Best Openwrt Router – This article talks about some of the best OpenWRT routers available out there for you to buy. You can call it a simple guide that helps you select the one that fits your needs the best. If you already know what OpenWRT is, you can directly skip to the best OpenWRT routers below. If you need a little introduction to OpenWRT, let us begin the journey from the following section.
Are you tired of your router failing frequently? Is fixing your router every month becoming an unwanted hassle in your life? Do you often feel that your router does not provide you with robust security, leaving you open to cyber threats? Unfortunately, no matter how expensive they may be, Wi-Fi routers often fail to deliver secure and consistent performances.
Pros & Cons
- Wave 2 Wireless Internet Router, 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band and 1300Mbps on the 5GHz band, Works with Amazon Alexa
- MU-MIMO Gigabit Router, Three simultaneous data streams help your devices achieve optimal performance by making communication more efficient
- Boosted Wi-Fi Coverage, Beamforming technology delivers a highly efficient wireless connection, Long Range Wi-Fi
- Beyond security, Archer A9 goes beyond traditional network security to provide features such as parental Control, guest wifi, access Control,WPA3 and a VPN Server
- Smart Connect technology directs clients to less congested bands and Airtime Fairness optimizes usage, lag-free online gaming and streaming
- TP-Link tether app - easily set up and manage your home network at home or remotely
The TP-Link Archer A9 router is an excellent choice for anyone looking to get into the world of OpenWRT software so you can have full control over your home network. This is a dual-band router packed to the brim with features and functionality. The dual-band functionality gives you two channels to which you can connect your devices: a 2.4GHz channel and a 5GHz channel. This gives you more flexibility to get the most speed out of all of your devices. You can connect devices that need more speed and reliability to the 5GHz channel and those that don’t to the 2.4GHz channel.
When it comes to speed and connectivity, you’ll also get tons of options here. The Archer A9 can provide a top speed of 1300 megabits per second, or 1.3 gigabits per second, on the 5GHz channel. Plus, with beamforming technology and MU-MIMO capabilities, you’ll get long-range performance for multiple devices, even through obstacles like walls and doors.
Pros & Cons
- 【DUAL BAND AC WIRELESS ROUTER】 Simultaneous dual band with wireless speed 300Mbps(2.4G)+433Mbps(5G). Tethering Compatible.Convert public network(wired/wireless) to a private Wi-Fi for secure surfing.
- 【OPEN SOURCE & PROGRAMMABLE】 OpenWrt/LEDE pre-installed, backed by software repository.
- 【VPN CLIENT & SERVER】 OpenVPN and WireGuard pre-installed, compatible with 30+ VPN service providers.
- 【LARGER STORAGE & EXTENSIBILITY】 128MB RAM, 16MB NOR Flash and 128MB NAND Flash, up to 128GB MicroSD slot, USB 2.0 port, three Gigabit Ethernet ports (1 WAN and 2 LAN).
- 【EASY TO CARRY】It is small and light, which is very convenient to carry around while working or travelling.
- 【CAN BE WIDELY USED】 No matter you are at hotel room, airport, restaurant, RV or any other places, you could connect the router to the public wifi hotspot and secure your connected devices.
- 【PACKAGE CONTENTS】 GL-AR750S-Ext (Slate) router with 1-year limited warranty, power adapter (US Plug), USB cable, Ethernet cable and user manual.
The GL.iNet GL-AR750S-Ext is one of the more unique OpenWRT routers we feature in this buying guide. The first thing you’ll notice about it is the fact that it’s incredibly small and compact. With an overall size of 3.9 x 2.7 x 0.9 inches, this is one of the smallest routers you can buy today, and it even fits in your pocket. This makes it perfect for traveling or generally keeping it out of the way in your home, especially if you don’t have a lot of space. Plus, the GL.iNet comes with the OpenWRT software pre-installed, so you won’t have to worry about going through that process if you’ve never done it before.
Fortunately, the GL.iNet doesn’t sacrifice much in the ways of functionality to achieve such a compact size. This is still a dual-band router with both 2.4GHz and 5GHz channels for greater connection versatility.
3.Google Wifi – AC1200
Pros & Cons
- Google Wifi is a scalable flexible mesh Wifi system that blankets your home in reliable coverage and keeps buffering at bay; 1 Google Wifi point replaces your router and additional points expand your network to keep the connection fast in every room
- Google Wifi gives you whole home coverage; 1 Pack covers up to 1500 square feet and 3 Pack covers up to 4500 square feet; points work together to create a mesh network for more coverage
- Intelligently works behind the scenes to make sure your Wifi remains fast so you can stream with speed
- Simple setup in a few steps; use the Google Home app to create your network and get online in minutes
- Parental controls let you manage screen time, restrict certain kinds of adult content, and pause Wifi to specific devices on your mesh network whenever you want
- Easy to control home Wifi system lets you prioritize devices check your network speeds, set up a guest network, and more
- Works with all Google Wifi points and can be added to any existing Nest Wifi system; just add more points if you need more coverage
- Sustainably designed; 49% of the plastic part weight is made with recycled material (2020 model)
- Please refer to the product description section below for all applicable legal disclaimers denoted by the bracketed numbers in the preceding bullet points (e.g. , , etc.)
Google says the Wifi doesn’t collect user activity data, like what sites you’re visiting. By default, it appears to collect only hardware-, app- and network-related information. However, you can turn this off in the Privacy section of the settings.
Still, a constant connection to Google is required. That’s a dealbreaker for some. Not all home mesh Wi-Fi systems, which use several “satellite” devices to extend the Wi-Fi signal, require a connection to the vendor in order to work — the Eero does while the Netgear Orbi doesn’t. Most home routers don’t require this at all.
4.ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600
Pros & Cons
- Maximum Range : 5500 Sq Ft
- Banish WiFi Dead Zone—Tri-band mesh WiFi system with unique antenna placement delivers strong WiFi to every corner of your home providing total wireless speed of 6600Mbps
- Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 Technology— With OFDMA and MU-MIMO ZenWiFi AX enables more efficient stable and faster transmission even when multiple devices are transmitting data at the same time
- Hassle Free Control – 3 steps setup and easy management with ASUS Router App
- Always Up-to-date Protection— The lifetime free network security powered by Trend Micro makes sure your privacy on connected devices is protected
These were all reasons that the two-piece, $700 Netgear Orbi Wi-Fi 6 mesh router earned a strong review here on CNET. But I could say all of the same things about the Asus ZenWiFi AX, too — and that two-piece system only costs .
On top of that, the ZenWiFi AX boasts better range per device and a better array of app-based controls and customizations for your network, and it lets you use either device as router or extender (the Orbi doesn’t). It even comes in your choice of white or black.
Pros & Cons
- Provides up to 1,500 square feet of Wi-Fi coverage for 10plus wireless devices
- Works with existing modem, simple setup through Linksys App. Minimum system requirements-Internet Explorer versions 8 and newer, Safari 5 (for Mac), Firefox 8, Google Chrome
- Enjoy 4K HD streaming, gaming and more in high quality without buffering
- Dual band Wi-Fi speeds up to 1.7 Gbps (2.4 GHz / 450 Mbps) plus (5 GHz / 1300 Mbps)
- MU MIMO (Multi User Multiple Input Multiple Output) provides Wi-Fi to multiple devices at once, at the same high speed
- Amazon exclusive extended 18 month warranty
The Linksys WRT1900ACS OpenWRT router looks like a classic networking device with its traditional blue and black, blocky design. Some are turned away by this design, but it allows for stacking if that’s something you need with your home or office network setup. The router’s design also gives you four different gigabit ethernet ports and two USB 3.0 ports for the ultimate level of connectivity. We were also impressed by the WRT1900ACS’s durability. This router is tough, which makes it even better for commercial use or high-traffic areas.
The Linksys WRT1900ACS router doesn’t hold back on performance, either. It’s a dual-band Wi-Fi router, but it performs best on the 5GHz band. You’ll also get strong long-range speeds – up to 1300Mbps – and excellent signal strength, even through obstructions. We were also really impressed by the overall ease of installation and use.
6.Turris Omnia 2020
Pros & Cons
- Secure and powerful open source router and home server as "two in one"
- CPU Marvell Armada 385, Dual Core 1.6 GHz with 2 GB RAM and 8 GB eMMC
- It makes it possible to operate Wifi at 5 GHz (802.11 AC) and 2.4 GHz (802.11 b / g / n) at the same time
- Automatic update and a unique distributed firewall
- Large amount of additional software integrated and available immediately
The Turris Omnia 2GB OpenWRT wireless router is the option with one of the highest qualities you can find available on the market today, in both its construction and overall great performance. It’s built with a durable metal chassis that looks good and can withstand a beating.
Unfortunately, the metal chassis can’t elevate the router’s overall design, which is frankly a bit boring, especially when compared to other modern OpenWRT routers. On the front of the device, you’ll find a single USB 3.0 port and a line of LED indicator lights that flash to tell you different statuses. The Turris Omnia OpenWRT router also features three adjustable antennas that emit a powerful Wi-Fi signal.
7.NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart
Pros & Cons
- Fast wifi performance: Get up to 1800 square feet wireless coverage with AC1900 speed (Dual band up to 600 + 1300 Mbps)
- Recommended for up to 30 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports ; 1 x 3.0 and 1 x 2.0 USB ports
- NETGEAR Armor protects your family's WiFi with an automatic shield of security across all your connected devices with a 30-day free trial
- NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls promotes healthy Internet habits, fosters responsibility and builds trust with your kids (30-day free trial included)
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and more
The Netgear Nighthawk X4S OpenWRT router is the best choice for streaming 4K and full HD content in your home, even across a wide variety of different streaming devices. This wireless router offers dual-band functionality – with both 5GHz and 2.4GHz channels – but performs best on the 5GHz band. You’ll get up to 1.733Gbps of speed on the 5GHz, as long as your home network offers those kinds of speeds. The Nighthawk X4S also provides excellent performance over longer ranges, which is an excellent feature to have.
You’ll also get amazing performance for multiple devices with this Netgear wireless router. With strong MU-MIMO capabilities, the X4S can connect up to 45 different devices with hardly any service interruptions or performance dips.
Best Openwrt Router – Aside from the frequent crashing, you might also find that your router fails to provide consistent coverage or fast speeds as promised. This might hamper your work life significantly, especially at a time when work from home has become the new normal. You may solve all of these issues by installing custom-made operating systems in the router through OpenWRT. What is that, you ask? Let us walk you through this fantastic technology.