Best Motorola Modem – While many manufacturers make modems, Motorola is a brand with a long track record, and that familiar name gives it broad appeal.
When choosing a Motorola modem, you should first ensure that the model is compatible with your ISP. After that, let the features you desire or expect to use guide you to a comfortable decision.
1.ARRIS SURFboard SB6190
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers.
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 800 Mbps. Easily setup your modem with the SURFboard Central app
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3.0 bonded channels
- 1 Gigabit Ethernet port for connecting to a Wi-Fi router or other device.
- Cable internet service required. Does not inlcude Wi-Fi and does not support cable digital voice service.
A successor to Arris’ extremely popular SB6183, the SB6190 continues the company’s reputation for making some of the most reliable cable modems available. If you have a regular internet connection less than 1Gbps (which is what most of us have), the Arris Surfboard SB6190 will fit your needs just fine. There’s a really good chance you’ll take this out of the box, swap it with the modem from your cable company and not even think about the modem ever again.
It’s small enough to be tucked away just about anywhere, and is also certified by all the major cable providers, so you shouldn’t have a problem getting it running with your internet service provider of choice.
2.NETGEAR Nighthawk Multi-Gig
- BUILT FOR FASTEST MULTI-GIG SPEEDS: Best for cable provider plans up to 2.5Gbps
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, COX and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, ATandT, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- WORKS WITH ANY WIFI ROUTER, BEST WITH WIFI 6: Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices. For the fastest Internet, connect to a NETGEAR WiFi 6 router or Orbi Mesh system.
- MULTI-GIG ETHERNET: 1 x 2.5Gbps Ethernet port for the fastest, true multi-gig Internet connections.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Replaces your cable modem saving you up to dollar 168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: Engineered with DOCSIS 3.1 32x8 channel bonding and OFDM(A) 2x2.
If you want the best performance and cost is no object, the Netgear Nighthawk CM2000 is the fastest cable modem you can get.
Keep in mind, in order to take advantage of this performance, you need a high-speed connection from your ISP and a router capable of sending information to your other devices at the fastest speed possible.
- Ultra-fast DOCSIS 3.1 performance - Delivers true Gigabit-plus speeds. Supports fast internet plans with Comcast Xfinity, Cox, and Spectrum. Backward compatible with 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0.
- Pairs with any WiFi router - Seamlessly compatible with any WiFi router to connect all your devices. This cable modem does NOT have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Multi-gigabit Ethernet speed - A 2.5 GB Ethernet port delivers true high-speed connectivity to even the fastest routers and computers, providing downstream speeds just below 2,500 Mbps and upstream speeds up to 800 Mbps when supported by your internet service plan.
- Fast streaming, conferencing, gaming - Applies Active Queue Management (AQM) for reduced Internet latency and better app performance, including online gaming, conferencing, and streaming.
- Extreme cost savings - Owning your own modem typically saves the home $168 per year in monthly rental charges. (Savings described is for Comcast Xfinity and vary by service provider.)
- Built for reliability - Motorola is a worldwide leader in technology people depend on. Comes with a 2-year warranty and free support from our team of USA technicians.
If you want the best possible performance, but every nickel counts, the Motorola MB8611 is a good choice. You should see the same blazing speeds as the Netgear Nighthawk CM2000, but end up with a few more bucks leftover.
Now, the same caveats apply: You need a really fast connection and a router capable of sending that fast connection to the devices on your network.
4.ARRIS Surfboard S33
- MULTI-GIG NETWORKING: The SURFboard S33 features a 2.5 Gbps Ethernet port plus an additional 1 Gbps Ethernet port for a 2nd network
- Cable internet service required. Does NOT include Wi-Fi and does not support cable digital voice service.
- DOCSIS 3.1 Cable Modem approved for cable internet speed plans up to 1.2 Gbps
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3.0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
- Connects to any existing Wi-Fi router for blazing-fast internet.
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others.ice.
- Stop renting your modem and save on monthly modem rental fees!
- Sleek new, modern design fits nicely into home or office
- Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
There’s a lot of brains behind this beauty: Not only is this a fast modem, not only is this a modem you don’t need to hide in a closet (although we still would), this modem also allows you to have two separate networks from your single connection.
That’s pretty neat, although we don’t know anyone who might need such a feature. The price of the Arris Surfboard S33 is also quite good, considering its bevy of features.
5.ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 2 Gbps. Note, a 2nd IP address is required from your cable internet provider to reach 2 Gbps.
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
- Two 1-Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- Cable internet service required; Does not inlcude Wi-Fi and does not support cable digital voice service
We have arrived at the best bang-for-your-buck winner, high-speed category: Arris Surfboard SB8200. It’s fast as heck at a very good price. If you are about to upgrade to a faster internet connection, this is the one to get.
It’s just as fast as the fast ones on this list, but for a lot less money. It’s your money, so spend it how you wish, but we know we wouldn’t spend more for something that isn’t demonstrably better.
6.NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable
- Supports internet speed up to 2Gbps. Certified with Xfinity Internet & Voice Plans up to 800Mbps speed. Future speed with Xfinity is subject to change
- Works with any WiFi router. Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices
- Save monthly rental fees. Model CM1150V replaces your cable modem saving you up to $150/yr in equipment rental fees
- Four (4) Gigabit Ethernet ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, separate WiFi router, printer, game box, and other devices
- For use with Xfinity Voice service and up to 2 telephone lines with enhanced call features including caller ID, 3 way conference calling, call forwarding and more
- Modem technology: Engineered with 32x8 channel bonding, OFDM 2x2, and DOCSIS 3.1
- Multi-gig Ethernet: Link aggregation combines two 1G ports into one 2G port for faster wired ethernet speed
This is the modem to get if you are also using landline telephone service from your ISP. It’s an expensive modem, but you are likely already paying a fair bit of money for a lot of service, so you can’t use any regular modem.
The good news is this modem does voice, high-speed connections, and allows you to have two independent networks. For what you get, it’s a lot. But you need this only if you are doing telephone service.
7.MOTOROLA 16×4 C
- This 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem provides speeds up to 686 Mbps, sixteen times faster than DOCSIS 2.0. A Full-Band Capture digital tuner ensures a faster, more reliable Internet.
- Cable modem's Ethernet port connects to a computer, HDTV, game station, or wireless router. (This Model MB7420 cable modem does NOT have a built-in wireless router and does not have a telephone adapter or phone jack. The Motorola MG7310, MG7315, MG7540 and MG7550 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service. Certified by Comcast XFINITY for residential speeds up to Extreme 300, by Comcast Business for speeds up to Deluxe 250, Time Warner Cable, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse, and other leading cable service providers for modem ownership programs that typically save rental charges of 120 dollar or more per year
- Setup is fast and easy with a few quick steps set out in a Quick Start guide. Experienced USA-based customer support specialists are there to help if you need them.
This modem should be purchased only if you know you aren’t going to get a higher-speed connection and your needs are pretty modest. If that’s you, this modem should pay for itself in under a year.
Now, before the word “modest” scares you away, you can still stream in 4K, use the internet like normal, and do plenty of video calls. It should meet all your needs without having to spend a lot of money.
Best Motorola Modem – Many factors can contribute to underperforming home internet service, but a major one is the equipment one uses. Most ISPs (internet service providers) will rent a modem to residential customers, but these tend to be bare-bones models that are slower or less reliable.
Purchasing your own modem (and/or router) not only can help deliver the kind of internet connection you desire, but usually does so with a long-term savings.