Best Router Xfinity – We researched the prices, speeds, and features of dozens of Xfinity-compatible routers. After digging through the details, we found the TP-Link Archer A8 to be our budget-friendly pick, but the price is still right for several other feature-packed routers from NETGEAR and TP-Link.
And not to cave in, but the xFi Gateway modem-router combo is still a great pick if you don’t mind the rental fee. Let’s dig in and get to the juicy specs for all your best Xfinity router options.
ROUND UPback to menu ↑
1.TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000
- JD Power Award- Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Wi-Fi 6 Router: Wi-Fi 6 (802. 11ax) technology achieves up to 3x faster speeds, 4x capacity and 75% lower latency compared to the previous generation of Wi-Fi 5 while the power of Intel's dual-core CPU ensures your experience is smooth and Buffer-Free
The TP-Link Archer AX50 AX3000 is the router I recommend for you with the Blast! Pro plan (400 Mbps) or below. During testing, the router reached a speed of 690.52 Mbps from 5 feet on the 5GHz network.
Other speeds I measured were 371.87 Mbps from 25 feet and 155.54 Mbps from 50 feet. Both on the 5Ghz network.back to menu ↑
- Coverage up to 5,000 sq. ft. and for up to 100 devices. Extend coverage up to 2,500 sq. ft. with each additional satellite (sold separately)
- Ultrafast AX6000 gigabit speed with WiFi 6 technology for uninterrupted streaming, HD video gaming, and web conferencing
The Netgear Orbi RBK852 is a premium mesh system that I recommend for you with a large home that needs good coverage. During testing, the router reached 851.86 Mbps from 5 feet and 540.76 Mbps from 25 feet.
These are two impressive results that are more than enough to watch multiple 4k movies. What differentiates the Netgear Orbi RBK852 from most other mesh networks is its satellite. It’s nearly as fast as the router.back to menu ↑
- JD Power Award ---Highest in customer satisfaction for wireless routers 2017 and 2019
- Better Coverage than traditional WiFi routers: Deco M4 three units work seamlessly to create a WiFi mesh network that can cover homes up to 5, 500 sq. ft. No Dead Zone anymore
During testing, it managed to reach 317.27 Mbps on the 5GHz network from 5 feet. And 169.59 Mbps from 25 feet. This makes the router possible to use with the Blast! Pro plan. But in all honestly, it’s a better fit for the Performance Pro plan or below.
The Deca M4 also supports both parental controls and advanced QoS. Making it possible for you to restrict your children’s actives on the internet and priorities data.back to menu ↑
- Ultra-fast DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem - Has 4 GigE ethernet ports for wired connections. Active Queue Management (AQM) reduces lag for faster page loads and enhanced interactive applications. Backwards compatible with 32x8 DOCSIS 3.0. Supports gigabit speed.*
- Powerful 4x4 wifi 5 router - Power Boost, Range Boost, and AnyBeam WiFi beamforming enable quality streaming, gaming, and connecting throughout the home. MU-MIMO seamlessly manages multiple device connections.
The Motorola MG8702 a the best modem/router combo for the Xfinity Blast! Pro plan (400 Mbps). During testing, it reached 518.51 Mbps from 5 feet and 272.03 Mbps from 25 feet, both using the 5GHz network.
You could even use it with the Extreme Pro plan. But then, you will not get a Wi-Fi speed of the 800 Mbps you pay for.
The MG8702 also had a pretty good range, reaching about 80-90 feet. This should be enough for a normal-sized home as long as you place the device somewhere closer to the middle of the house.back to menu ↑
5.NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem
- COMPATIBLE WITH MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, and more. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 6Gbps
The Netgear CAX80 is a suitable modem/router combo for any Comcast Xfinity Cable internet plan. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to find its max speed. Since the house, I test the cable modems only have an 800 Mbps plan.
But the router did max it out and managed to reach 800 Mbps from 5 feet. It also measured 583.15 Mbps from 25 feet and 298.47 Mbps from 50 feet. More than any other modem/router combo I have ever tried.back to menu ↑
- 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1600 Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) WiFi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, a firewall, and more. This product is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 375 Mbps. A Broadcom cable modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks.
- Requires cable Internet service. Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, BrightHouse, WOW., CableOne, RCN, Mediacom and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable modem rental fees up to 168 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by provider). Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink and other fiber optic, DSL or satellite services. Model MG7540 does not have a phone jack. This model cannot be used for making or receiving telephone calls.
The Motorola MG7540 is the best modem/router combo for the Performance Pro (200 Mbps) plan or below. In the testing, it reached 301.85 Mbps from 5 feet and 102.38 Mbps from 25 feet. Both from the 5GHz network. Like many other, you can use this one for a better plan than I recommended. But you will lose some speed and not get all you pay for.
The cable modem is DOCSIS 3.0 with 16×4 channels. This means that the modem will work for now, but when Comcast Xfinity changes to DOCSIS 3.1 (we don’t know when), it will stop working.back to menu ↑
- Coverage up to 1,800 sq. ft. for up to 30 devices with AC1900 speed (up to 1900Mbps)
- Replaces your cable modem and Wi-Fi router, saving you up to $168/year in equipment rental fees
The Nighthawk C7000 also made our list of the best Xfinity-compatible modems, and even though it costs more than our budget pick, we think it’s a great deal. That’s because you won’t need to buy both a modem and a router to replace your Xfinity xFi Gateway. The Nighthawk C7000 is a combination modem and router, so once you get it set up, you’re good to go.
The C7000 comes with 24×8 channel bonding, which tells you what internet speeds it supports. (In this case, the C7000 supports speeds up to 960 Mbps.) Combined with its dual-band and beamforming technology, this modem-router combo is a great pick for Xfinity internet plans with speeds up to 400 Mbps.back to menu ↑
Best Router Xfinity – When you buy a router for Comcast Xfinity, one of the most important things is that the router’s real-world speed is as fast as your internet plan.
Otherwise, the router will bottleneck your internet speed, and you won’t get the internet speed you are paying for.
There are a couple of things that decide the device’s speed. Below you can learn more about them.