Best Wired Gigabit Router – These days the world is on the internet, be it entertainment, information, business, and more. To get a hold of to all that this world can offer us, we need good access.
And to do this, a router becomes a fundamental tool that can improve many aspects of our life or make it worse in the worst case.
1.MikroTik hEX S
Pros & Cons
- Mikrotik hEX S (RB760iGS) is a five port Gigabit Ethernet router for locations where wireless connectivity is not required.
- It comes with a very powerful dual core 880 MHz CPU and 256 MB RAM, capable of all the advanced configurations that RouterOS supports.
- The device has a USB 2.0, PoE output for Ethernet port #5 and a 1.25Gbit/s SFP cage.
- 5x Gigabit Ethernet, SFP, Dual Core 880MHz CPU, 256MB RAM, USB, microSD, RouterOS L4, IPsec hardware encryption support and The Dude server package.
- IPsec hardware encryption (~470 Mbps) and The Dude server package is supported, microSD slot on it provides improved r/w speed for file storage and Dude.
MikroTik is a European company (from Latvia) founded in 1996. They managed to become one of the top SOHO router manufacturers with fanatic users worldwide.
Their router devices are based on RouterBOARD hardware running on RouterOS software.
MikroTik is an excellent option for home networks where you don’t need a wireless connection for PCs, laptops, and phones.
Pros & Cons
- 3 Gigabit Ethernet ports, CLI management for advanced users
- 1 million packets per second for 64-byte packets
- 3 Gbps total line rate for packets 512 bytes or larger
- Integrated and managed with UniFi Controller v4.x
- Secure off-site management and monitoring, Silent, fanless operation
Ubiquity is a brand known for its excellent networking devices (WiFi access points, ethernet switches, routers etc). The Unifi Security Gateway (USG) is no exception.
As the name suggests, USG runs under the UniFi umbrella and is a great option if you already have other Ubiquity devices in your network (although it works perfectly as standalone device as well).
If you have other Ubiquity devices (access points, switches etc) you can have a centralized management system (Unify Network Controller) which provides a single point of access and management for all devices in your network.
Pros & Cons
- The hEX RB750Gr3 is a five port gigabit Ethernet router for locations where wireless connectivity is not required.
- The device has a full size USB port. USB slot type is USB type A This new updated revision of the hEX brings several improvements in performance.
- It is affordable, small and easy to use, but at the same time comes with a very powerful dual core 880MHz CPU and 256MB RAM, capable of all the advanced configurations that RouterOS supports.
- CPU core count:2; Size of RAM:256 MB
- Supported input voltage:8 V - 30 V; Operating System:RouterOS
Before I forget, you get also a MicroSD slot and USB 2.0 to take advantage of as well. Using this and a flash drive, people can store necessary data for future usage.
This MicroTik product can deliver up to 1GBps bandwidth at its peak and 470Mbps when doing IPSec (used in VPN configurations). You can even aggregate any combination of its ports to create link-aggregated ports.
MicroTik comes with RouterOS (their very own OS) installed which is flexible, powerful, but a little bit hard to learn.
Pros & Cons
- Five Gigabit Ports — 1 Gigabit WAN Port + 3 Gigabit WAN/LAN Ports +1 Gigabit LAN Port. Up to four WAN ports optimize bandwidth usage through one device.
- Integrated into Omada SDN — Omada’s Software Defined Networking (SDN) platform integrates network devices including gateways, access points & switches with multiple control options offered – Omada Hardware controller or Omada Software Controller. Standalone mode also applies.
- Cloud Access — Remote Cloud access and Omada app brings centralized cloud management of the whole network from different sites—all controlled from a single interface anywhere, anytime.
- SDN Compatibility — For SDN usage, make sure your devices/controllers are either equipped with or can be upgraded to SDN version. SDN controllers work only with SDN Gateways, Access Points & Switches. Non-SDN controllers work only with non-SDN APs. For devices that are compatible with SDN firmware, please visit TP-Link website.
- Abundant Security Features — Advanced firewall policies, DoS defense, IP/MAC/URL filtering, speed test and more security functions protect your network and data.
- Highly Secure VPN — Supports up to 20× LAN-to-LAN IPsec, 16× OpenVPN, 16× L2TP, and 16× PPTP VPN connections.
- Limited Lifetime Protection — Backed by our industry-leading limited lifetime protection and free 24/7 technical support, you can work with confidence.
TP-Link is well known for manufacturing value-for-money networking devices. The TL-R605 is the successor of the successful TL-R600VPN Safestream model which has been in the market for many years.
This model is classified as SDN Router which is part of the Omada cloud SDN offering from TP-Link. Although it can be managed and work as a standalone device, the main purpose of this router is to work as part of the SDN Omada cloud.
Pros & Cons
- PERFECT FOR BUSINESSES: High-speed Ethernet connectivity with up to 900-Mbps TCP throughput for faster downloads
- SECURITY: Robust and secure VPN: secure interconnectivity, including standard IPsec, Layer 2 Tunneling Protocol (L2TP) over IPsec, and Cisco IPsec
- CONNECTIVITY: 16 ports of Gigabit for high-performance connectivity
- CONNECTIVITY: Dual WAN support allows multiple Internet connections for load balancing and failover
- PORT COUNT: 2 USB ports to support a 3G/4G modem or flash drive
- PEACE OF MIND: Limited-lifetime warranty, one-year technical support, and free software fixes for the term of the warranty
When it comes to network routers for small or large business networks, Cisco is my favorite brand. Many would agree with me, I hope. Now, I have my reasons for liking Cisco as a networking brand. Each and every product of this brand carries a signature feature that makes our lives easier.
Take the RV345 for example. One of the reasons I have chosen this model as an excellent choice for small business networks is that you will get 16 Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports with the device to work with. Add two WAN ports with them and you’ll open up a wide array of possibilities.
Pros & Cons
- Mesh Wi-Fi router provides next-gen Wi-Fi 6 speeds and whole-home mesh coverage
- Bandwidth for 50plus wireless devices and coverage for homes up to 6000 square feet
- Provides ultra-fast, reliable Wi-Fi coverage for 4K streaming, gaming, and more
- Wi-Fi 6 connectivity speeds up to 5.3 Gbps
- Connects to your existing modem (replaces current router)
- Simple setup through the easy-to-use Linksys App
- Amazon exclusive extended 3.5 year warranty
Linksys is another networking giant. Being part of Cisco and then acquired by Belkin, Linksys manufactures solid wired and wireless devices.
I have ranked this Linksys model as the best option in this list for VPN connectivity.
Many people use this router as home or small-business main router in order to connect remotely into the local network via VPN tunnels. It even supports OpenVPN for smartphone devices (iOS and Android).
7.D-Link VPN Router
Pros & Cons
- High speed router with integrated VPN tunnel support for secure remote network access
- (8) Gigabit LAN Ports plus (1) Gigabit WAN Port; 20,000 Concurrent Sessions
- Policy based service management allows for easy configuration of firewall rules
- Supports (5) SSL VPN tunnels and (10) Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) tunnels
- Simultaneously supports up to (25) IPsec VPN tunnels plus (25) additional PPTP/L2TP tunnels
- D Link Green Ethernet features save power and help cut energy costs
- Dynamic Web Content Filtering enables the administrator to allow or block access to web sites
D-Link mainly manufactures SOHO routing devices but they have also some notable options for business networks as well. The DSR 250 features one WAN Gigabit port and eight LAN Gigabit ports, so you have plenty of LAN ports for wired connections.
I was pleasantly surprised to know I could run at least 20,000 concurrent network sessions using this small device. This is important in a business network with multiple people using the Internet at once.
Best Wired Gigabit Router – If you intend to get the best-wired router, then you should check the following list of options. Not all routers can offer the same things. In turn, you will need a different router, depending on if it is for your home or your office.
In this article I have researched some great wired router models for both home and small business networks. In this blog I mostly write about configuring Cisco routers and other networking devices that are usually used in enterprise/corporate environments.