Best Home Wired Router – In this article I have researched some great wired router models for both home and small business networks.
In this blog I mostly write about configuring Cisco routers and other networking devices that are usually used in enterprise/corporate environments.
However, the router models you will see in this article have their place in smaller networks and they have capabilities and features that sometimes resemble those of larger enterprise devices.
ROUND UPback to menu ↑
1.Ubiquiti Unifi Security Gateway
- 3 Gigabit Ethernet ports, CLI management for advanced users
- 1 million packets per second for 64-byte packets
Don’t go by the size or look of this wired router model when measuring its mettle on the job.
Ubiquity is a brand known for its excellent networking devices (WiFi access points, ethernet switches, routers etc). The Unifi Security Gateway (USG) is no exception.
As the name suggests, USG runs under the UniFi umbrella and is a great option if you already have other Ubiquity devices in your network (although it works perfectly as standalone device as well).
If you have other Ubiquity devices (access points, switches etc) you can have a centralized management system (Unify Network Controller) which provides a single point of access and management for all devices in your network.back to menu ↑
- Mikrotik hEX S (RB760iGS) is a five port Gigabit Ethernet router for locations where wireless connectivity is not required.
- It comes with a very powerful dual core 880 MHz CPU and 256 MB RAM, capable of all the advanced configurations that RouterOS supports.
MikroTik is a European company (from Latvia) founded in 1996. They managed to become one of the top SOHO router manufacturers with fanatic users worldwide.
Their router devices are based on RouterBOARD hardware running on RouterOS software.
MikroTik is an excellent option for home networks where you don’t need a wireless connection for PCs, laptops, and phones.
hEX S comes with 5 -Gigabit ports with two of them supporting Power over Ethernet (PoE), one of them to power the router itself (PoE in) and one to power other devices (PoE out).back to menu ↑
- Five Gigabit Ports — 1 Gigabit WAN Port + 3 Gigabit WAN/LAN Ports +1 Gigabit LAN Port. Up to four WAN ports optimize bandwidth usage through one device.
- Integrated into Omada SDN — Omada’s Software Defined Networking (SDN) platform integrates network devices including gateways, access points & switches with multiple control options offered – Omada Hardware controller or Omada Software Controller. Standalone mode also applies.
TP-Link is well known for manufacturing value-for-money networking devices. The TL-R605 is the successor of the successful TL-R600VPN Safestream model which has been in the market for many years.
This model is classified as SDN Router which is part of the Omada cloud SDN offering from TP-Link.
Although it can be managed and work as a standalone device, the main purpose of this router is to work as part of the SDN Omada cloud.back to menu ↑
- PERFECT FOR BUSINESSES: High-speed Ethernet connectivity with up to 900-Mbps TCP throughput for faster downloads
- CONNECTIVITY: Robust and secure VPN - secure interconnectivity, including standard IPsec, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) over IPsec, and Cisco IPsec
I have ranked this model as the “Best Overall Option for Small Business” for a good reason.
When it comes to network routers for small or large business networks, Cisco is my favorite brand.
Many would agree with me, I hope. Now, I have my reasons for liking Cisco as a networking brand. Each and every product of this brand carries a signature feature that makes our lives easier.
Take the RV345 for example. One of the reasons I have chosen this model as an excellent choice for small business networks is that you will get 16 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports with the device to work with. Add two WAN ports with them and you’ll open up a wide array of possibilities.back to menu ↑
- Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Up to 50 IPsec tunnels (for site-to-site and client-to-site VPN) and five OpenVPN tunnels for iOS and Android users
Linksys is another networking giant. Being part of Cisco and then acquired by Belkin, Linksys manufactures solid wired and wireless devices.
I have ranked this Linksys model as the best option in this list for VPN connectivity.
Many people use this router as home or small-business main router in order to connect remotely into the local network via VPN tunnels. It even supports OpenVPN for smartphone devices (iOS and Android).
In addition to VPN functionality, it has all the necessary wired router features such as dual-WAN failover and load-balancing support, VLANs, Firewalling, Quality of Service (Qos) and much more.back to menu ↑
- 8 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Simple plug-and-play setup with no software to install or configuration needed
Considered an Amazon bestselling product, the NETGEAR GS-108 wired router is another option that you wouldn’t regret splurging out on. Not only is it the sturdiest, most durable, and best wired routers, but the product is one of the cheapest ones too.
The exterior of the router is constructed with a metal chassis with wall mounting specifications for an easier setup of the device. Also, since the LEDs in the device are on the side, it makes it a lot easier for you to troubleshoot the machine in case it isn’t working optimally.back to menu ↑
7.FORTINET FortiGate 30E
If your main priority with a wired router is to ensure maximum security with the data and the information that your workers are sharing via the business, the Fortinet FortiGate 30E Network Security is hands down your best bet.
Fortnight’s wired router comes with an integrated range of essential security technology that you need for protecting your data and applications. The router is programmed with functions to provide users with end-to-end security functions with unified policy management on their wired connections.back to menu ↑
Best Home Wired Router – In the market of networking devices, you can find both wireless routers (just like the WiFi devices we have in our homes) and wired routers which can be great performers in both small home networks and in business environments as well.