Best Optimum Modem – Unfortunately, if you have Optimum’s fiber internet service, you have to rent Optimum’s Fiber Gateway. There aren’t any third-party Optimum-compatible fiber gateways out there. Bummer.
All these variables would tempt anyone to avoid the confusion and pay Optimum $10 per month to rent its provided Altice Gateway. But if you’re angling for a deal or just prefer to have your own tech, stick with us—we’ll walk you through your options for Optimum cable internet modems.
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
- Flexible Compatibility - Pair with any Wi-Fi router you’d like, including Whole Home Wi-Fi or Mesh routers like eero, Google Wi-Fi, and Orbi. A 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet port allows connection of any SINGLE device with an Ethernet port including a router, Windows or Mac computer, HDTV, or game station. This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability.
- Proactive Network Security - A broadcom chipset provides advanced security from denial-of service attacks.
- Active Queue Management (AQM) - AQM significantly reduces Internet latency on both DOCSIS 3.1 and 3.0 services, resulting in faster page loads for all Web traffic and enhanced interactive applications like online gaming and video conferencing. The MB8600 also includes a full-band capture digital tuner to enhance speed and save energy.
If you are in the market for a reliable modem that can manage torrenting, 4K streaming, and online gaming like a pro, it is best advised to invest in Motorola MB8600. This modem takes the top position on the list due to the excellent networking standards, minimal latency, and a wide array of indicative LEDs.
I even tested the modem against the dated MB7220 but was blown away by the 32×8 channels as compared to the 8×4 channel bonding support exhibited by the MB7220. Even the older MG7700, which is a modem-router combo, is outpaced in terms of downstream channels.
2.Arris Touchstone TM1602A
- Compatible with Time Warner Cable, Charter, Spectrum, Optimum Cable, Cablevision, and Other US Cable Internet Service Providers
- Features 16x4 Channel Bonding & Embedded Multimedia Terminal Adapter (E-MTA)
- Includes 2 Primary VoIP Telephone Lines + 1 Gigabit Ethernet Port
- DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem Supporting Wired Download Speeds up to 960Mbps
- Telephone Modem Only - WiFi Router Purchased Separately
In case you plan on setting up a home or office network with adequate internet coverage and access to telephone ports, the Arris Touchstone TM1602A is the perfect modem to invest in. Rest assured the lack of brilliant aesthetics wouldn’t be having any negative impact on the networking performances.
As far as comparisons are concerned, the TM1602A is quite an upgrade over the Arris TM822G, courtesy of additional downstream and upstream channels, which readily adds to the achievable internet speeds.
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 1Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps), Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- Save monthly rental fees: Model CM1000 replaces your cable modem saving you up to dollar 168/year in equipment rental fees.
- Works with any Wi-Fi router: Connect any Wi-Fi router to this modem's Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices.
- Ethernet connections: 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to your computer or separate Wi-Fi router.
If multi-ISP compatibility is on your mind followed by ease of setup, I would recommend the Netgear CM1000 over any other modem on the list.
In comparison, the smaller CM600 feels way out of place as the CM1000 comes equipped with a more toned chassis and 8 additional downstream channels for better speeds.
- Coverage up to 1,800 sq. ft. for up to 30 devices with AC1900 speed (up to 1900Mbps)
- Replaces your cable modem and Wi-Fi router, saving you up to Dollar 168/year in equipment rental fees
- Speeds by carrier: Xfinity (up to 800Mbps), Cox (up to 500Mbps), Spectrum (up to 400Mbps)
- Plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and more with 4 x 1G Ethernet ports
- Share a storage drive with any connected device using the 2.0 USB port
The Netgear Nighthawk C7000 isn’t your regular cable modem but a combo with integrated routing capabilities. Also, I had the opportunity to test it alongside the older variant, i.e. the C6900.
As per inferences gathered upon using mid-range Optimum internet plans, the C7000 is moderately faster and even brings in the added USB port for sharing data over WAN and LAN networks.
- Model MB7621 is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 650 Mbps. Wirecutter rates this “the best modem for most people.” A Full-Band Capture Digital Tuner ensures faster, more reliable Internet.
- This cable modem's 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to a WiFi router, computer, HDTV, game station, or streaming video device. Great for use with Whole Home WiFi or Mesh networks like eero, Google WiFi, and Orbi. (This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability. The Motorola MG7315, MG7540, MG7550, and MG7700 have a built-in wireless router.)
- Requires cable Internet service.Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable, BrightHouse, CableOne, SuddenLink, RCN, and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable modem rental fees up to 156 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by cable service provider. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others. Model MB7621 has no phone jack.)
- Setup is fast and easy using the quick start guide.
- Attractive, compact design minimizes shelf space, improves cooling, and extends product life while looking great in any home or office. A 2-year warranty plus rugged lightning and power surge circuits protect your investment.
The Motorola MB7621 is one of the few modems on the list that allows you to get the most of the Optimum 500Mbps or even the Gig internet plans. While some might recommend this only for the mid-range plans, Motorola ensures that the wired potential and the throughput are in line with some of the top-shelf modems.
In the meanwhile, I conducted a comparative study with the older, Motorola MB7420 to test the MB7621 against. However, the reviewed variant readily outpaced the MB7420 with 8 additional downstream channels to rely on followed by a more pronounced structure.
6.ARRIS Surfboard SB6183-RB
- APPROVED with Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse), Cox and more. If not sure call your cable provider to find out if approved to use. REQUIRES Cable Internet Service. Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router). NO support for Cable TELCO options
- Internet speeds up to 686 Mbps on 16 Download Channels and 131 Mbps on 4 Upload Channels, based on your cable ISP subscription. Approved for plans up to 400Mbps. Gigabit Ethernet port to connect to computer or router
- Great for streaming HD Video and gaming on multiple devices at a time
- 90 Day Warranty. ARRIS Certified Refurbished. US Technical support. ARRIS Certified Refurbished products will ALWAYS be branded ARRIS, Never Motorola! If you get Motorola branded product they are illegitimate, need to be returned to Seller and Reported to Amazon
Hardly do I come across good-looking modems in white that offers the speeds and data rates expected by a standard user. The Arris SB6183 is one such device that you can best purchase for the 300Mbps internet plan from Optimum.
Also, when I compared it with the less impactful SB6141, I realized the SB6183 is a better choice when it comes to managing plans equal to or slightly higher than the 300Mbps throughput, owing to lower latency and minimal response to congestion.
7.TP-Link 16×4 AC1750
- Tp-link Archer Cr700 Ieee 802.11ac Cable Modem/wireless Router - 2.40 Ghz Ism Band - 5 Ghz Unii Band - 6 X Antenna(6 X Internal - 1750 Mbit/s Wireless Speed - 4 X Network Port - Usb - Gigabit Ethernet - Yes Desktop
I know you wouldn’t say no to a mid-range Modem-Router combo like the Archer CR700 from TP-Link, especially if you are planning to get on a 300Mbps internet plan from Optimum.
Also, as compared to the CR500, the TP-Link CR700 promises better coverage and advanced routing capabilities despite sharing similar modem-specific hardware.
Best Optimum Modem – But these modems are old-school. You may manage to hunt down one that’s been pre-owned and refurbished, but chances are it’ll be too worn out to treat you right. Optimum might even use your bad experience as an “I told you so” moment to sell you on its Altice Gateway with included tech support (that’s $10 per month).
So if you’re an Optimum internet-only customer, we say pass on these modems. While you can also confirm with Optimum customer service that the following modems will work in your area, they’ve worked for other Optimum internet customers—and they’re a whole lot better than the ones listed above.