Best Motorola Router – Many factors can contribute to underperforming home internet service, but a major one is the equipment one uses. Most ISPs (internet service providers) will rent a modem to residential customers, but these tend to be bare-bones models that are slower or less reliable.
Purchasing your own modem (and/or router) not only can help deliver the kind of internet connection you desire, but usually does so with a long-term savings.
- Fast 24x8 DOCSIS 3.0 cable Modem Plus a built-in AC1900 Dual band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wi-Fi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, power boost Wi-Fi amplifiers, firewall security, and more. The maximum modem speed is 1000 Mbps, supporting service speeds up to 650.
- Eliminate up to 156 dollars per year in cable Modem rental fees. (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) certified by all leading cable service providers including Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Charter spectrum (no cable Modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Built-in high-speed router with AC1900 wireless and Power boost - Provides internet access for Wi-Fi devices including smartphones, notebooks, tablets, and more. 4 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports provide wired connections to Windows and Mac computers and other Ethernet-capable devices. A Broadcom cable Modem Chipset provides security from denial of service attacks.
- Wireless power boost for better speed and range - Adds high-performance Wi-Fi power amplifiers to boost the wireless signals to the legal limit, giving a significant Boost in speed and range. In addition, anybeam Performing at both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies focuses the signal on wireless clients to further enhance performance and range
If it’s time to upgrade your modem and your router, the Motorola MG7700 is likely the right one for you if you’re a customer of Comcast Xfinity, Cox or Spectrum and don’t pay extra for a superfast plan. Your cable company (or even your bill from them) will be able to tell you what speed connection you have, but as a rough guide if you’re on a basic plan, it almost certainly won’t be a what’s known as a 1 gigabit connection, (and if it is, we’ve got picks for you below).
One of the best features of the Motorola MG7700 we like most has nothing to do with its technical prowess: It’s not terribly ugly. In order to get the best range from its wireless signal, you don’t want to hide the modem/router behind furniture or in a closet.
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C6220 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to Dollar 168/yr in equipment rental fees.
- SPEEDS BY CARRIER: Xfinity (up to 200Mbps), Cox (up to 150Mbps), Spectrum (up to 100Mbps).
- FAST WiFi PERFORMANCE: Get up to 1200 sq ft wireless coverage and 20 devices connected with AC1200 speed (up to 1200 Mbps).
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: 2 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 1 USB port give you fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices.
The plus of the Netgear C6220 AC1200: it’s affordable! The negative (other than the name, come on companies, pull yourselves together): modest performance. And it’s sorta ugly (tastes vary of course, but we bet you agree with us).
For this model, you’ll want to make sure you don’t have a faster connection than this modem can handle. Who is this model aimed at? Folks who rent their modems from their cable companies, don’t have super-big homes, don’t have a really high-speed connection (no more than a 200Mbps connection, which your cable company will be able to tell you if you have), and don’t have a lot of additional devices to hook up.
3.NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem
- Save monthly rental fees: Model C7000 replaces your cable modem and Wi-Fi router, saving you up to 168 dollars/year in equipment rental fees.
- Speeds by carrier: Xfinity (up to 800Mbps), Cox (up to 500Mbps), Spectrum (up to 400Mbps).
- Fast Wi-Fi performance: Get up to 1800 square feet wireless coverage and 30 devices connected with AC1900 speed (up to 1900 Mbps).
- Versatile connections: 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and 2 USB ports give you fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices.
- Modem technology: Engineered with 32x8 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.1.
- Note: Refer to page 102 of user guide for troubleshooting steps
These capabilities are reflected in the higher price tag, and our reviewer said in fact, it is ‘overkill for the average user’s internet needs’, so it really comes down to whether your a gamer, or stream to a lot of different TVs in the house at the same time.
If you are a power user, then our tester was ‘pleasantly surprised by how well it performed considering it’s an all-in-one.’ They tested this modem in a 2,500 square foot home, and we got reliable performance in every corner, only running into slowdowns on the farthest side of the house. However, they did say the performance via a an ethernet cable ‘wasn’t quite as good’.
4.ARRIS SURFboard SBG7600AC2
- DOCSIS Cable Modem, AC2350 dual-band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U.S. Cable Internet Providers including Cox, Spectrum, Xfinity & others. Cable internet service required. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers.
- 32 downstream & 8 upstream channels. Best for cable internet speed plans up to 800 Mbps.
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app
The SBG7600AC2 is a very good modem/router with a terrible name. What you should know:
It’ll handle a really fast connection (1.4 gigabit, which is almost certainly faster than you have), has four fast Ethernet ports for plugging in TVs and games consoles via a cable, and it’s a bit nerdy looking.
- COMPATIBLE WITH MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, and more. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 6Gbps
- FAST WIFI 6 PERFORMANCE: Up to 3,000 sq. ft. wireless coverage with dual-band WiFi 6 (AX6000) speed (up to 6Gbps)
- VERSATILE CONNECTIONS: One 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet port, 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports and one USB 3.0 port give fast wired connections to your computer, printer, game box, storage drive, and other devices
- MODEM TECHNOLOGY: DOCSIS 3.1 and 32x8 channel bonding
Let’s cut to the chase: The Nighthawk CAX80 has a lot of features with a lot of letters that really does (not literally) spell out “FUTURE PROOF.” But it’s expensive.
If you have a very, very fast internet connection and think you’ll be able to upgrade to an even faster connection sooner than later, we say grab the CAX80. This is also a great gaming router as the on-board Ethernet, which lets you hook up your Xbox or Playstation via a cable rather than Wi-Fi, is much faster than the Ethernet you’re probably used to. You have to check off a lot of boxes to get the most from this modem/router, but if that’s you, you just met your future connection to the internet.
- Integrated cable modem and WiFi 6 satellite system provides high-performance WiFi coverage for up to 5,000 sq. ft. and 40+ devices. Expand coverage by 2,500 sq. ft. with each optional Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 satellite (sold separately)
- DOCSIS 3.1 modem supports internet plans up to 4Gbps and is compatible with most cable service providers. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps), Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers are subject to change over time
- Fast AX4200 Gigabit speed with WiFi 6 technology for uninterrupted streaming, HD video gaming, and web conferencing
- Save up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees
- Sets up in minutes with the Orbi App; easily manage WiFi settings, test internet speed, and monitor data usage
The Orbi CBK752 is different from the other products on this page because it is a different product. Sure, it’s the same modem/router combo, but rather than being one unit, it’s two to ensure your home is covered with a strong Wi-Fi signal—and if you have a really large home you can add more to get virtually unlimited coverage.
Instead of having strong and weak sections of your home, the Orbi units talk to one another to make sure the signal is strong everywhere. Or that’s the idea, anyway. Thanks to friendly software, configuration is really quite easy.
7.ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem, AC2350 Dual band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U S Cable Internet Providers including CableOne/ Sparkligh, Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Grande Communicatio, Mediacom, RCN, Service Electric, Spectrum (Charter, TWC, BHN), Wave Broadband, WOW. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream DOCSIS 3 1 OFDM channels Best for cable internet speed plans up to 4 Gbps. Cable internet service required
- Wave 2 AC2350 dual-band concurrent Wi-Fi Router with 4 Gigabit Ethernet ports
- Setup and manage your network with the SURFboard Manager app Add SURFboard skills to your Alexa network for voice management of your Wi-Fi settings
On this list we have two Arris modem/routers. We hesitate to bring up any of the complex technical differences between them, but one Arris product is for slower connections and one (this one, the SBG8300), is for faster connections.
You’ll know if you have a faster connection because 1) you pay more each month 2) you likely had to ask to upgrade to the faster connection. So, yes the faster Arris model costs more, but you are already paying for the connection, so you need the faster modem/router to take advantage of what you are already paying for.
Best Motorola Router – While many manufacturers make modems, Motorola is a brand with a long track record, and that familiar name gives it broad appeal.
When choosing a Motorola modem, you should first ensure that the model is compatible with your ISP. After that, let the features you desire or expect to use guide you to a comfortable decision.