Best Router for Gigabit Internet – If you’re using one of the best laptops or desktop PCs, you don’t want your network to hamstring your computing experience. After all, with everything we do online these days, a strong and reliable signal is crucial, and the top wireless routers will inevitably give you the best results when it comes to connecting to the outside world. You end up with a faster, more seamless, and more consistent signal in your area of coverage.
No matter if you rely on that internet connection for your business, for playing online games or co-op games with friends, or for bingeing the best Netflix shows, now is the time to upgrade to the best wireless router you can. From excellent mesh Wi-Fi routers to newer Wi-Fi 6 routers, here are our top picks.
1.Google Nest WiFi Router 3
Pros & Cons
- Scalable and Flexible: The Google 2nd Generation Nest Wi-Fi Router system is scalable and flexible. It includes one router unit and two extenders
- Coverage: These Nest Wi-Fi devices work together to blanket your whole home in fast, reliable Wi-Fi and eliminate buffering in every room – with coverage up to 6600 square feet
- How It Works: The router plugs into your internet provider’s modem to create your Wi-Fi network while the other two extends the wireless network and keeps your connection fast to devices in every room.
- Strong System: This system is strong enough to handle up to 200 connected devices, and fast enough to stream multiple 4K videos at a time
- Other Features: The system intelligently working behind the scenes to make sure your Wi-Fi remains fast allowing you to walk from room to room on a video call with an uninterrupted signal Nest Wi-Fi automatically updates itself to get new features and help your network stay safe and sound
Google kicks things up a notch in its Google Wifi line with its latest installment. Don’t get us wrong; the original Google Wifi is still among the best wireless routers today.
However, if you’re all about the smart home life, then you’ll appreciate the pure genius of Google Nest Wifi. The best router 2021 has given us takes the Google Wifi, gives it the capabilities of Google Home and wraps it all up in an even sleeker and more appealing package. It’s a mesh router and a smart speaker in one, all with the simplicity that Google Wifi is known for.
2.ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600
Pros & Cons
- Maximum Range : 5500 Sq Ft
- Banish WiFi Dead Zone—Tri-band mesh WiFi system with unique antenna placement delivers strong WiFi to every corner of your home providing total wireless speed of 6600Mbps
- Next-Gen Wi-Fi 6 Technology— With OFDMA and MU-MIMO ZenWiFi AX enables more efficient stable and faster transmission even when multiple devices are transmitting data at the same time
- Hassle Free Control – 3 steps setup and easy management with ASUS Router App
- Always Up-to-date Protection— The lifetime free network security powered by Trend Micro makes sure your privacy on connected devices is protected
Asus has been rolling out some amazing Wi-Fi 6 routers recently, and it has been releasing them for just about every need and budget. With the Asus ZenWiFi AX (XT8), It has also managed to introduce Wi-Fi 6 to that other cutting-edge tech in connectivity; mesh routers.
While it is among the more expensive options out there and limits you to two mesh routers, the Asus ZenWifi AX offers blazing fast speeds as well as plenty of flexibility in its setup – such as the option to set up one or two networks using the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. With excellent security features to boot, this is a fantastic choice if you’re looking at mesh routers.
Pros & Cons
- Game Band: Tri-Band structure provides a 4.8 Gbps Game Band exclusive for your gaming rigs and bings pure immersion. 4804 Mbps (5GHz, HE160) + 1201 Mbps (5GHz) + 574 Mbps (2.4GHz)
- Game Accelerator: Detect and optimize gaming streams, to ensure your gaming stays immersive
- Ultra Connectivity: 1 × 2.5 Gbps WAN/LAN port + 1 × 1 Gbps WAN/LAN port + 3 × Gigabit LAN ports and 2 x USB ports ensure max flexibility and boosted throughput
- Expansive Coverage: 8 detachable high-performance antennas, Beamforming, high-power FEM, 4T4R combine to deliver WiFi coverage up to a 4-bedroom house
- More Devices with Less Lag: OFDMA and MU-MIMO technology deliver data to multiple devices, simultaneously
- Powerful Processing: 1.5 GHz Quad-Core CPU ensures your network performance always at peak run
- TP-Link HomeCare: Protect your network and connected devices with a free lifetime subscription to TP-Link HomeCare featuring next-level antivirus, robust parental controls, and QoS
- TP-Link OneMesh Supported: Flexibly Create Whole Home WiFi with Archer GX90 by adding a OneMesh supported Range Extender, like RE505X
There may be a few things you might not like about the TP-Link Archer GX90. It’s big, it’s bulky, and it’s expensive. However, those are easy to forgive when you realize that you’re getting a big bang for your buck. This is among the best wireless routers out there for gamers, boasting a handful of features for hardcore gaming like a dedicated 5GHz ‘gaming band’ that lets you hog most of your household bandwidth when you need it.
Have younger gamers at home? It also provides good parental controls like content filters to block unsuitable material, with pre-set profiles for children of different ages.
Pros & Cons
- New-generation WiFi 6 - Enjoy ultrafast speeds up to 5700 Mbps with the latest WiFi 6 (802.11ax) and 160MHz channels
- Mobile Game Mode - Minimize lag and latency for mobile gaming with just a tap on the ASUS Router app
- True 2 Gbps wired and wireless speeds - Aggregated 2 Gbps WAN connections, wired 2.5 Gbps port and WiFi 6
- ASUS AiMesh support – Create a flexible, seamless whole-home mesh network with AiMesh-compatible routers
- Commercial-grade home network security – Lifetime free ASUS AiProtection Pro, powered by Trend Micro, with WPA3 and advanced Parental Controls to protect your home
Asus has always had an excellent line of gaming-centric devices, and the Asus RT-AX86U continues that tradition. While expensive compared to run-of-the-mill routers, it’s actually a competitively priced Wi-Fi 6 router. And, considering Wi-Fi 6 is the future in connectivity, this router is a win for Asus and an ace for gamers.
It also has some great features for gamers such as a 2.5 Gigabit Wan, the ability to assign an ethernet port as a dedicated “gaming” port, and NVIDIA Geforce Now Cloud Gaming Optimization. Finally, it comes with very useful parental controls if you need them.
Pros & Cons
- The Next Gen WiFi Standard - Future proof your home network with the next-gen WiFi 6 technology, providing up to 2. 7x faster speed than the previous WiFi generation featuring OFDMA and MU-MIMO technology.
- Ultra-Fast Wi-Fi - RT-AX3000 supports 160MHz bandwidth and 1024-QAM, boasting a total network speed of 3000 Mbps - 575Mbps on the 2. 4GHz band, and 2402GHz on the 5GHz band.
- The Most Powerful Mesh System — AiMesh technology allows you to establish an even stronger mesh WiFi system with other ASUS AiMesh compatible routers, ensuring stable and seamless whole home coverage.
- Commercial-grade network security for family - AiProtection Pro protects all the connected devices on your home network and advanced parental controls allow you to manage the family's internet usage.
- Mobile App Support - Control and customize every feature at your fingertips using the ASUS Router App for both iOS and Android devices.
Wi-Fi 6 is the new cutting-edge technology in networking. And while it offers faster speeds, better connections and larger area coverage, it comes at a price. With the Asus RT-AX58U, the company has been able to offer that Wi-Fi 6 performance at a much more reasonable price.
And while it might not carry some of the extra features or ports that some of the more robust options have, it does offer some important ones such as MU-MIMO and Parental Controls. So if you’re looking for a no-frills way to get speedy internet, the Asus RT-AX58U may be the way to go.
6.NETGEAR Orbi Pro
Pros & Cons
- Business-grade security with 4 SSIDs linked to 4 separate VLANs, with 4 independent DHCP servers to assign IP addresses for complete network segmentation; QoS and WPA3 latest WiFi security; capable of dedicating any SSID to 2.4GHz devices to prevent congestion
- Add-on Business VPN subscription service to enable one-step secure VPN site-to-site, site-to-multi-site connections between corporate to branch and home offices, under one corporate wireless SSID. 30-day free subscription included
- Superior internal antenna designs to boost WiFi performance by 20%
- Ultrafast AX6000 (up to 6Gbps) gigabit speed with WiFi 6 technology for uninterrupted streaming, HD video gaming, and web conferencing
If you need to bring your office’s networking into the modern age with the best router 2021 has on offer, then you must seriously consider getting the Netgear Orbi Pro.
It’s a modular Wi-Fi mesh router that takes some design and performance inspiration from its business-grade competitors. It’s on the more expensive side. However, if you’re running a business where you cannot afford any lags due to poor Wi-Fi, then it’s absolutely worth every penny.
Pros & Cons
- Tri-band backhaul a dedicated band between your Orbi router and satellite frees up the other two bands for maximum speed to your devices
- Works with all internet providers replace your existing wi-fi router and extender separate modem or gateway required compatible with any internet provider including cable satellite fiber DSL and more
- Wired Ethernet port & fast wireless speed 1 Gigabit Ethernet port and AC2200 Wi-Fi powers up to 22 Gbps of streaming HD video gaming or Internet surfing and downloads
- NETGEAR Armor protects your family's WiFi with an automatic shield of security across all your connected devices with a 30-day free trial
- NETGEAR Smart Parental Controls promotes healthy Internet habits, fosters responsibility and builds trust with your kids (30-day free trial included)
- Safe, secure & loaded with advanced technology designed with MUMIMO Smart Connect for one Wi-Fi name and beam forming technologies Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols Includes Guest Wi-Fi access DOS Firewall VPN and more
- Easy to set up and manage set up Wi-Fi in minutes with the Orbi app manage Wi-Fi settings test and monitor speed
When the Netgear Orbi hit the streets, it changed the wireless router scene. Then, in 2019, Netgear released the Netgear Orbi AC2200 RBK23, an economical alternative for casual users who don’t have a grand manor to cover. This makes it a worthy contender for the best wireless routers.
Sure, it comes with fewer antennae and ethernet ports than its higher end counterpart. However, it does deliver more than enough to provide very solid network coverage. Plus, the small form factor means that it will have no issues blending in – not that you will feel the need to hide it.
Best Router for Gigabit Internet – Invest in one of the best wireless routers on the market to boost your network, especially now with Black Friday and Cyber Monday deals making them cheaper.
Whatever router you have from your internet provider can do an adequate enough job and adding one of the best Wi-Fi extenders will extend its reach. But, getting a top-notch router will reduce clutter since you can skip the extender, future-proof your network, and, most importantly, vastly improve your connection.