Best Wifi Cable Modem for Xfinity – The newest Xfinity modem is the xFi Gateway 3rd Generation. It supports internet speeds around 700 Mbps—less than the xFi Advanced Gateway’s 1,200 Mbps.
Xfinity’s big selling point for the 3rd Generation is that it’s light gray instead of black (no, we’re not joking—Xfinity’s support article points out the color first). It also has four Gigabit Ethernet Ports to the xFi Advanced Gateway’s two.
Otherwise, we can’t see anything special about it that differentiates the 3rd Generation from Xfinity’s xFi Advanced Gateway. Newer isn’t always better, it seems.
ROUND UPback to menu ↑
- COMPATIBLE WITH MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including Xfinity, Spectrum, Cox, and more. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- BUILT FOR ULTIMATE SPEED: Best for cable provider plans up to 6Gbps
NETGEAR is a well-established company in the internet device domain. So, no wonder they have the modem router combo to offer as well. For all those who need the best speeds, security, and great range, the NETGEAR Nighthawk CAX80 is the best choice.
This DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem router device comes in handy if you’re streaming in HD and gaming daily. You can use it with cable internet plans of up to 2 Gbps and it has up to 6 Gbps WiFi speeds, while the maximum download speed is up to 1000 Mbps.back to menu ↑
- 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1900 Dual Band (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) WiFi Gigabit Router with four Gigabit (GigE) Ethernet ports, a firewall DFS, Power Boost, and more. This product is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 375 Mbps. A Broadcom cable modem chipset provides security from Denial of Service attacks. WiFi performance is exceptionally good, even in multi-dwelling units with lots of WiFi noise from neighbors. DFS and Power Boost are key
- Requires cable Internet service. Approved by and for use with Comcast Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable, Suddenlink, WOW., CableOne and other cable service providers. Eliminate cable modem rental fees up to 156 dollars per year. (Savings are shown for Xfinity and vary by cable service provider. No cable modem is compatible with fiber optic, DSL, or satellite services from Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, Frontier, and others. Model MG7550 has no phone jack.)
The first modem router combo from Motorola features a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem plus a built-in AC1600 dual-band WiFi 1-gigabit router which gives you speeds of up to 1600 Mbps.
It comes with 4 gigabit Ethernet ports and it is best to use it with cable providers that offer speeds up to 375 Mbps. The Broadcom cable modem chipset gives you security from DoS attacks.
The MG7540 can be used with a variety of providers, such as Xfinity and Xfinity X1, Spectrum, BrightHouse, Time Warner Cable, COX, WOW!, RCN, WOW!, Mediacom and others. Note that it’s not compatible with CenturyLink, AT&T, Verizon, DSL, and satellite services.back to menu ↑
3.NETGEAR Nighthawk AC3200
- Compatible with all major cable internet providers with internet speed up to 2Gbps. Currently certified with Spectrum and Cox (up to 1Gbps) and Xfinity (up to 800Mbps). Future speeds with these service providers may change over time. Not compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service
- Save monthly rental fees: Model C7800 replaces your cable modem and Wi-Fi router saving you up to $168/year in equipment rental fees
As of Dec. 19, 2016, Netgear has issued security updates to patch a serious vulnerability in its routers, including the Nighthawk X6 AC3200. We recommend not using the router until its update is applied, so click here to find out how to install the patch.
If you thought three or four antennas would help boost 802.11ac wireless networking performance, Netgear’s Nighthawk X6 AC3200 router has six and makes the most of them with excellent range. At $300, this is one of the most expensive routers on the market, but worth it if you want wireless data everywhere.back to menu ↑
4.NETGEAR Renewed C3700-100NAR
- Netgear Certified Refurbished product is manufacturer refurbished to work and look as new with 90 Day Warranty and email support. All accessories are included with limited documentation and additional information online. Netgear recommends to udpate the firmware for the device to be up to date.
- DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem unleashes 8x faster download speeds up to 340 Mbps faster, smoother WiFi, and works with all major cable Internet providers (Not Compatible with Cable Bundled Voice Services).
If you take the excellent Netgear C3000 Cable Modem Routerand replace its router with the impressive Netgear N600 Wireless Dual Band Gigabit Router (WNDR3700), you get Netgear’s C3700 Cable Modem Router . Generally, I recommend going with a dedicated wireless router even when using a modem/router combo, but the C3700 is the lone exception.
This is the only combo modem and router I’ve tested that could make adding a dedicated wireless router unnecessary for all homes, save for those with heavy video-streaming, gaming, or advanced Wi-Fi needs.back to menu ↑
- COMPATIBLE WITH ALL MAJOR CABLE INTERNET PROVIDERS: Including certification by Xfinity by Comcast, COX, and Spectrum. NOT compatible with Verizon, AT&T, CenturyLink, DSL providers, DirecTV, DISH and any bundled voice service.
- SAVE MONTHLY RENTAL FEES: Model C6250 replaces your cable modem and WiFi router saving you up to $168/yr in equipment rental fees.
The device is compatible with the biggest providers, like Xfinity and COX, and works best with cable internet plans of up to 2-gigabit speed. It will cover up to 3000 square feet and you can connect up to 45 devices with up to 3200 Mbps on AC3200 WiFi speed.
You can connect various devices, such as printers, computers, external storage drives, game boxes, with 2 USB and 4 gigabit Ethernet ports.back to menu ↑
6.ARRIS Surfboard SB6183-RB
- APPROVED with Comcast Xfinity, Spectrum (Charter, Time Warner, Brighthouse), Cox and more. If not sure call your cable provider to find out if approved to use. REQUIRES Cable Internet Service. Not compatible with: Verizon, AT&T, or CenturyLink
- Cable Modem only (no WiFi router). NO support for Cable TELCO options
The ARRIS SURFboard SB6183 is a DOCSIS 3.0 cable modem with 16 downstream and 4 upstream bonded channels to deliver a powerful high-speed internet experience.
The SB6183 is best for internet speed plans up to 400 Mbps. Stop spending money renting your modem. Own yours today!back to menu ↑
- Model MB7621 is recommended for actual cable Internet service speeds up to 650 Mbps. Wirecutter rates this “the best modem for most people.” A Full-Band Capture Digital Tuner ensures faster, more reliable Internet.
- This cable modem's 1 Gigabit Ethernet port connects to a WiFi router, computer, HDTV, game station, or streaming video device. Great for use with Whole Home WiFi or Mesh networks like eero, Google WiFi, and Orbi. (This cable modem does not have a built-in wireless router or telephone call capability. The Motorola MG7315, MG7540, MG7550, and MG7700 have a built-in wireless router.)
When you go with this modem, you’ll eliminate the rental fees that come with your cable modem. That means you’ll enjoy a great deal of savings in the long run. The modem itself works with a large number of cable service providers, including Comcast Xfinity, Cox, Charter Spectrum, Time Warner Cable and RCN.
In our analysis of 33 expert reviews, the Motorola MB7621 24 x 8 Cable Modem Modem placed 3rd when we looked at the top 12 products in the category.back to menu ↑
Best Wifi Cable Modem for Xfinity – Considering this staggering cost, it makes sense to buy your own modem router combo. Not only will it be more practical, but you won’t have to worry about additional costs charged by your ISP. Plus, it will help you to save some space if you have a small room.
Choosing the right combo will maximize the provider plan, improve download speeds so you can stream and view in HD, as well as connect multiple devices throughout your home at once. Also, you can easily change providers since you’ll keep the devices if you move or want to change your internet plans.