Best Modem for Comcast – But everyone has different internet needs and wants, so what modem you should get depends.
Thus, I have put together this list of the top 7 best Comcast Xfinity modems, so you can pick the one that fits you the best.
Pros & Cons
- Ultra-fast DOCSIS 3.1 performance - Delivers true Gigabit-plus speeds. Supports fast internet plans with Comcast Xfinity, Cox, and Spectrum. Backward compatible with 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0.
- Pairs with any WiFi router - Seamlessly compatible with any WiFi router to connect all your devices. This cable modem does NOT have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Multi-gigabit Ethernet speed - A 2.5 GB Ethernet port delivers true high-speed connectivity to even the fastest routers and computers, providing downstream speeds just below 2,500 Mbps and upstream speeds up to 800 Mbps when supported by your internet service plan.
- Fast streaming, conferencing, gaming - Applies Active Queue Management (AQM) for reduced Internet latency and better app performance, including online gaming, conferencing, and streaming.
- Extreme cost savings - Owning your own modem typically saves the home $168 per year in monthly rental charges. (Savings described is for Comcast Xfinity and vary by service provider.)
- Built for reliability - Motorola is a worldwide leader in technology people depend on. Comes with a 2-year warranty and free support from our team of USA technicians.
This is where the Motorola MB8611 cable modem comes in. It is one of the newest products in the industry and uses the fastest cable modem standard – DOCSIS 3.1. So, along with blazing fast multi-gigabit internet speeds, you get excellent compatibility and a plethora of advanced features.
Before you go out shopping for this advanced modem, you need to know all its specs. Don’t worry, as we are here for you! In today’s post, we’ll review all the basic features of the Motorola MB8611 modem. Let’s begin!
Pros & Cons
- Compatible with Comcast Xfinity, Time Warner Cable, Charter, Cox, Cablevision, and more. Requires Cable Internet Service
- Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router).Memory: 8 MB NOR flash and 128 MB RAM
- Support Cable Internet Service plans up to 300Mbps. Recommended for all speed tiers up to 500 Mbps. Separate router required for WiFi. 24x8 channel bonding
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port. DOCSIS 3.0 unleashes 8x faster download speeds than DOCSIS 2.0
- Ideal for streaming 4K UHD content, fastest downloads, and high-speed online gaming
The Netgear CM600 Cable Modem is not new. I first got it more than two years ago, together with a 300Mbps Internet plan with Comcast.
Before that, I generally replaced my modem almost every year. So CM600 has been one of my most lasting modems. Two years qualify as long-term. Now I can undoubtedly say this is a reliable device.
Pros & Cons
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM500 replaces your cable modem, saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Spectrum (up to 400Mbps), Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps).
- Works with any wifi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate WiFi router.
- Modem technology: Engineered with 16x4 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.0.
The NETGEAR CM500 is a great alternative to the ARRIS SB6183. The two trade blows since they are similarly priced and have similar specs/performance. The Netgear has a superior GUI. While the CM500 has a better warranty– two years as opposed to one. Then again, ARRIS has pretty bad customer service, so you might have tough luck taking advantage of that better warranty.
This modem provides 16 downstream channels and 4 upstream channels, with a maximum download transfer rate of around 680 Mbps and upload rates of 131 Mbps.
4.ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
Pros & Cons
- A Trusted Name in Home Connectivity: Better connectivity, better speed. The ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem is designed to bring you superior connectivity, increase your network capability and provide faster streaming and downloading throughout your home. From a trusted brand with over 260 million modems sold and growing.
- Save Money: Own your modem and save. Reduce your cable bill up to $168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings vary by cable service provider). Certified for use with most U.S. cable internet service providers. For a complete list see additional details below.
- Modem Technology: DOCSIS 3.1 is the newest technology available from cable internet providers. Its 10x faster than DOCSIS 3.0, provides better security, reduces lag while gaming & enables multi-gig networking (ability to run fast speeds on your copper cable from your internet provider).
- Simple and Secure Set-up: Plug-in the device, download the SURFboard Central App, and follow the instructions to activate the modem. Connect to a Wi-Fi router for networking.
- Compatibility: The SURFboard SB8200 is compatible with major U.S. cable internet providers including Cox (Gigablast), Spectrum (Internet Gig), Xfinity (Blast!/Extreme Pro) and others. It's approved for cable internet speed plans up to 1-Gbps. Check your Internet Service Provider (ISP) website to confirm compatibility.
- What's in the Box: When you purchase you will get an ARRIS SURFboard SB8200 Cable Modem, Power Supply, Quick-Start guide, and 2-year warranty card.
- Ethernet Ports: Has two 1-Gigabit ethernet ports to connect to a Wi-Fi router or other wired device.
- Dedicated Customer Support: Live Chat and Phone Support available 8am -1am EST. Product ships with 2-Year Limited Warranty.
New DOCSIS 3.1 tech gives the SB8200 enough power for 2 Gbps speeds.
The SURFboard SB8200 uses newer DOCSIS 3.1 technology to support download speeds up to 2,000 Mbps (or 2 Gbps).3 That’s perfect if you’re rocking Xfinity’s Gigabit internet plan—or if you’re running your home business on its 2,000 Mbps Gigabit Pro plan.
We’ve recommended ARRIS’s SURFboard routers before, so it’s no surprise to us that the SB8200 made it into our top-five lineup.
5.ARRIS Surfboard SB6183-RB
Pros & Cons
- APPROVED with Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse), Cox and more. If not sure call your cable provider to find out if approved to use. REQUIRES Cable Internet Service. Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router). NO support for Cable TELCO options
- Internet speeds up to 686 Mbps on 16 Download Channels and 131 Mbps on 4 Upload Channels, based on your cable ISP subscription. Approved for plans up to 400Mbps. Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or router
- Great for streaming HD Video and gaming on multiple devices at a time
- 90 Day Warranty. ARRIS Certified Refurbished. US Technical support. ARRIS Certified Refurbished products will ALWAYS be branded ARRIS, Never Motorola! If you get Motorola branded product they are illegitimate, need to be returned to Seller and Reported to Amazon
If you want the best DOCSIS 3.0 modem and are confused about various products, then you have come to the right place. ARRIS Surfboard SB6183 is among the best DOCSIS 3.0 modems due to its great reliability and high transfer rates. The modem is priced very nicely as well and costs a lot less than an average DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem.
The modem provides 16 downstream channels along with 4 upstream channels, which is the usual specification for high-end DOCSIS 3.0 cable modems. While this version doesn’t come with a built-in router, there is a slightly more expensive version that does (although we can’t directly speak to its quality).
6.NETGEAR Nighthawk Multi-Gig
Pros & Cons
- BUILT FOR FASTEST MULTI-GIG SPEEDS: Best for cable provider plans up to 2.5Gbps.
- COMPATIBLE WITH XFINITY INTERNET & VOICE SERVICE: Certified by Xfinity and ideal for Xfinity’s Triple Play plan. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH.
- WORKS WITH ANY WIFI ROUTER, BEST WITH WIFI 6: Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices. For the fastest Internet, connect to a NETGEAR WiFi 6 router or Orbi Mesh system
- VOICE PHONE SUPPORT: For use with Xfinity Voice service and up to 2 telephone lines with enhanced call features including caller ID, 3-way conference calling, call forwarding and more.
- MULTI-GIG ETHERNET: 1 x2.5Gbps Ethernet port for the fastest, true multi-gig Internet connections.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Replaces your cable modem saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: Engineered with DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 channel bonding and OFDM(A) 2x2
It is compatible with almost all routers. It takes about 5 minutes or less to complete the entire setup.
It is equipped with 1 Gigabit Ethernet port which can be used to connect to a computer or a router. The Gigabit Ethernet port offers quicker access and downloads. This is one of the best modems that supports a speed of up to 500 Mbps. It is compatible with all the cable internet service providers.
It offers the fastest and most trustworthy speeds along with channel bonding. You will always have bandwidth and speed to use even if you use streaming or play games.
Pros & Cons
- This 8x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 343 Mbps, eight times faster than DOCSIS 2.0. A Full-Band Capture digital tuner ensures a faster, more reliable Internet.
- Cable modem's Ethernet port connects to a computer, HDTV, game station, or wireless router. (This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or VoIP telephone adapter. The Motorola MG7310, MG7315, and MG7550 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service. Certified by Comcast XFINITY, Time Warner Cable, Cox, BrightHouse, and other leading cable service providers for modem ownership programs that typically save rental charges of $120 or more per year
- Setup is fast and easy with a few quick steps set out in a Quick Start guide. Experienced USA-based customer support specialists are there to help if you need them.
- Attractive, compact design minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office. A two-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
Its in-built DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32×8 capabilities offer the topmost Internet speeds for all cable Internet services. It performs at the optimum efficiency level and speed in both slower networks in rural areas and in faster networks in urban locales.
You can rest assured as it works with all types of WiFi or Mesh routers.
Its Active Queue Management (AQM) considerably decreases internet latency. AQM enables faster page loads. It significantly improves interactive applications such as online gaming and video conferencing.
Best Modem for Comcast – We’re longtime renters of the Xfinity xFi Gateway modem and router, but the idea of saving money by buying our own routers pushed us to research dozens of cable modems. The xFi Gateway rental fee is $14 a month, which means you’ll potentially save a year if you buy your own modem. (And router too, of course.)