Best Internal Wifi Adapter – Throughput testing was done using NetPerf software. A desktop with a Gigabit Ethernet port is used to send the data via a wired connection to the router. Three test runs were done on each wireless adapter at each of the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies, at three distances: close, far, and fringe, with the highest throughput of each parameter reported.
The router used is the ASUS RT-AX88U, our top gaming router. The throughput is tested at a “close” 8ft (2.4m) distance with a direct line of sight, and also at a “far” 30ft (9.1m) distance with an obstructing floor and wall in the way, as well as some metal ductwork intervening.
1.TP-Link WiFi 6 AX3000
Pros & Cons
- Wi-Fi 6 Technology Powered by Intel: The latest Wi-Fi 6 standard gives you incredible speed ultra-low latency and uninterrupted connectivity with OFDMA and MU-MIMO technology Utilizing next-generation Wi-Fi 6 technology Archer TX3000E is designed to excel in even the busiest of networks for next-level entertainment
- Next-gen speeds up to 2.4Gbps Reach incredible speeds up to 2.4 Gbps (2402 Mbps on 5 GHz or 574 Mbps on 2 4 GHz) - Supports Windows 11, 10 (64bit) - Driver installation required via Website or included CD
- Minimized lag for your PC Revolutionary OFDMA reduces lag so you can enjoy ultra-responsive real-time gaming or an immersive VR experience
- Broader Coverage Two multi-directional and high-performance antennas with a magnetized base extends your existing Wi-Fi reception capabilities. Place the magnetized antenna base anywhere on your desktop to find the optimal location for signal reception. Easily install with low profile bracket.
- Bluetooth 5.0 for Greater Speeds and Coverage: Archer TX3000E is equipped with the latest Bluetooth 5.0 Technology achieving 2x faster speeds and 4x broader coverage than Bluetooth 4.2 Connect as many devices as you want including game controllers headphones and keyboards for the ultimate setup
- If you do not have a CD Rom or having difficulty with the CD please visit our homepage and search Archer TX3000E Driver is available for download on the support page for Archer TX3000E
- Please note that to utilize the Bluetooth function, the Bluetooth USB cable must be connected to a F_USB connector
The second TP-Link WiFi card we’ve selected is the AX3000. This WiFi card has some really great performance considering the price and with some additional design choices TP-Link has made, it’s built to last.
Firstly looking at the speeds, we can see that it utilizes 802.11ac wireless standard architecture which is the latest tech, ensuring gigabit broadband speeds can be fully utilized. Moreover, with its dual-band nature, you will be able to connect to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, reaching speeds of up to 867Mbps for the latter. To guarantee you’re receiving these speeds, there are two external antennae at your disposal, increasing overall wireless range and keeping it stable, perfect for those who are using a PC that is multiple rooms away from their router.
Pros & Cons
- UPGRADE YOUR WIFI PERFORMANCE: Upgrade your computer up to 1300 Mbps WiFi AC or 600 Mbps WiFi N to surf, game, and stream 4K HD video.
- PRIOR TO INSTALLATION: Please ensure Windows is up to date, then follow the Quick Installation Guide to install the latest driver.
- INCREASE YOUR WIFI COVERAGE: A high power radio with detachable high gain antennas increase WiFi coverage. 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz: 4 x 5 dBi (max.) dual band external / detachable.
- BEAMFORMING: Beamforming increases real-time performance by directing stronger wireless signals to each device's specific location.
- COMPATIBLE OPERATING SYSTEMS: The AC1900 USB Adapter is compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems. Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, and Mac OS 10.6-10.13
- TRENDnet PROTECTION: 3 Year TRENDnet Manufacturer’s Protection
There are nano adapters at the tiny end of the scale, and at the opposite end is the Trendnet TEW-809UB. This networking adapter tosses portability out the window, for faster AC1900 (N600, AC1300) speeds and serious antennas—four, to be exact, all positionable with a strength of 5 dBi each. There is only a driver provided, but no software. Instead, Windows is in control of the networking duties. The adapter does not support MU-MIMO but does support Beamforming.
In use, the Trendnet TEW-809UB is stable and fast. It puts its antennas to good use, beating every other adapter tested on our wireless fringe location testing—on both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz bands. This is a great solution if you’re using Wi-Fi in a challenging situation with a weak signal.
Pros & Cons
- AC1900 WIFI SPEEDS Up to 600Mbps on 2.4GHz and 1300Mbps on 5GHz
- DUAL BAND WIFI—Faster connections to more Wi Fi networks.System Requirements: Windows OS or Mac OS computer. Best performance with USB 3.0; compatible with USB 2.0 Microsoft Windows 7, 8, 10, (32/64 bit). Mac OS X 10.8.3 or later
- MULTIPLE OS SUPPORT—Compatible with Mac and Windows. The Windows standalone diver allows you to use a built in windows configuration tool to connect the adapter to a WiFi network
- 3x4 MIMO DESIGN—More bandwidth capacity when downloading and uploading data to and from the wireless network
- WORKS WITH ANY WIFI ROUTER— Connects to any Wi Fi and for extreme Wi Fi speed
When it comes to the best gaming routers, there are few names as ubiquitous as the Netgear Nighthawk. Netgear has been producing excellent gaming routers for some time, and the Nighthawk AC1900 brings that same performance to a portable USB adapter.
This won’t necessarily get you a blazing fast connection in your local coffee shop, but at home, you can use the included magnetic desktop cradle to ensure your rig is getting the best possible connection from your router a couple of rooms away.
4.ASUS USB-AC68 AC1900
Pros & Cons
- Instantly upgrades desktops/laptops to Dual-Band AC1900 Wi-Fi for extended coverage and higher throughput
- Powerful 3x4 MIMO design with Dual 3-position external antennas, Dual internal antennas and ASUS AiRadar beamforming
- Included USB 3. 0 cradle provides additional placement options to optimize coverage for desktops. Transmit/receive: 2. 4 GHz 3 x 4, 3 x 4 5 GHz
- Foldable external antennas provide enhanced reception for laptops when open, and portability when closed
- Increase Wi-Fi speeds by up to 300% vs. Previous Gen N900 adapters. Os support- Mac OS X 10. 10, Windows 8, Mac OS X 10. 9, Windows 8. 1, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10. 8, Mac OS X 10. 11, Windows 10, Mac OS X 10. 7
The Asus USB-AC68 adapter features a novel folding design that incorporates dual deployable antennas. It supports USB 3.0, as well as the AC1900 standard, Asus AiRadar Beamforming, and MU-MIMO via a 3×4 antenna design.
The results are a bit of a mixed bag as this Asus adapter lags in the 2.4 GHz tests at a distance. While the 5 GHz tests are much more reliable, it still wasn’t the fastest at either the close or far distance tested.
5.Edimax EW-7833UAC AC1750
Pros & Cons
- 11ac Super Fast Wi-Fi Speed: Speedy Wi-Fi 5 AC1750 Wi-Fi for HD streaming and gaming with transfer speeds up to 450Mbps (2.4GHz) or 1300Mbps (5GHz).
- USB 3.0 Interface: Unleash the full potential of 802.11ac wireless standards with faster throughput of USB 3.0 interface.
- Faster Wi-Fi with Beamforming Technology: With beamforming directional signals support, Wi-Fi performance is dramatically improved with better reliability, range and coverage and less wasted signal power.
- High Performance with 3T3R MIMO Technology: Equipped with 3x transmitting antennas and 3x receiving antennas with MIMO Technology for fast and consistent throughput.
- Flexible Foldaway Antenna: Embedded 180 degree adjustable foldaway antenna for optimum Wi-Fi performance while still works when folded for a compact design, ideal for traveling or inconspicuous usage.
- Secure Wi-Fi: Features 64/128-bit WEP, WPA & WPA2 encryption for high level of security.
- Easy One-Click Wireless Connections: Features a hardware WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button for easy wireless connections.
- PLUG-AND-PLAY SUPPORT with Windows 11. Supports Windows 7/8/8.1/10, MAC OS 10.7~10.15, and Linux 2.6.24~5.11 (Fedora & Ubuntu). Visit EDiMAX website for the latest support information and driver download.
- TRUSTED BRAND: With decades of experience in developing and manufacturing networking products, EDIMAX is committed to providing the latest networking technologies at affordable prices.
The Edimax EW-7833UAC is the update to our previous budget adapter pick, the EW-7822UAC. While many mainstream adapters suffice with AC1200 specs, this one takes it a notch up with AC1750 speeds (N450, AC1300). Installation was straightforward, with Windows 10 managing the settings. While it is similar in size to other mainstream adapters, it cleverly features a small deployable piece that contains three antennas to increase range and throughput, along with support for both MU-MIMO and Beamforming technology.
The EW-7833UAC smoked the competition, with class-leading throughput on four of the six tests, which included both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies. We came away particularly impressed on the close 5 GHz test of 298.9 Mbps, much faster than some other respectable adapters could muster.
Pros & Cons
- Supports Microsoft Windows 10, 7, 8, XP, Vista
- Lightning fast HD Video and Gaming
- Up to 867 Mbps speed on Wireless AC 5 GHz band or Up to 300 Mbps speed on Wireless N 2.4 GHz band
- Compatible with all Wireless AC 802.11ac routers, access points and extenders (Linksys, Belkin and others)
- Supports up to 128 bit encryption (WEP, WPA and WPA2)- Comes with Linksys Seal
The Linksys WUSB6300 gets termed “micro” by the Linksys folks. To be fair, it is quite small. It offers AC1200 speeds, which translates to about 860Mbps via 5 GHz, and 300Mbps on 2.4 GHz. Even with the tiny size, it supports the latest technology for wireless adapters, including MU-MIMO and Beamforming.
The WUSB6300 balances its small size against decent range and throughput. While the spec does limit the 2.4 GHz scores, the speeds on 5 GHz, even on the more extended distance tests, bring home the win for throughput on three of the six criteria for this increasingly competitive category of the adapter.
7.Ubit WiFi 6E
Pros & Cons
- #Three Band with a total speed of up to 5400Mbps, the Ubit AX210S WiFi card meets your needs whether you are using 5Ghz, 2.4Ghz or the latest 6Ghz.
- #6 GHz addresses Wi-Fi spectrum shortage by providing contiguous spectrum blocks to accommodate 14 additional 80 MHz channels and 7 additional 160 MHz channels which are needed for high-bandwidth applications that require faster data throughput such as high-definition video streaming and virtual reality.#
- #6GHz Wi-Fi offers not just a new swath of airwaves for routers to use, but a spacious swath that doesn’t require overlapping signals like on some current Wi-Fi channels. The new spectrum has enough room for up to seven maximum-capacity Wi-Fi streams to all be broadcast simultaneously and not interfere with each other — all without using any of the previously available spectrum.#
- #Minimized lag for your pc Revolutionary OFDMA reduces lag so you can enjoy ultra-responsive real-time gaming or an immersive VR experience.#
- #BT 5.2 for greater speeds and coverage. AX210S is equipped with the latest BT 5.2 Technology achieving 2x faster speeds and 4x broader coverage than BT 4.2 Connect as many devices as you want including game controllers headphones and keyboards for the ultimate setup.#
Ubit probably isn’t the first name you think of when considering Wi-Fi adapter cards. However, here we are recommending one in our best PCIe Wi-FI guide.
This Wi-Fi card not only offers good speeds and strong signal strength but also the reliability that comes with buying Ubit products. It also comes equipped with a simple antenna system, alongside strong BlueTooth connectivity too.
Best Internal Wifi Adapter – The best USB Wi-Fi adapter is about security. The security of knowing you have a networking backup should the worst happen and your gaming PC’s ethernet port or built-in Wi-Fi connection catastrophically falls over. So much of our life is spent online that when it’s suddenly absent it can feel like a limb’s missing, so it’s worth having a backup internet pipe available should the worst happen.
Obviously, in an ideal world, a wired connection will provide better stability and throughput—especially in combination with the best gaming router—but having cables strewn across the floor isn’t always an option. So, we’ve brought together a list of our favorite USB Wi-Fi adapters, to help you decide which one best suits your situation.