Best Usb Wifi Adapter for Linux – Choosing network expanders can indeed be tiresome – especially for Linux users. As time progresses, more and more devices are offering Linux-compatible devices.
You can trust any of the devices mentioned above to do the job for you. All the network adapters mentioned in this article will work effortlessly on Linux OS. Feel free to choose whichever model best suits your needs, according to the Buyer’s Guide provided above
1.TP-Link USB WiFi
Pros & Cons
- USB Wi-Fi Adapter: Upgrade your Wi-Fi speeds up to 150 Mbps for lag free video streaming and Internet calls
- Stronger Wi Fi Coverage: 2.4GHz band Wi Fi covers your house everywhere
- Mini Design: allows you to plug it in and forget it is even there; Wireless modes ad hoc/ infrastructure mode; Wireless security supports 64/128 WEP, WPA/WPA2, WPA psk/WPA2 psk (TKIP/AES), supports IEEE 802.1x
- Industry leading support: 2 Year and Free 24/7 technical support
- Compatibility: Compatible with Windows (XP/7/8/8.1/10/11) Mac OS (10.9 - 10.15) Linux Kernel (2.6.18 - 4.4.3)
- Driver installation may be required, Please go to TP-Link website for the latest driver for your operating system
- Please note that TL-WN725N is 2.4GHz only and does not support 5G
TP-liNK – model TL-WN722N v.1.0. The device has been produced for several years and in terms of technical characteristics, by current standards, it does not represent anything outstanding – the maximum wireless connection speed is only 150 Mbps.
A feature of the model is the presence of an external removable antenna with a gain of 4 dBi, which, according to the manufacturer, can significantly increase the signal power.
2.Panda Wireless PAU06 300Mbps
Pros & Cons
- Works with any 2.4Ghz wireless g/n routers. Max. wireless connection speed: 300Mbps. Supports both infrastructure and ad-hoc modes. Security: WEP 64/128bit, WPA, WPA2, 802.1x and 802.11i, Cisco CCS V1.0, 2.0 and 3.0 compliant.
- Multi-OS support: 32-bit and 64-bit Windows XP/Vista/7/8/10, MX LInux, Manjaro, Linux Mint, Ubuntu, Lubuntu, OpenSUSE, RedHat, Fedora, CentOS, Kali Linux, Raspbian. NO Mac support for Panda Wireless PAU06.
- The Panda Wireless PAU06 adapter is designed to run on an Intel/AMD based PC or Raspberry Pi 0/1/2/3/4. It doesn't work with any Digital Media Players, Digial Video Recorders, Netwok-Attached Storage devices, Playstations, Security Cameras, etc. Please consult Panda Wireless if you want to use Panda Wireless PAU06 on any non Intel/AMD-based systems.
- If you want to use Panda Wireless PAU06 with a guest OS like Kali in a Virtual Machine, please contact Panda Wireless for more info. In general, we recommend our customers to use Panda Wireless PAU06 on a computer running a supported operating system in the list above.
- Technical Support and Warranty - Please email or call Panda Wireless Technical Support or your seller if you have any problems or warranty issues about your Panda Wireless PAU06 adapter, we will respond to your email/call within 24 hours.
This is yet another network adapter made by Panda Wireless, but it comes with a twist. This model has dual high gain 5dBi Antennas, which ensures an extended and stable wireless connection!
If you are living in a Wi-Fi congested area with airwaves being intermitted from various 2.4GHz band routers, this can be a nuisance for your wireless network adapter to catch. If this is the case, the higher connection speed of the Panda wireless 5GHz is worth looking into. This model also supports the standard security features of 64b/128bit WEP, WPA, and WPA2 (TKIP+AES) to keep freeloaders at bay.
3.Cudy AC 1300Mbps
Pros & Cons
- AC1300 WiFi SPEED - Up to 400Mbps on 2.4GHz and 867Mbps on 5GHz. Provides long range and lag free connection throughout the house, upgrades your PCs /laptops to 802.11ac, 3 times faster than wireless N speeds.
- USB 3.0 PORT - Unlike other AC1200 USB 2.0 Wireless adapters, this product offers a blazing fast USB 3.0 port. The maximum speed of USB 2.0 port is only 480Mbps, absolutely cannot meet the high speed of 867Mbps on 5GHz, so if you buy a AC1200 wifi adapter with a usb 2.0 port, it is impossible to reach the peak speed of 5GHz 867Mbps even in theory. But USB 3.0 is different, its transmission speed is 10 times of USB 2.0 Port , which can fully meet the AC1300 Wi-Fi speed transmit requirement.
- HIGH GAIN ANTENNA. 5dBi High gain antenna boosts sensitivity of the WiFi adapter, create connections over greater distances, providing powerful penetration through walls.
- GOOD COMPATIBLITY. Compatible with Windows 10/8.1/8/7, Linux and Mac OS. Works with any router. We offer a CD which contains the driver in the package, you can follow the paper instructions to install the driver. In the same time, if a CD ROM is not convenient for you, we also offer a download address which printed on the manual, you can get the driver from the link.
- SOFT-AP. With Soft-AP mode, this Wireless USB adapter can turn a wired internet connection to a PC or Laptop into a Wi-Fi hotspot, offer WiFi signal to your mobile devices.
- Note: Not support macOS Big Sur
Why is it the best Linux Wi-Fi adapter at this band, you ask? Because of the speed, the adapter offers 400 MBps of speed at 2.4 GHz, whereas other adapters usually provide a maximum of 300.
Additionally, the Cudy WU1300S also comes bundled with a CD ROM for driver installation, a feature that many Wi-Fi adapters lack. If you prefer online driver installation, you can also download the necessary drivers from the Cudy website.
The Soft AP mode is a special mode that this device supports. This mode can create a Wi-Fi hotspot out of a wired internet connection on a PC or laptop. Essentially, the Soft AP mode is a convenient mode for creating a Wi-Fi hotspot on the go.
Another mode this device supports is Ad hoc mode and infrastructure mode. By selecting the mode users want to use, they can choose the Wi-Fi options they want.
4.BrosTrend Linux USB
Pros & Cons
- MULTI-OS SUPPORTED: Compatible with Linux Kernels up to 5.18, Ubuntu 22.04 ~ 16.04, Debian 11~8, Linux Mint 20.3~18, LMDE 5~1, Kali Linux, Pop!_OS, Raspberry Pi OS (Raspbian) 11/10/9/8, MATE, GNOME, Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, Ubuntu Studio, Budgie, Kylin, MX Linux, Elementary OS, Zorin OS, KDE neon, antiX Linux, Q4OS, Parrot OS, PureOS, Bodhi, deepin, Linux Lite, SparkyLinux, Peppermint OS, Devuan; Windows 11/10/8.1/8/7
- SUPPORTED ARCHITECTURES: x86_64/x86_32 (PCs, VirtualBox..), aarch64/armhf (Raspberry Pi 2+, Odroid...). Unsupported distributions: RHEL, CentOS, openSUSE, OpenWrt, Guix, Puppy, Tails, Endless OS.
- FAST WI-FI SPEED: You can get 867Mbps Wi-Fi speed on 5GHz band or 300Mbps speed on 2.4GHz band, best choice for online 4K video streaming, gaming, high quality music and Youtube by using this AC1200 dual band Ubuntu wireless adapter; it can work 4 times faster than 802.11b/g/n USB wireless adapter
- MULTIPLE WORKING MODES: This Linux compatible usb wifi adapter supports these mode: Monitor mode, IBSS, Managed, AP, P2P-client, P2P-GO
- ADVANCED ENCRYPTION SECURITY: Secure Your Devices and Network Privacy by Supporting Wireless Encryption: WPA2/WPA/WEP, AES/PSK/TKIP, 802.1x
- Currently it is NOT compatible with any other distributions based on RPM such as: CentOS, openSUSE, RedHat...
- NOTE: The chipset model number is Realtek RTL8812BU or RTL8822BU.
The BrosTrend Linux USB WiFi Adapter is a wireless dongle that supports many versions and distros of Linux.
Whether you’re on Linux Mint, Raspberry Pi OS, Ubuntu, or Kali Linux, you can use this USB WiFi dongle to browse the internet, stream a 4K video, or play online video games. Of course, you’ll need a 4K monitor for streaming 4K video. The device can run on any computer or laptop with a USB 3.0 port.
This USB Linux Wi-Fi adapter model is dual-band, supporting both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz wireless connection frequencies. For gaming and streaming 4K video, 5GHz is an excellent choice.
Furthermore, the BrosTrend Linux USB WiFi Adapter supports the IEEE 802.11ac protocol, allowing a maximum theoretical 1200 MBps data transfer rate over a network.
Pros & Cons
- Wireless Standards IEEE 802.11ac/a/b/g/n
- Wireless Frequency: 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz; Wireless Data Rate: 2.4 GHz-up to 300 Mbps, 5 GHz-up to 867 Mbps.
- Interface: USB-C (includes cable); Antenna Type: 2 x Dual-Band High-gain detachable antenna.
- Wireless Security: WEP, WPA, WPA2, WPA3 WPA/PSK, WPA2-PSK
- Operating System: Windows Vista 32/64bit; Windows 7 32/64bit; Windows 8/8.1 32/64bit; Windows10 32/64bit; Mac OS 10.4 or later; Linux kernel 4.19 or later
Alfa has released two new wireless USB adapters with one being an updated version of the Alfa AWUS036ACH.
The old version of the Alfa AWUS036ACH used a USB 3.0 Micro-B connection which while fast has not been used by many hardware manufactures in laptops, desktops, or smartphone.
Type-C USB is widely used on new devices and the replacement for the older standard USB ports.
Pros & Cons
- UPGRADE YOUR WIFI PERFORMANCE: Upgrade your computer up to 1300 Mbps WiFi AC or 600 Mbps WiFi N to surf, game, and stream 4K HD video.
- PRIOR TO INSTALLATION: Please ensure Windows is up to date, then follow the Quick Installation Guide to install the latest driver.
- INCREASE YOUR WIFI COVERAGE: A high power radio with detachable high gain antennas increase WiFi coverage. 2.4 GHz / 5 GHz: 4 x 5 dBi (max.) dual band external / detachable.
- BEAMFORMING: Beamforming increases real-time performance by directing stronger wireless signals to each device's specific location.
- COMPATIBLE OPERATING SYSTEMS: The AC1900 USB Adapter is compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems. Windows 10, 8.1, 8, 7, Vista, XP, and Mac OS 10.6-10.13
- TRENDnet PROTECTION: 3 Year TRENDnet Manufacturer’s Protection
If you want to bring wireless networking to your desktop or have an older, 802.11n-equipped laptop that you want to update with 802.11ac capability, the Trendnet AC1900 High Power Dual Band Wireless USB Adapter (TEW-809UB) can help.
This 802.11ac USB adapter installs in minutes, and delivered speedy scores in our close-proximity throughput tests. Despite its four external high-gain antennas, however, it frequently dropped its Wi-Fi signal in our 30-foot range tests. It might still be a good fit for you if you plan to keep your PC in the same room as your router.
7.USB WiFi Adapter
Pros & Cons
- Ultimate Wireless Range: Equipped with two 5dBi long range WiFi antennas, this WiFi dongle ensures extended WiFi connectivity and superior stability on your desktop, laptop, and PC.
- Excellent WI-FI Speed: Upgrade your PC to 802.11ac with the ultra-fast AC1750 wireless adapter speed, you can get up to 1300Mbps wireless speed on the 5.8GHz WiFi band, or up to 450Mbps on the 2.42GHz WiFi band.
- Simple Installation: With USB 3.0 port, this WiFi card is easy to connect to computers or other devices. It’s 10 times faster than USB2.0. The installation is simple.
- Wi-Fi Hot Spot: If your computer is connected to a wired network, you can use the Soft AP feature to create hotspots. Your mobile devices can connect to a wireless network via the hot spot.
- Wide Compatibility: Compatible with Windows 10/8/7/XP/Vista, Mac OS. Note: the driver does not support Mac OS 11.0.1 or above
Small Wi-Fi adapters just won’t cut it when it comes to amping up your wireless network range. That’s where the Techkey High Gain 5dBi Antennas USB Adapter steps in.
This device by Techkey is a USB Wi-Fi adapter designed to work with many Linux versions. So rest assured, you’ll be able to configure this device with operating systems built on the latest version of the Linux Kernel. So naturally, this includes Kali Linux as well.
The dual-band Wi-Fi capability allows you to switch between 5.8 GHz for 1300 MBps Wi-Fi speed and shorter range, or 2.42 GHz for 450 MBps Wi-Fi speed and more extended range. Both speeds are exceptionally high compared to their competitors on the market.
Speaking of range, the best part about this model compared to other devices is its dual 5dBi antennas. Additionally, the antennas are fully adjustable and can be rotated 360-degrees to improve reception.
Best Usb Wifi Adapter for Linux – The Linux operating system is everywhere; the Linux kernel has revolutionized modern-day computing from Android smart devices, web servers, and even supercomputers.
It’s not just Android smartphones and web servers running Linux, though; over 2.4% of all desktop computers worldwide are running some version of the Linux operating system as of August 2021. Mac OS X and Windows 10 are not the only viable operating systems on the market anymore.
Unfortunately, despite the relatively large market share of Linux OS users, very few hardware manufacturers support Linux. That’s why your wireless connection on Linux, mainly if you use an old laptop or computer, may suffer due to a lack of compatible drivers.