Best Internet Modem for Gaming – A modem-router combo combines the best of both worlds into a single device. Routers with in-built modems allow you to save space in your home or office, and could potentially save money too.
While there’s a larger upfront cost, you don’t have to worry about hardware issues when connecting a separate cable modem and router. Whether or not a combo device is the right choice will largely depend on whether or not you already have the best router for your needs.
1.TP-Link 16×4 AC1750
- Tp-link Archer Cr700 Ieee 802.11ac Cable Modem/wireless Router - 2.40 Ghz Ism Band - 5 Ghz Unii Band - 6 X Antenna(6 X Internal - 1750 Mbit/s Wireless Speed - 4 X Network Port - Usb - Gigabit Ethernet - Yes Desktop
Choose the TP-Link Archer CR700 to never miss another in-game shot due to lag or packet loss.
This modem advertises maximum speeds up to 1750 Mbps across WiFi, with a more realistic maximum of 680 Mbps download speeds and everyday speeds closer to half of that. This is plenty for most gaming households and comes courtesy of the Archer’s 16 downstream and 4 upstream channels. It’s not as fast as some of the others on our list, but you can’t beat a budget 2-in-1.
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable modem only (no WiFi router)
- Experience high speed Wi Fi speeds from your existing ISP plans upto 250 Mbps. Ideal for HD media streaming, simultaneous online gaming, web surfing and more
- Features Intel Puma 6 chipset to achieve high speed downstream and upstream performance
- Able to handle high bandwidth transfer rates over your existing cable lines
Next up is a respectable budget option from Linksys. This particular unit won’t provide fiber-level speeds, but you’re also not paying for that kind of support. Coming in just over $50, it’s a smart entry-level option for the more casual gamer.
In terms of tech, the CM3016 offers DOCSIS 3.0, 16 downstream channels, and 4 upstream channels. Together with the integrated Intel Puma 6 chipset, this modem can support speeds up to 680 Mbps with surprising stability. Use it alongside your current cable internet to improve speeds and performance, or pair it up with a new provider for a total transformation. Either way, it’ll save you the modem rental fee, meaning it pays for itself within a year of service!
3.NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable
- COMPATIBLE WITH MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, and more. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 6Gbps
- FAST WIFI 6 PERFORMANCE: Up to 3,000 sq. ft. wireless coverage with dual-band WiFi 6 (AX6000) speed (up to 6Gbps)
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: One 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 3.0 port give fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: DOCSIS 3.1 and 32x8 channel bonding
Part of the Nighthawk lineup (which we’ve tested extensively), this modern modem provides sky-high speeds up to 2,500 Mbps after a quick plug-and-play setup. It syncs perfectly with all major cable internet providers — including Comcast, Cox, and Spectrum — to receive and deliver fast, consistent internet for casual and competitive gaming. Hook it up to your router of choice via Ethernet, and you’ve got the perfect foundation for serious online play.
To be fair, this router does cost a fair amount. Many of the other options on this list include a built-in router for less money than this model
4.ASUS Modem Router Combo
- Ditch the monthly cable modem rental fees save upto $120 per year
- Certified by comcast xfinity, spectrum (legacy time warner cable and charter) and cox
- All in one docsis 3.0 32x8 cable modem + ac2600 wifi router (4x4) provides full bandwidth internet access and expansive wireless coverage
- Stay connected with 4x gigabit ethernet and 2x USB 2.0 ports for your non wifi devices like external storage and printers including support for Apple time machine
- Perfect for streaming and gaming in hd, dual bands (2.4ghz / 5ghz) featuring the latest 802.11ac 32x8 channel bonding technology deliver upto 1.3 gbps download speeds; Ac input : 110v to 240v(50 to 60hz); Dc output : 19 v with max; 3.42 a current
As you might’ve guessed by the name, the ASUS Modem Router Combo offers a one-two punch – it works as a modem to secure internet from your provider, and it beams it out over dual-band 2.4 and 5Ghz frequencies. The end result is fantastic performance across gaming and entertainment streaming (including HD and 4K).
Although the modem uses DOCSIS 3.0 and not 3.1, it does come with the maximum number of channels. This should secure you up to 1.3 Gbps download speeds, which means it’s capable of fiber-level internet delivery.
5.ARRIS Surfboard S33
- MULTI-GIG NETWORKING: The SURFboard S33 features a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port plus an additional 1 Gbps Ethernet port for a 2nd network
- Cable internet service required. Does NOT include Wi-Fi and does not support cable digital voice service.
- DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem approved for cable internet speed plans up to 1.2 Gbps
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3.0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
- Connects to any existing Wi-Fi router for blazing-fast internet.
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others.ice.
- Stop renting your modem and save on monthly modem rental fees!
- Sleek new, modern design fits nicely into home or office
- Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
The ARRIS Surfboard S33 features DOCSIS 3.1 alongside 32 downstream and 8 upstream channels. This technology combines with ARRIS’s proprietary modem infrastructure to deliver zippy speeds throughout the entire house!
What’s more, the ARRIS is the only 3.1 gaming modem on this list to feature two Ethernet ports — one 2.5 Gbps and one 1.0 Gbps. This allows you to create two separate networks in your home, so you can have a dedicated gaming line for uninterrupted action (you’ll need to contact your cable provider to set this up, however).
6.ASUS AX6000 WiFi 6
- High Efficiency WiFi 6 - Enjoy fast speeds up to 6000 Mbps with WiFi 6 (802.11ax)
- Compact & CableLabs certified cable gateway to ensure the best compatibility of cable internet service.
- Small & Elegant Design with embedded WiFi antenna makes it the smallest DOCSIS 3.1 WiFi 6 cable gateway in retail cable industry.
- 100% Passive Cooling with fan-less design for noise-less experience
- Cost Saving & Future Proof - Stop Paying modem/router rental fees from your cable provider
- This model does not support ASUS Router App and AiMesh
While this means it features incredible speeds up to 6000 Mbps, that’s not particularly special when compared to the other modern modems that can do the same thing. That said, this model does set itself apart from the competition with a few unique twists.
For starters, the CM-AX6000 features a passive cooling fan that keeps the temperature down and the speeds blazing-fast. It also comes with Cablelabs certification, ensuring excellent compatibility among the most popular cable internet providers.
- Replaces both your cable modem and router—saves money (up to 156 dollars per year in equipment rental fees), reduces clutter, and increases WiFi performance—expand your coverage with Orbi satellite extenders (sold separately)
- Cable modem is up to 32X faster internet for smooth uninterrupted connections and max download speeds, (thanks to DOCSIS 3.0 modem with 32 x 8 channel bonding)
- Router eliminates WiFi dead zones and buffering for super-fast, reliable streaming and gaming—room to room, wall to wall, floor to floor—with 2,000 square feet of consistent coverage at speeds up to 2.2 Gbps
- Maintains speed even as more devices use your WiFi at the same time — the difference is tri-band technology, others use dual-band.Powerful Quad-Core 710MHz processor
- 4 Ethernet ports provide a wired connection to your Smart TV, gaming console, and more.Circle Smart Parental Controls–A smart way for families to manage content and time online on any connected device.Maximum wireless signal range derived from IEEE standard 802.11 speciﬁcations
- Simple setup with the Orbi app — create guest network, access parental controls, and run speed tests right from the app
- Compatible with all major Internet Service Providers — Xfinity from Comcast, Spectrum, Cox, and more. Not compatible with Gigabit service. Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Power Adapter: 12V/3.5A
Don’t let the pretty design fool you. The Netgear Orbi packs everything you need to game like a pro, including a built-in modem and mesh router network with speeds up to 4200 Mbps across 5,000 square feet!
How does it perform so well, you ask? The Orbi’s powerhouse performance comes courtesy of the built-in Quad-Core 1.4GHz CPU, which provides a dedicated processor to keep everything running smoothly across the network. The Orbi also features Netgear Armor with Bitdefender, ensuring your network remains safe and secure, free from DDOS attacks and would-be infiltrators.
Best Internet Modem for Gaming – There’s some confusion among our readers over the difference between routers and cable modems, but in short, these products serve different purposes.
A modem connects directly to your cable line and serves as a hub for your internet, while a router plugs directly into your modem and transmits the connection into a wireless signal. A router usually also comes with extra ports so you can hook up many more devices at the same time.