Best Plunge Router – Routers are one of the most multi-functioning tools you can find around. With the best plunge routers for woodworking, you can cut grooves and rebates, profile edges, cut in-lays, trim wood, shape wood, drill clean holes, recess hinges, and so much more. Whether you are experienced or not, these machines are worth it. The tools are small enough to be carried around on-site or be moved with ease making them remarkably versatile.
This piece of equipment is manufactured in different styles as manufacturers compete to add new features. Most modernized routers are equipped with variable speed controls and have plunge bases locked in place. There is also the aspect of a plunge, D-handled and double knob handled.
ROUND UPback to menu ↑
- Versatile: This versatile kit can be used for a broad range of applications, including precise bit plunging, edge forming, slot cutting, laminate trimming and dovetail cutting; Making it one of the most widely used routers for wood working
- Durability: Aluminum construction makes this one of our most durable wood routers yet with wooden handles on a fixed base and a soft grip handle on a plunge base
The Bosch 1617EVSPK Wood Router Tool Combo Kit is one of the best plunge routers on the market. For the price, you really couldn’t ask for more versatility. The Bosch is able to perform a mass range of applications from precise bit plunging to slot cutting and even laminate trimming and dovetail cutting.
You will be hard-pressed to find better durability than aluminum construction. This router is popular due to its ease of use and sense of control you have while using it. There is a built-in circuitry allowing for constant motion, so it doesn’t stall in the middle of your project and promotes accuracy with a consistent speed in cutting.back to menu ↑
- 2-1/4 HP (maximum motor HP), 12.0 amp electronic variable speed motor of DEWALT router provides the power to rout smoothly through the toughest hardwoods
- DEWALT plunge router features electronic variable speed with full feedback control for constant speed under load from 8,000-24,000 rpm and soft start to reduce start-up torque for enhanced control
The DEWALT Router Fixed/Plunge Base Kit is a beautiful addition to any woodworking project, in fact, we think it is one of the best plunge routers for the money. The DEWALT has a powerful motor and will cut through anything that you need it to. The variable speed control is excellent for a smooth transition between applications.
The addition of LED lights makes it easy to see what you are doing for the most precision possible on delicate jobs. The adjustable base provides ease with different feeds and cutting. The base incorporates optimum control of base depth cutting.back to menu ↑
- Dust extraction column: placed on the back and extends to the top of the Router and includes a swivel nozzle. Keep the power cord (also top mounted) and dust extraction hose out of your way
- Intuitive Controls: clearly labeled with icons indicating purpose and adjustment direction. Work Smarter without having to locate the Manual to make less common adjustments
The Festool 574692 offers a swiveling chip deflector that can be utilized with different chips to curve around corners. A special feature on the Festool is that it has integrated dust extraction ports, so your visibility is increased, and there isn’t as much clean up after. Anything that saves time is extremely valuable.
The Festool has ergonomic handles to increase control and decrease fatigue. You are able to work the switches using just one hand, which is ideal for those detailed projects. The Festool has a powerful engine that will not stall or wind down mid-job. It’s ready for any project that you can dream up.back to menu ↑
4.Triton TRA001 3-1/4
- Single button switches from conventional plunge to fixed-base router with rack and pinion mode
- Through base, single wrench bit change is achieved with automatic spindle lock
The Triton TRA001 offers continuous fine depth adjustments which are ideal for precision projects. Single wrench bit changes through an automatic spindle lock and variable speeds are suitable for smooth transitions in speed and project. Side air vents prevent dust from getting into the router itself, which increases the longevity of your investment.
The fully-enclosed guard adds additional safety. The 3-stage turret with direct reading scales means there is no cut that won’t be precise. You can expect continuous, smooth cutting with this router that does not shy away from difficult tasks and will not slow down with pressure cutting.back to menu ↑
- Variable speed control dial (10,000 - 30,000 RPM) enables user to match the speed to the application
- Smooth rack-and-pinion fine depth adjustment system for more precise settings
The Makita RT0701CX7 is a great router to use for your every day or project needs. The variable speed control dial is great because you can match the exact speed to your project. The rack and pinion fine depth adjustment system allows for more precise settings for the job that you are working on. The design is ergonomic for comfort and control, and the electronic speed allows for consistent speed for detailed jobs. A unique thing about the Makita is that the fixed base accepts industry templates.
But we had our gripes, too. You don’t want this thing to fall apart or break a piece because, firstly, it’s hard to find replacement parts with the majority being foreign. Secondly, the customer service is seemingly nonexistent. Also, the depth adjustment is very sensitive.back to menu ↑
- Powerful 15-amp variable speed soft start motor provides speeds from 8, 000 to 23, 000 RPM
- Plunging base locks in downward position for functionality as both a plunge and a fixed Router
The WEN RT6033 offers a 15-amp variable speed motor and the base locks in downward for good functionality. It also includes a hard-shell carrying case with lots of accessories such as a multi-function straight-edge fence, guide, circle-cutting and can accept both ¼-inch and ½-inch router bits.
Although it comes with a warranty, the customer service department was hard to reach but they did respond eventually. The plunger is stiff at first, but it is something that you get used to. The bits are also hard to take in and out of the router.back to menu ↑
- Accessory base for router models 891 and 892
- Replacement base for combination kit models 893PK, 894PK and 895PK
The PORTER-CABLE is a soft-staring 12-amp motor that provides for full-time electronic feedback. The variable speed control promoted optimized use on applications and powers through even when pressure is added. The base can be combined with other kit models which makes it convenient to exchange.
Problems exist in the fact that 10,000 RPM is the lowest speed you can go, so it is not ideal for finer cutting. If you don’t use it for a few months, it seems to be slow coming up to speed. The bits are difficult to change out.back to menu ↑
Best Plunge Router – In this article, I’ve reviewed some of the very best plunge routers for woodworking that you can consider for your various projects. Additionally, I’ve included a detailed buyer’s guide with the necessary information to help you choose the right products that suits your projects at hand.