Best Router for Tomato – All routers come with stock firmware that should be enough to get the job done in most cases. Depending on the firmware’s quality and the price of the router, the various options available for you to tweak around might differ. Most users won’t be needing anything extra, and some OEMs might even prevent you from flashing custom firmware altogether.
But what if you have a perfectly capable router that is being bogged down by shoddy firmware and lack of support from the manufacturer? Well, that’s precisely where our list of the best Tomato routers comes into play!
1.NETGEAR Nighthawk X6
- Recommended for up to 50 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices.
- Wired Ethernet ports: plug in computers, game consoles, streaming players, and other nearby wired devices with 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports.
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 6 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and more.
- USB connections: Share a storage drive and printer with any connected device, and create a personal cloud storage to access from anywhere, using the 1x3.0 and 1x2.0 USB ports.
- Smart parental controls: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free. Set online time limits, schedule device internet access, and more for dollar 4.99/month (1st month free trial).
- Netgear Armor protects your network and connected devices from Internet threats. Get peace of mind knowing you have the best-in-class anti-virus, anti-malware, and data protection for all your smart devices, smartphones, and computers with a 30 day free trial.
- Safe & secure: Supports WPA2 wireless security protocols. Includes Guest WiFi access, DOS, Firewall, VPN, and more.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 has been our pick for being one of the best long-range wireless routers available. The Nighthawk X6 is a tri-band router with a single 2.4GHz band and dual 5GHz band and comes with NETGEAR’s Smart Connect technology. This means the router automatically decides the correct band and channel depending on the needs of the client. You can also assign individual SSID’s to each band, and QoS settings can also be applied independently to each SSID.
Do remember that NETGEAR offers only 90 days of free technical support with this router. Also, flashing custom firmware can void any support. The Nighthawk X6 has received a lot of new firmware updates, but these have mostly catered to the UI and have hardly added any new features. Thus, if there’s any router that can benefit best from Tomato, this has to be it
2.NETGEAR Nighthawk (R7000-100NAS)
- Fast wifi performance: Get up to 1800 square feet wireless coverage with AC1900 speed (Dual band up to 600 + 1300 Mbps)
- Recommended for up to 30 devices: Reliably stream videos, play games, surf the internet, and connect smart home devices
- 4 x 1 gigabit Ethernet ports ; 1 x 3.0 and 1 x 2.0 USB ports
- Loaded with advanced technology: Designed with a 1GHz dual core processor, 3 amplified antennas, Beamforming+, Dynamic QoS, Smart Connect, Amazon Alexa Voice Controls, and more
- Smart parental controls: Pause device internet access, view site history usage, and filter websites for free. Set online time limits, schedule device internet access, and more. (1st month free trial)
The NETGEAR Nighthawk R7000 is one of the best secure routers available in the market today, and it also boasts of the performance to boot. You can further augment its security capabilities by flashing Tomato firmware.
The high theoretical transfer speeds of up to 1.9Gbps ensure enough bandwidth for catering simultaneously to multiple devices such as an Xbox One, PS4, PC/Mac, or a smartphone. The included QoS functionality can allocate resources for gaming or streaming and still have enough bandwidth left over.
The Nighthawk AC1900 offers a plethora of options for security-conscious users. It offers parental control settings and domain filtering along with built-in DDoS protection.
- 802.11ac, Dual Band, Gigabit Ethernet, 4 x RJ-45 LAN, 1 x USB 2.0, 1 x USB 3.0
The NETGEAR R6400 offers one of the best NETGEAR routers for flashing Tomato firmware. The R6400 packs a lot of features for the price and offers speeds up to 1.9Gbps. The three antennas also help provide excellent coverage, and 4 Gigabit ports take care of any wired requirements.
NETGEAR’s software is feature-rich, but flashing Tomato is highly recommended if you know your way around. Also, do look at the version number you are ordering. v1 is better placed in terms of community support than v2. The differences are minor, though if flashing is not your primary concern. Those looking to connect their home media server, VPN, PCs, and smart TVs all simultaneously, along with good Tomato support, will find NETGEAR R6400 a worthy purchase.
- 1GHz CPU powers dual-band 3x3 802.11ac Wi-Fi technology for speeds up to 1750Mbps and wide, responsive coverage for large homes. Coverage area - 3,000 square feet
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App; Firewall：SPI intrusion detection,DoS protection
- Effortless router setup with ASUSWRT web-based interface. OS Support - Linux,Windows 8,Windows 10,Windows 7 ,Mac OS X or higher,Windows 8.1,Windows XP
- Integrated USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports enable printer sharing throughout your network and remote file access with AiCloud 2.0 support
- AiProtection Powered by Trend Micro provides multi-stage protection from vulnerability detection to protecting sensitive data
The ASUS RT-AC66U supports Advanced Tomato as well as Tomato by Shibby and is a good option to consider if you’re looking for a router under $100. The 1GHz dual-core CPU helps keep things flowing smoothly, while the USB 3.0 port allows media sharing. The ASUS router app is feature-rich on its own, but Tomato is there for you if you want more. The stock firmware provides AiProtection powered by Trend Micro for preventing DDoS attacks.
You can connect multiple ASUS routers via AiMesh to increase the overall throughput and range. Tomato allows for using a router in any compatible WDS mode, so you need not worry about losing this feature after flashing. However, this router does not allow USB tethering, but that can be enabled by flashing Tomato.
- Smart Connect automatically selects the fastest band for all devices individually, based on their demands and capabilities
- Built-in USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports for up to 10-times faster data transfers to USB storage devices1, printer sharing, and 3G/4G dongle support
- ASUSWRT graphical user interface for easy, CD-free 30-second setup and hassle-free advanced network control.Dimension:11.4x 7.4 x2.28 inches (WxDxH) (Without Bezel)
- Protection with Trend Micro with triple-strength total network security, plus robust parental controls and privacy protection. Does not support Aimesh systems
- ASUS AiCloud 2.0 lets you access, sync, share and stream your files anywhere, on any internet-connected device. Coverage- Large homes. Wi-Fi Technology-Beamforming- standard-based and universal, 256QAM high data rate, 20/40/80 MHz bandwidth
- AiProtection with Trend MicroTM for complete network security .High performance antennas with AiRadar universal beamforming for unrivaled Wi-Fi
- 802.11ac tri-band Wi-Fi router boosts speeds up to 3200Mbps for low-latency online gaming, smooth 4K UHD video playback and extremely fast file-sharing.
If you’re on the lookout for a powerful router that is also Tomato firmware compatible, look no further than the ASUS RT-AC3200. It is a tri-band router that shares a lot of similarities with the NETGEAR Nighthawk X6 but offers a lot more for the buck. ASUS’s Smart Connect can move clients between bands and channels based on load. The powerful 3-transmit 3-receive (3T3R) antennas promise a wide coverage without dead spots.
The RT-AC3200 comes with familiar ASUS features, including Trend Micro’s AiProtection and AiMesh functionality. While ASUS’s WRT software is perfectly capable and adequate, flashing Tomato unlocks this router’s performance to the fullest.
- Up to N600 Mbps (2.4 GHz) + AC1300 Mbps (5.0 GHz) speeds with Simultaneous Dual Band
- Platform Compatibility : Windows XP, Windows Vista 32/64, Windows 7 32/64, Windows 8 32/64, Mac 10.5.8 Leopard, Mac 10.6.1 Snow Leopard, Mac 10.7 Lion or later
- Includes Linksys Smart Wi Fi providing easy CD free set up, remote network management, parental control and app enabled networking
- 1 USB 3.0 and 1 USB 2.0 port to print, share and store content. 3 adjustable external antennas provide maximum range
- Beam forming technology follows your Tablet, Smartphone or Notebook to ensure a great connection as you move around your home. Please refer the User Manual before use
- Dual Core 800Mhz CPU for lightning fast processing
- 4 gigabit ports to connect wired devices
- DLNA certified for home media management
Linksys makes routers compatible with most open-source firmware types, and the EA6900 is easily one of the best Tomato routers made by this company.
With a combined maximum throughput of up to 1.9Gbps, most home networking needs are taken care of. The included USB 3.0 port allows fast transfer of data on storage devices to other devices in the network. The EA6900 offers a tri-antenna setup that is adjustable to ensure adequate coverage. Expected Linksys features such as guest access delegation, QoS prioritization, and parental controls are available.
- Next Generation Wireless Technology - Wireless AC1750 for optimized performance and reliable coverage delivering high-quality HD video streaming, gaming and file transfers.
- Dual Band Performance - Up to 450Mbps (2.4GHz) + 1300Mbps (5GHz) to deliver fast wireless speeds and less interference for maximum throughput
- Backward Compatibility - Compatible with a/b/g/n devices
- my D-Link Cloud Management - Monitor and manage your network from anywhere
- Gigabit Speed - Four Gigabit Ethernet ports for superior device connectivity
- Easy Setup with intelligent browser wizard and Quick Router Setup Mobile app
- Preset security with advanced WPA2 encryption
The D-Link DIR-868L offers a great wireless experience. It is not the cheapest Tomato router available but supports popular Tomato firmware nicely and comprehensively. The dual-band setup ensures good range and bandwidth. The ‘myD-Link’ app allows managing the router from virtually anywhere.
The D-Link DIR-868L performs well for its price and sports a unique look compared to others in this bunch. The only downside is that the included USB 3.0 port performs at low speeds, so those looking for media sharing will be a bit disappointed. Although the antennas are internal, there have been no issues with respect to the coverage.
Best Router for Tomato – There are a lot of advantages to flashing Tomato over stock firmware. For example, you can increase the signal strength, monitor bandwidth in real-time, and configure advanced QoS settings that are simply not possible with stock firmware.
Tomato can also unlock USB sharing capabilities even if the OEM does not officially support it. Routers flashed with Tomato can function in multiple WDS modes, and the user interface is based on AJAX for responsive interaction.