fi signal strength in multilevel homes and small offices
- Dual Core 1.6 GHz CPU: Powerful CPU promotes simultaneous high speed data processing allowing multiple users to simultaneously game online, stream movies, and transfer files without lagging
- Share content via an external storage device with ultra fast data transfer speeds. USB 3.0 delivers enhanced performance over USB 2.0; eSATA delivers optimal data transfer speeds from external SATA drives and accommodates USB 2.0
- Users can prioritize devices or websites, gain parental control over content, monitor network activity, turn Wi Fi access on or off and create select password protected guest networks. Network Map offers a visual map of the home network
- Open Source Ready: Users gain unprecedented access to customize the router
- Package includes: Linksys WRT1900AC Router, 4 external, dual band detachable antennas, Quick Start Guide, CD ROM with Documentation, Ethernet Cable, Power Adapter and Power Cord
- Processor: Dual Core 1.6 GHz ARM based. Power Supply: Input: 100-240V
Once you go into the enthusiast range of the router market, you start to get bombarded with all of these buzzwords and features that, quite frankly, you probably won’t be able to make use of, either because you don’t know how or the routers just aren’t user-friendly enough.
The Linksys WRT1900ACS presents itself as the best router for those looking into a feature-packed router that can be tweaked and experimented on with relative ease.
Pros & Cons
- Dual band AC1300 with the latest 2x2 MU MIMO technology for combined speeds of up to 1267 Mbps
- 4 external 5dBi antennas for improved Wi Fi range and multi device performance; Connected devices must be 802.11ac compatible for best results
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App
- Effortless router setup with the ASUSWRT web based interface, Super Fast Wi Fi: Dual band 802.11ac Wi Fi with concurrent speeds up to 867Mbps (5GHz) and 400Mbps (2.4GHz)
- Integrated USB 3.0 port allows you to share external drives/flash drives with your network; OS Support Windows 10, 8, 8.1, 7, Mac OS X 10.1, 10.4, 10.5, 10.6, 10.7, 10.8; Operation mode Wireless router mode, Access point mode
- Encryption: 64 bit WEP, 128 bit WEP, WPA2 PSK, WPA PSK, WPA Enterprise , WPS support
Considering that the ASUS AC1300 is supposed to be an entry-level router, it comes with a nifty seat of features, modern-ish aesthetics, and just as good of wireless performance 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz radio bands that you can expect in its class.
Sometimes, simple is better, and for those looking for a no-frills router for typical home use, the ASUS AC1300 is an excellent choice for your next best router.
Pros & Cons
- Razer FasTrack - Razer FasTrack allows you to specifically select and prioritize your preferred application and device, ensuring you have top-notch gaming and streaming performance
- Multi-Channel ZeroWait DFS Technology - Experience lag-free gaming and streaming with multi-channel
- Hybrid Wireless Mesh & Dedicated Backhaul - Sila features a dual algorithm Hybrid Wireless Mesh for easy setup and reliable coverage no matter which part of the house you're in
- Self-Optimizing Network & Swarm Intelligence - Self-optimizing network constantly scans traffic on multiple channels to find one that's congestion-free
- Intelligent Active Steering - Intelligent active steering automatically and seamlessly switches between channels, bands and nodes so you're on a consistently fast network
The Razer Sila, a high-performance WiFi router, as with any other gaming peripheral or component created by the California-based gaming hardware company, was built specifically for high-end and demanding users in mind.
Sleek if unassuming, the Razer Sila packs a ton of features into its black chassis.
For starters, it has a 2.4GHz network that can reach speeds of up to 400Mbps and two 5GHz networks that can reach up to rates of up to 1,733Mbps and 866Mbps, respectively.
Pros & Cons
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C6220 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to Dollar 168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- SPEEDS BY CARRIER: Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps), Spectrum (up to 100Mbps).
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1200 sq ft wireless coverage and 20 devices connected with AC1200 speed (up to 1200 Mbps).
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 USB port give you fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices.
You’ll get the benefit of both a high speed modem and router in one package, and it’s compatible with many major internet providers — though you’ll want to check to see if yours is included. This easily qualifies as one of the best modems for watching tv on multiple screens.
This two-in-one device offers some of the best features of top routers and modems. Get support for DOCSIS 3.0 and 32×8 channel bonding, some of the best technology available in modern modems. Plus, you’ll get support for the latest wireless protocols and support for blazing fast speeds, up to 3,200 Mbps. Add that to a wide coverage area of up to 3,000 feet and you’ll be hard-pressed to find a better option to bring high speed internet to your home.
Best Home Router for Streaming – While many assume that the router provided by an internet service provider will do, an upgraded wireless router is the key to unlocking what home internet can really do. Even a modest router upgrade can have a huge effect on a household Wi-Fi experience, coverage and speed.
To help narrow down the search for a new router, we’ve rounded up the best wireless routers available today. These little boxes will revolutionise 4K streaming and online gaming for households small and large. In addition to some pretty hefty options, we’ve also been sure to include affordable options so those with tighter budgets don’t miss out.