Best Telephony Modem – Spectrum broadband subscribers get a network-approved modem as part of their package at no extra cost. If you opt to have your own Spectrum modem, firewall, or portal, double-check that it’s compliant with your Spectrum Internet connection.
ROUND UPback to menu ↑
- Top Internet Speeds for all Multi-gigabit Speed Tiers - Wirecutter recommends this model as the best cable modem for people using Gigabit Internet plans. Built-in DOCSIS 3.1 and DOCSIS 3.0 32x8 capabilities give top Internet speeds for all cable Internet services.
- Save Money - Eliminate up to 168 dollars per year in cable modem rental fees (Savings are shown for Comcast Xfinity and vary by cable service provider.) Approved by Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, and CableOne for all speeds including Comcast Gigabit services and Cox Gigablast. Not compatible with RCN. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services, available from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others.)
Motorola is among the oldest and the most trustworthy names when it comes to network solutions. This is among the best DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems from the company, the Motorola MB8600 supports very high connection speeds – ranging up to 6,000 Mbps at the upper limit. The modem is certified by various ISP networks such as Comcast, Xfinity, and Cox, and supports their Gigabit plans really well. In fact, this is among the best modems for Gigabit connections.
Since this modem has been approved by various ISP networks, you won’t even need a rental modem from them and you could save over $150 which would otherwise have to be paid to your ISP in rental charges. The modem is also highly compatible with practically all WiFi routers which will help you ensure the fast internet reaches all over your home.back to menu ↑
2.NETGEAR Nighthawk Multi-Gig
- BUILT FOR FASTEST MULTI-GIG SPEEDS: Best for cable provider plans up to 2.5Gbps
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, COX and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, ATandT, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
One of the most prominent names when it comes to getting modems and routers for your home network, Netgear also makes some of the best DOCSIS 3.1 cable modems, and the CM1150V is a top name from the company. This modem supports speeds up to 2 Gbps and is more than enough for an entire household’s high-speed internet needs.
The modem has been certified to function really well with Comcast Xfinity internet connections, and also replaces the rental cable modem, which would otherwise cost you $168 in yearly rental. Besides that, there is no restriction on the router too, and you can purchase any router to connect with this modem without any restrictions.back to menu ↑
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 2Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps) and Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers may change over time. Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- Works with any WiFi router: Connect any WiFi router to this modem’s Ethernet port to support all your wireless devices
If you are looking for a value-for-money sort of a deal, this modem from Netgear (once again) is something that you should totally get your hands on. Priced under $200, you aren’t really getting it for ‘cheap’, but this is something that is totally worth every penny that you will be paying for it. This DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem from Netgear has impressed millions of users all over the world and is one of our favorites too.
It supports the usual list of ISPs, Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. These three companies have officially approved of it and you will not need to buy their rental modem if you own this one. Straight up, you save $168 in rental costs if you own this. This is an ideal modem for those people who require high-speed internet connections, but more so for those who need stability.back to menu ↑
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum.
- NOT COMPATIBLE with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and Cable bundled voice services
One of the best things about this product is that this is a package deal – you get one of the best DOCSIS 3.1 modem router combo, meaning you do not have to search for ‘the perfect router’ once you buy the modem. This modem is best suited for the needs of people who want a high-speed connection, but nothing too fancy – this is a modem that supports speeds up to 1.9 Gbps, but is best suited for connections that don’t require more than 400mbps speeds.
Another good thing about this modem is that it can cover a home that is as big as 1800 sq. ft., and provide a stable connectivity across all rooms. The modem is also suitable for homes that are multi-floored, and if you keep it on the ground of the first floor, the ground floor would get decent connectivity as well.back to menu ↑
5.ARRIS SURFboard SB8200
- DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem best for cable internet speed plans up to 1 Gbps. Note, a 2nd IP address is required from your cable internet provider to reach 1 Gbps.
- 32 downstream x 8 upstream DOCSIS 3 0 bonded channels, 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels
After a flurry of Netgear routers, here comes one from ARRIS. One of the first things that really stands out about this modem that makes it a top choice is the fact that it supports a very long list of Internet Service Providers. This is one of the best DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem out there, and supports high speeds of up to 2 Gbps.
This modem from Arris is, technically speaking, one of the most robust devices out there and one which will last you for a very long time. It has been designed using the 32 x 8 channel bonding technology, which ensures that the data is prioritized based on your needs and the network traffic is organized better to ensure tasks with a higher priority get better internet access. Besides that, the modem supports 2 downstream x 2 upstream OFDM DOCSIS 3 1 channels.back to menu ↑
- Integrated cable modem and WiFi 6 router provides high-performance WiFi coverage for up to 2,500 sq. ft. and 40+ devices. Expand coverage by 2,500 sq. ft. with each optional Orbi Mesh WiFi 6 satellite (sold separately)
- DOCSIS 3.1 modem supports Internet plans up to 4Gbps and is compatible with most cable service providers. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps) and Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers are subject to change over time
Perhaps the best option out there for anyone who needs a very fast and very stable wireless connection, and doesn’t want a separate router from a modem. This is a wireless router that comes in with a built-in DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem, which is an incredible option for people who wish to use it in a large home. The router supports a large number of ISPs, but comcast is not one of them, which is one drawback that you need to know up-front about.
This WiFi system from Netgear (not the last time you’re seeing this name on our list) comes with 8 simultaneous WiFi streams, which makes it very easy for you to manage multiple connections at the same time. At a coverage of 2500 sq. ft., this wireless router is just the perfect option for anyone who has a large home, or needs a multi-floor connectivity. Moreover, you can wirelessly connect over 40 devices to this router at the same time. You can even expand your wireless coverage by buying satellites which will help you beam the internet into an even larger area.back to menu ↑
7.ARRIS SURFboard SBG8300
- 3 products in 1: DOCSIS 3 1 Cable Modem, AC2350 Dual band Wi-Fi, 4 port Gigabit Router (cable digital voice service not supported)
- Compatible with major U S Cable Internet Providers including CableOne/ Sparkligh, Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Grande Communicatio, Mediacom, RCN, Service Electric, Spectrum (Charter, TWC, BHN), Wave Broadband, WOW. Not compatible with ATT, Verizon, CenturyLink or other DSL or Fiber internet providers
A cable modem and router combo that suits the needs of people who have a high-speed internet plan, the device supports connection speeds up to 4Gbps, which is quite an impressive number. It supports most major ISPs in the US, such as Cox, Spectrum and Xfinity. Given that these ISPs have approved of this modem, you don’t have to get an additional rental modem while using their internet, which saves you up to $168 annually on the rental fees.
The modem has been constructed with some of the best tech that you can find inside a cable modem. It features 32×8 DOCSIS 3.1 connectivity and comes with four ethernet ports on the back, which makes sure that you can use LAN cables to connect it with different devices such as your XBOX or PlayStation, or with printers, laptops, or other equipment that might require a direct connection for better performance.back to menu ↑
Best Telephony Modem – Charter Communications purchased Time Warner Cable, bringing their Spectrum Internet connection to more than a third of American homes. Spectrum is also the second-largest cable Internet service provider, and many people, even those who lived in areas formerly covered by Time Warner Cable, use it.